Earlier this week, Sony announced they planned to save MGM's ass and distribute Bond 23 and Bond 24. Now Fox has stepped in to help with the ass-saving-process. The studio announced they'll renew their home distribution deal with MGM, including both DVD and Blu-rays. There's some more details, so check 'em out in the release below:
MGM announced today that the company has renewed its worldwide Blu-ray Disc and DVD distribution pact with Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment through 2016. As part of the new agreement, Fox will now oversee electronic-sell-through for MGM titles and will continue to handle MGM's vast and extensive movie and television library, as well as distribute several upcoming new release productions in the home entertainment market, including the next JAMES BOND film, set for global theatrical release on November 9, 2012."
"Twentieth Century Fox is a valued partner that has taken great care of the MGM library for many years with the highest degree of integrity," said Gary Barber and Roger Birnbaum, Co-Chairmen and Chief Executive Officers of MGM. "They are a tremendous asset to the studio as we look towards the future."
"MGM and UA have made enormous contributions throughout the history of film, and we're proud to be part of that legacy," said Fox Filmed Entertainment's chairmen and CEO's Jim Gianopulos and Tom Rothman. "We're delighted that we are extending our partnership with the studio under the leadership of our friends Gary and Roger."
Twentieth Century Fox began managing MGM's international home video distribution in 1999. The flourishing partnership expanded in 2006 when MGM signed a worldwide distribution pact with Fox. Fox's home entertainment group has enhanced the MGM legacy by maximizing key franchises and legendary films from the library that include JAMES BOND, ROCKY and WEST SIDE STORY. Additionally, Fox leveraged MGM's deep catalog to offer a selection of never before released classic films and TV shows via CreateSpace's DVD On-Demand service.
"The MGM brand has become part of our DNA," said Mike Dunn, President Worldwide, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment. "We are privileged to handle this incredible library of acclaimed films, many that rank as the most commercially and critically successful films of all time."
The Gladiator star is keen to reprise his role as Jack Aubrey in the film based on the Napoleonic Wars.
And he's posted a message on Twitter.com in a bid to garner support from his fans to help resurrect the film.
He writes, "If you want a Master and Commander sequel I suggest you e-mail (film executive) Tom Rothman at Fox and let him know your thoughts."
And Crowe's appeal has already worked - a Fox spokesperson has revealed the company has so far been inundated with requests for the movie and admits staff are now looking into the prospect.
In a post on Twitter.com, the representative writes, "Getting a lot of tweets about Master & Commander sequel, I'll look into it (I'd love one, too, but as you all know a LOT goes into it.)"
After a lengthy bidding war between the major studios, 20th Century Fox has emerged victorious in the battle for Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. The studio moves immediately into pre-production on the fictional period actioner, which was penned by Seth Grahame-Smith (based on his own acclaimed novel).
Timur Bekmambetov returns to the directing chair for the first time since 2008's Wanted on Vampire Hunter. He'll also produce the picture along with his 9 collaborator Tim Burton. The narrative kicks off after President Lincoln's mother is killed by a supernatural creature, which fuels his passion to crush vampires and their slave-owning helpers.
Since Steven Spielberg's Lincoln seems doomed to an existence in development purgatory, my hope is that the heavy-hitting combo of Burton and Bekmambetov can persuade Liam Neeson (long attached to play the 16th President of the USA in the fore mentioned biopic) to take on the role after all. It would be a shame for the Oscar nominated thespian to have wasted years of research and preparation on a part that he'd never get to play, so I would think he'd at least entertain the idea of slaying the undead in this $70 million budgeted production.
Or perhaps a healthy paycheck can convince him to work on the film. Fox was reportedly very enthusiastic about getting the rights to the film, as Variety claims they went all out to win the project. Aside from giving a detailed pitch for the film's production, marketing and release, executives Tom Rothman, Jim Gianopulos and Emma Watts greeted the filmmakers on their lot with a Comic-Con worthy banner, parking signs stating: “Parking for Vampire Hunters Only, Park at your own risk" and bloody footprints lining the walkway and steps leading from their cars to the meeting. If the company was willing to go to these lengths to nab the film itself, maybe they'll be willing to go the extra mile to attract a bankable, beloved and believable star like Neeson. Normally I'm not crazy about Fox's business tactics, but this kind of support shows that it is committed to delivering the best possible genre film it can.
Just another reason to be excited for the next two years of Hollywood films...
I've been getting pretty excited about Matthew Vaughn's upcoming X-Men: First Class prequel all summer, which is why it's so distressing to hear how 20th Century Fox appears to be manhandling the movie's production of late, forcing last-second recasting and rushing the pre-production process.
After a string of box office disappointments - Knight and Day, The A-Team, Marmaduke - Fox realized they couldn't afford to fail yet again. Studio exec Tom Rothman reportedly became "adamant" that the 28-year-old Benjamin Walker, who was originally cast as Beast (a choice we thoroughly approved of) be dropped from the project, in order to search out a younger, sexier actor. In other words, Rothman wanted to give X-Men the Twilight treatment.
It's not a confusing decision: the studio cares first and foremost about their bottom line, and if they think they can squeeze more money out of the X-Men franchise by hiring the next Taylor Lautner, that's exactly what they'll do. In fact, there have been rumors that Fox is currently looking at Lautner's schedule before offering him the role, though the Twilight phenom's shooting schedule for Abduction will likely preclude his involvement. Still, it's a damn shame that Rothman and Fox feel they have to meddle with the creative process of First Class in order to manufacture a hit; isn't that precisely the kind of attitude that has undermined so many films of late?
Meanwhile, Fox execs screen-tested a number of actors after canning Walker, only to shrug their shoulders and offer him the role right back! Unfortunately, it's too late: Walker has now declined the re-offer and will reprise his starring gig in the off-Broadway hit musical "Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson", which is coming to Broadway. So assuming Lautner can't change up his schedule, that means the Beast casting is back to square one. Thanks for nothing, Fox.
Source: ScreenRant, Showbiz411
The $64,000 question has been answered. Steven Spielberg will make his next directing effort with a contemporary adaptation of Harvey, the play that the James Stewart classic film was based upon. The movie will be co-financed by 20th Century Fox and DreamWorks Studios.
Fox Chairmen Jim Gianopulos and Tom Rothman and DreamWorks partners Stacey Snider and Spielberg announced the project -- which marks one of the first new initiatives from the reconstituted DreamWorks -- on Sunday.
Casting and preproduction will gear up immediately with an eye to shoot at the start of 2010, the trades report. Variety notes that Spielberg may look to Tom Hanks and Will Smith as possible stars.
Jonathan Tropper, a novelist, will write his first screenplay, creating a contemporary adaptation of Mary Chase's Pulitzer Prize-winning play about a man and his invisible, giant rabbit.
The first big-screen adaptation in 1950 was a Universal film.
Spielberg and Don Gregory will produce.
Distribution rights are yet to be determined. DreamWorks will finance 50% of the production through its new funding relationship with Reliance and distribute either domestically or internationally through its arrangement with Disney.
As The Wrap notes, the announcement also signals that DreamWorks is close to finalizing some of the funding that it has been awaiting from a consortium of U.S. banks and the Indian media conglomerate, Reliance ADA Group.
An executive close to the deal told TW the funding would be done "within days."
Full story: http://power.networksolutions.com/index.html
MORE NEWS: Miller Urges Privacy over Law's Lovechild
Fox chairman Tom Rothman has given comic-book fans the news they all wanted to hear: The giant, planet-devouring character Galactus will appear towards the end of the Fantastic Four sequel.
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer will be released next year and is based on one of publisher Marvel's most celebrated stories--the battle between the Silver Surfer and Fantastic Four, until the Surfer switches sides and fights against his master, Galactus.
There were rumors Galactus was being saved for a Silver Surfer spin-off movie but Rothman insists he will feature heavily in the sequel to last year's box office hit.
Rothman says, "I don't want to give too much away but I will say this: Galactus will appear and fans will not be disappointed."
Article Copyright Entertainment News Network All Rights Reserved.
The National Society of Film Critics has honored director Roman Polanski's Holocaust drama The Pianist with four awards, including best picture and best director. The group also named Adrien Brody as the year's best actor and gave scribe Ronald Harwood top screenplay honors. The New York-based National Society of Film Critics consists of 55 members who write for many of the United States' major newspapers and magazines. Along with other critics' groups, their picks normally help narrow the list of possible nominees for Oscars; this year, however, film critics' choices have been across the board, making predictions difficult to call.
Actress and singer Jennifer Lopez is denyin rumors that she and her beau, actor Ben Affleck, plan to tie the knot on Valentine's Day in a $1.5 million wedding ceremony. According to The Associated Press, Lopez told a Brazilian newspaper, "We don't know when the wedding will be. We need to sit down together and choose a date." The interview, conducted at a new York hotel, was published Sunday in the Rio de Janeiro newspaper Jornal do Brasil.
Actor George Clooney, whose directorial debut Confessions of a Dangerous Mind premiered last Tuesday, said he will not direct again for a while, the AP reports. "I need to go make a living somewhere," Clooney told a crowd at a special screening of his film at the 14th annual Palm Springs International Film Festival. Clooney added that starring in and directing film was a little harder than he thought. "You can't yell at the director when you're acting," he said.
A judge ruled that actor Paul Reubens, best known for playing Pee-wee Herman, will be allowed to challenge evidence against him in a misdemeanor child pornography case, the AP reports. Reubens, who was not present at Friday's hearing in Los Angeles, pleaded innocent to one count of possession of material depicting children under 18 engaging in sexual conduct. The charge stems from a search in November 2001 of Reuben's home.
Twentieth Century Fox is mounting an aggressive pursuit of top Oscar nominations for the sci-fi thriller Minority Report and its star Tom Cruise, which the studio claims is being ignored by the Golden Globes and critics' associations. "There has been a weird Academy bias against sci-fi," Fox chairman Tom Rothman told Variety. "There is that historical genre hurdle to cross."
Networks are kicking off the year with series and season premieres--20 big-ticket projects--making January look more like September, according to Variety. The shows range form dramas, such as NBC's Mister Sterling and CBS' Queen Supreme, and reality, including Fox's Joe Millionaire and the WB's The Surreal Life. After weeks of holiday reruns, TV's existing hits will return with original episodes, including FX's The Shield and The Dead Zone.
Outgoing Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura, who has been in negotiations for several months with MSNBC to have his own program, is dropping hints about the gig. "As of Monday, you will fear me," he told reporters at a news conference Friday. "I'm having a party tomorrow night. Well, my new boss will be there. And that's all I'm going to say," Ventura later said in a follow-up radio interview.
A publicist for Tom Hanks said the actor never made an appearance at Phish's New Year's Eve concert at Madison Square Gardens in New York. "There is no way he would come to New York for New Year's Eve," spokeswoman Wendy Morris told the AP. During the song "Wilson," a clip of Hanks' movie Castaway was played and a man who looked like the actor appeared on stage.
North American concert ticket sales hit a record $2.1 billion last year, thanks in part to acts such as Paul McCartney and the Rolling Stones--and fans who shelled out up to $350 each for tickets. According to Reuters, data collected by concert trade publication Pollstar showed that while ticket prices for the top 100 acts averaged $46.56 per ticket, major acts like McCartney averaged $129.92 per ticket. Pollstar editor Gary Bongiovanni blamed high ticket prices on greedy rock stars who cripple the industry by demanding hefty guarantees from promoters.
Yes, you heard that right.
Variety reports 20th Century Fox and 19 Entertainment are seriously considering moving forward on a feature film based on the Fox TV American Idol phenomenon.
Idol creator Simon Fuller, who runs 19 Entertainment, confirmed to Variety last week he was developing a feature film revolving around winner Kelly Clarkson and runner-up Justin Guarini, mixing real-life adventures with scripted hijinks.
At a Morgan Stanley communication conference Tuesday in Miami, Fox studio co-chairman Tom Rothman told investors there was a "good chance" they would be developing the project with Fuller, which would represent a happy merger within parent News Corp.
According to Variety, Fuller responded in a statement, saying "I'm very happy to extend my relationship with Fox and News Corp. I'm also looking forward to working closely with my brother Kim Fuller and repeating the success we had together with Spice World."
American Idol's two-hour finale Sept. 4 brought in 22.8 million viewers, giving Fox its second-best total to date.
A week before the much-delayed "Lost Souls" is finally set to open, Winona Ryder received cemented proof that her star power is solid.
The 28-year-old actress received her star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame today, making her the 2,165th recipient of the honor (and 62 years younger than last week's recipient, Gloria Stuart).
Surrounded by a crowd of camera-happy fans and an equally obsessive press, Ryder was moved and emotional as she was showered with praise by "Bram Stoker's Dracula" co-star Anthony Hopkins; Johnny Grant, chairman of the Walk of Fame committee; and Tom Rothman, chairman of Fox Films.
"This is by far the most surreal thing that's happened to me in my life," Ryder, sporting longer, lighter hair and a cleavage-baring beige dress, said in her acceptance speech. "This is really difficult because this is so huge for me. It's the only time I'll ever be able to say I'm thrilled to get walked all over."
After the ceremony, Ryder was still overwhelmed.
"I didn't think I would get emotional. ... I think it's the fan in me. I love movies so much, so to be included in this way by this industry is monumental to me," she said.
Since her film debut in 1986's "Lucas," Ryder's 15-year career has included Academy Award-nominated roles in "The Age of Innocence" and "Little Women," quirky films such as "Heathers" and "Edward Scissorhands," and an executive-producing credit for last winter's "Girl, Interrupted."
Her star resides directly in front of the Johnny Grant building next to the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel on Hollywood Boulevard, where Grant says he can "watch over her every day."
Hail to the new chief at Fox…. Actually, make that chiefs.
James Gianopulos, president of 20th Century Fox Intl., and Tom Rothman, president of 20th Century Fox Film Group, have been tapped as joint chairmen of Fox Filmed Entertainment, Daily Variety reports today.
Gianopulos is a top leader in international distribution, while Rothman's background includes movie production.
Fox says the pair will "jointly run the company with equal responsibilities."
The post has been vacant since the departure of then-Fox Chairman Bill Mechanic in June.