Idris Elba and Taraji P. Henson's thriller No Good Deed has topped the North American box office with an opening weekend $24.5 million (GBP14.4 million) take. The thriller beat out Dolphin Tale 2, which comes in second place with $16.5 million (GBP9.7 million).
Dropping to third spot is Guardians of the Galaxy, while Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Let's Be Cops round out the new top five.
G.I. Joe: Retaliation star Adrianne Palicki is engaged to wed top stuntman Jackson Spidell. The couple met in October (13) on the set of forthcoming assassin thriller John Wick, in which Spidell performed stunts for Palicki's co-star Keanu Reeves, and now the pair is set to tie the knot.
It will be the first marriage for the 31-year-old actress, whose representative has confirmed the engagement news to Eonline.com.
The groom-to-be's impressive list of film credits include this year's (14) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and last year's (13) The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters and The Expendables 2, in which he doubled for action man Chuck Norris.
Spidell has also appeared in Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, Conan the Barbarian, and TRON: Legacy, while he also served as assistant fight co-ordinator on The Twilight Saga: Eclipse.
Guardians Of The Galaxy is continuing to soar high in the North American box office charts after scoring a fourth week at number one. The superhero space adventure racked up another $10.2 million (£6 million) in profits, taking its six-week total to $294.6 million (£173.29 million) to maintain its title as the highest-grossing movie of the year (14) so far.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles remains at two for another week with $6.5 million (£3.8 million), while Chloe Grace Moretz's new romantic drama If I Stay, based on the young adult book of the same name, is also a non-mover at three with $5.7 million (£3.35 million).
Let's Be Cops and The November Man round out the new top five.
Walt Disney Pictures/Marvel
The Guardians Of The Galaxy have ended the summer on a high by becoming the year's highest grossing moving in the U.S..
The action film's $16.3 million (GBP9.6 million) Labor Day weekend take was enough to take it back to the top of the box office for a third week, overtaking fellow Marvel Studios superhero blockbuster Captain America: The Winter Soldier along the way.
Guardians of the Galaxy has now made over $274 million (GBP161 million) since its release at the beginning of August (14).
The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles remake comes in second with $11.8 million (GBP6.9 million) and Chloe Grace Moretz's new movie If I Stay rounds out the new top three. Low-budget horror film As Above, So Below is the week's highest debut, entering the U.S. box office at four with an estimated $8.3 million (GBP5.2 million).
Today, August 29th, 2014 marks the 21st birthday of Liam Payne. Daddy Direction can legally drink in America! An important thing for us grown-up Directioners. To celebrate the day, we’ve got 21 fun-facts about Liam. Not that boring stuff, like his zodiac sign (Virgo) or his middle name (James, just like his band-mate Niall Horan).
1. He is afraid of spoons. It’s not that weird, it’s kind of cute.
2. Of the band, he’s the only one who comes to work with his hair done. The other band members show up with their hair all over the place, but he won’t leave his house without doing his hair.
3. If he wasn’t a singer, he would make a fabulous journalist:
He might have been drunk, but he actually asked all the questions a fan wanted to know after watching the Brit Awards.
4. His favorite film is the Toy Story trilogy.
5. Liam once told TOTP that he had the best dance moves and he was, “The king of the dance floor!” With his signature 1-2-3 flick. Recognize those moves anywhere?
6. Liam’s dream job, aside from the one he is currently living as a pop-star, is a fire fighter.
7. He once had his underwear stolen (and then later worn) by a fan.
8. If Liam could invent an ice cream flavor, it would be “Krispy Kreme Donut.”
9. He once confessed to owning a pair of pink hair straighteners. We can see the evidence of that here.
10. He has said that Justin Timberlake is one of his biggest inspirations. He also sang “Cry Me A River,” at his 2010 X Factor audition. Good thing too, since look where that got him!
11. Once, he was asked what food he would be, he responded: “I’d be 7 bananas because it’s too much potassium and that’s dangerous.” Gotta love a bad boy.
12. His favorite color is still purple (had to include this because it’s adorable).
13. Liam once had no idea what YOLO and DTF stood for, so he guessed “Yummy Oreos Love Origami” and “Dedicated To Fans.” Better abbreviations, in my honest opinion.
14. Liam wishes he’d written the song “99 Problems,” by Jay Z. We wonder why?
15. All of his band-mates have said he’s got the best abs in the group. We cannot deny this.
16. Liam has a man-crush on Twilight star Taylor Lautner.
17. He has two pet turtles named Boris and Archimedes. He also has an adorable little husky named Loki (with his ex-girlfriend Danielle Peazer).
liam w/ loki is the cutest thing ever #liampayne pic.twitter.com/QM04PgaUru
— Hana (@hana1999hana) August 26, 2014
18. One time Liam was left behind and when the tour bus took off, he started running after it while waving his arms. The rest of the band mistook him for a fan at first.
19. Until he was 19-years-old, Liam suffered from kidney problems (1 scarred and dysfunctional kidney) that kept him from drinking and he had to lead a very careful life. Luckily, he’s all healthy now and can legally drink with his American fans!
20. The one person guaranteed to make him laugh is band-made, Louis Tomlinson! “Even if I’m in a situation where I’m mad at him, the person that can make me smile is Louis. Whatever happens he’ll make me laugh about something.”
21. One of Liam’s tattoos (the feather and lyrics) is dedicated to his Nan.
Happy Birthday Liam! We hope you have an awesome day and get to relax a little, if that's possible to do in the middle of a world tour.
Which is your favorite Liam fact? Tweet us yours along with the hashtag #Happy21stBirthdayLiam!
Follow @hollywood_com | Follow @analuisasrz
Megan Fox showed off her ball skills when she threw the first pitch at a baseball game in Seoul, South Korea on Wednesday (27Aug14). Fox, who was in the country to promote her new movie Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, wore the Doosan Bears official team shirt for her big moment.
Guardians Of The Galaxy has returned to the top of the U.S. box office to become the highest-grossing film of the summer (14). The superhero film, which stars Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana and Vin Diesel, earned $17.6 million (GBP10.4 million) in its fourth weekend on release (23-24Aug14), taking its total to $251.9 million (GBP148.2 million).
Coming in at number two is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles with $16.8 million (GBP9.9 million), while Chloe Grace Moretz's If I Stay takes the third spot with $16.4 million (GBP9.6 million).
Rounding out the top five are Let's Be Cops and When the Game Stands Tall.
Jimmy Fallon is tired of bad news. We feel the same way as The Tonight Show host. Bad news kind of sucks. So, Jimmy went out and asked some local NBC News anchors to start reporting good news! Or at least, news that they wish was real. These reports are spreading joy in a new segment, "I've Got Good News and Good News."
Watch Jimmy’s happy news report below:
These reports might be made up, but they’re not all false. Turtles and dance parties are, in fact, awesome. I'm also very happy to hear that ghosts cannot hurt me. Here’s to hoping the news starts getting a little less depressing and lot happier, like this report. Thanks for that Jimmy!
The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Guardians Of The Galaxy have fought off a challenge from Sylvester Stallone and his all-star Expendables to stay atop an action-packed U.S. box office. The Expendables 3 underperformed in its opening weekend, picking up $10 million (GBP5.8 million) less than expected to debut behind the Turtles and Guardians at number four.
The new sequel opened with $16.2 million (GBP9.5 million) - less than half the figure the first movie debuted with in August, 2010 - and was beaten to a top three spot by comedy Let's Be Cops.
Meryl Streep and Jeff Bridges' new movie adaptation of Lois Lowry's beloved book The Giver opened at five.
"I did have a cameo in the new movie but it was cut at the last minute because I was too good." Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles co-creator Kevin Eastman jokes about almost appearing in the new Michael Bay movie.