Imprisoned Bollywood superstar Sanjay Dutt has been granted release from his cell on medical grounds. The actor returned to his home in Mumbai, India on Tuesday (01Oct13) after he was awarded a 14-day parole by Pune's Yerawada prison authorities to seek treatment for a leg ailment.
Before entering his house, the star told reporters, "I'm a law abiding citizen. I want to spend this time peacefully with my family."
Dutt was sentenced to six years in prison for purchasing weapons from bombers who were responsible for the 1993 terrorist blasts in Mumbai, India, and he was released on bail in 2007 after serving 18 months of his sentence.
He returned to jail earlier this year (13) to complete his five-year prison stint after an appeal for his freedom was rejected.
Bollywood star Sanjay Dutt surrendered to police on Thursday (16May13) to begin a prison term for illegal weapons possession. The 53-year-old actor was accompanied by his family and friends as he headed to a court in Mumbai, India to give himself up, but his arrival caused chaos among the waiting press photographers, who swarmed his car as he pulled up to the venue, prompting police to intervene to allow Dutt to climb out of the vehicle.
He was subsequently transferred to a local detention centre, where he will serve the remainder of a five-year sentence after a judge upheld his 2006 conviction in March (13) for purchasing guns from bombers responsible for the 1993 terrorist blasts in Mumbai. Dutt had previously spent 18 months behind bars before being released to appeal his case.
His filmmaker pal Mahesh Bhatt reveals the star had been "crumbling" on Wednesday night (15May13) as he prepared to face up to his punishment, but had regained his strength by Thursday as he turned himself in to authorities, reports AFP.
He says, "There was a new resolve in him to face with dignity the sentence and go through it smiling, and that was a relief to everybody around."
Bollywood superstar Sanjay Dutt will begin his prison sentence on Thursday (16May13) after a last-ditch bid to prolong his freedom failed. The actor was sentenced to six years in jail in 2007 for purchasing weapons from bombers responsible for the 1993 terrorist blasts in Mumbai, India, but he launched an appeal which was finally rejected in March (13).
Judges reduced the sentence to five years and allowed Dutt to remain free for a month so he could honour his pending movie commitments.
The actor's lawyers filed a further motion at India's Supreme Court earlier this month (May13) on behalf of two moviemakers, asking for even more time for Dutt to remain free to film - but on Tuesday (14May13) the bid was rejected and Dutt was ordered to surrender to authorities on Thursday to begin his sentence, as previously agreed.
Bollywood star Sanjay Dutt has lost an appeal calling for a review of his looming prison sentence for firearms offences. The actor was convicted in 2007 for purchasing weapons from bombers responsible for the 1993 terrorist blasts in Mumbai, India, and was ordered to serve six years behind bars.
He challenged the ruling, only for judges at India's Supreme Court to uphold the decision in March (13), although they reduced his term to five years.
Dutt has been rushing to complete his current movie projects before he has to report to prison, and his lawyers made one more attempt to appeal the case by asking for a complete review of the original 2007 punishment.
However, the same judges rejected the request and the 53 year old must now turn himself in to authorities on 16 May (13).
The prison deadline was previously set for April (13), but Dutt was granted a reprieve to allow him extra time to wrap up his films.
Bollywood star Sanjay Dutt has been granted four more weeks of freedom before he is due to start a prison term for firearms offences. The actor was granted a reprieve at India's Supreme Court on Wednesday (17Apr13) after he filed an appeal asking to postpone his sentence by a month in order to complete current film projects.
The 53 year old has at least four movies in the works, including Peekay, Policegiri, Unglee, and a reboot of the 1973 classic Zanjeer.
Dutt's lawyer, Harish Salve, tells Reuters, "(He has) four weeks... to surrender," while Policegiri producer Rahul Aggarwal adds, "He is thankful, but he is still under pressure as to how he can finish six months of work in a month."
Dutt had been due to begin a five-year prison stint on or before Thursday (18Apr13) following a conviction for buying weapons from bombers responsible for the 1993 terrorist blasts in Mumbai, India.
He previously spent 18 months behind bars before appealing against his six-year sentence. He was freed on bail while he fought the case and a judge recently cut the sentence to five years.
Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt has asked for his upcoming prison term to be pushed back by a month so he can complete his latest film projects before he checks in to jail. The star is due to begin a five-year prison stint on or before 18 April (13) following a conviction for buying weapons from bombers responsible for the 1993 terrorist blasts in Mumbai, India.
He has been racing to finish a number of movie projects as the deadline looms, and he has now asked India's Supreme Court to grant him a month's extension.
Dutt filed the appeal on Monday (15Apr13), citing work commitments, according to Hindustantimes.com.
The actor previously spent 18 months behind bars before appealing against his six-year sentence. He was freed on bail while he fought the case and a judge recently cut the sentence to five years.
Annes Bazmee will direct the film, which is expected to go before cameras early next year (10).
Abhishek Bachchan, Katrina Kaif and Sanjay Dutt will star in the remake, which will be set in India and feature Hindustani dialogue.