Hugh Jackman is probably best known for his role as Wolverine from the X-Men franchise. After all, he’s appeared in every X-Men film to date with the exception of Deadpool (though his face does make an appearance as a magazine cutout mask worn by Deadpool). You may have already known that Jackman will reprise his role as Wolverine in the 2017 film Logan but do you know how he first landed the role of the mutant berserker? Here are 12 things you never knew about Hugh Jackman.
1. Jackman was a last minute addition to the X-Men cast in 2000.
2. Jackman credits his good friend Russell Crowe with helping him achieve success.
After Crowe turned down the lead in X-Men, he personally recommended Jackman to director Bryan Singer for the part.
3. Jackman goes through intense physical training when he plays Wolverine and can bench press more than 300 pounds at peak condition.
4. Although Wolverine’s height is 5′ 3″ in the comics, Jackman is almost an entire foot taller at 6′ 2½”.
As a result, the filmmakers were frequently forced to shoot Jackman at unusual angles and his co-stars wore platform soles to make him appear shorter than he actually is.
8. Jackman accidentally broke an extra’s hand while filming Van Helsing in 2004.
9. Jackman met his wife, Deborra-Lee Furness, while co-starring in the Australian TV series Correlli.
Jackman’s wife is 13 years his senior.
10. Jackman and his wife, Deborra-Lee Furness, adopted their two kids, Ava Eliot Jackman and Oscar Maximillian Jackman.
11. He lost 20 pounds to play the role of Jean Valjean as Prisoner No. 24601 in Les Miserables.
12. The upcoming 2017 Logan will be the FINAL time he plays the role of Wolverine.