Actress Saoirse Ronan is eager to overcome her severe stagefright to make her theatre debut. The Oscar nominee admits she has long harboured dreams of treading the boards, like her actor father, The Devil's Own star Paul Ronan, but she will have to confront her fears of performing in front of a live audience first.
She tells The New York Times Style Magazine, "I think it (performing in a theatre) is in the blood. And even though I'm terrified about doing it, if something goes all right on stage, it must be the most amazing feeling."
However, Ralph Fiennes, the actress' co-star in upcoming film Grand Budapest Hotel, is convinced the 19 year old would be a "natural" and "fantastic" on stage.
He adds, "She just seems to have been gifted with something, where she seems to have none of the anxiety the rest of us have. She's very special."
Baywatch star Alexandra Paul's legal spat with an obsessed fan has taken a bizarre twist - the woman has been granted a restraining order against the actress. Paul was given an order of protection against German national Nicole Albrecht in August (13) after accusing her of waiting at her house, leaving gifts at the home, and following her at a local pool.
The star agreed to drop the order in September (13) after Albrecht promised to avoid any further contact and to stay at least 50 feet (15 metres) away from the star at a gym they both use in Pacific Palisades, California.
However, it has now emerged Albrecht has bizarrely gained a restraining order against the actress, prohibiting the star from threatening, intimidating or stalking her after they clashed at a swimming pool in California last month (Oct13).
According to editors at TMZ.com, the star reportedly ordered the Albrecht to leave the area, but when she refused, Paul broke the terms of their agreement by coming too close to her during a heated exchange of words.
The German woman has since taken legal steps and a restraining order has been issued against Paul, according to the website.
Scottish singer Annie Lennox was honoured with the Music Industry Trusts Award for her achievements and charity commitments in London on Monday (04Nov13), and Sir Elton John and Adele were among the celebrities who saluted her. Sir Elton, a previous recipient, could not attend the gala in the former Eurythmics star's honour so he sent in a video message, which was played at the event.
He said Lennox's latest accolade was "so well deserved and not only for your extraordinary contribution to music and songwriting but also for your outstanding and tireless work as an HIV and AIDS activist and supporter of woman's rights."
Archbishop Desmond Tutu was also among those who offered up a film tribute, while Adele offered a written tribute in the gala's programme, offering, "So many of her songs have been the soundtrack to my life. Annie Lennox has been a constant part of my life. An example of a brilliant talent that exudes excellence and influence on everyone."
Lennox, 58, performed at the Grosvenor House Hotel gala and admitted she was "very touched and honoured" to receive the award.
She told the audience, "Music has given me a lifetime of experiences and opportunities that I would never have dreamed possible, and I feel very privileged to have been able to become an artist and communicator, especially as a woman."
The event was hosted by BBC broadcaster Jo Whiley at short notice after colleague Paul Gambaccini withdrew from the gala following his arrest last week (ends01Nov13) as part of the Metropolitan Police's Operation Yewtree sex abuse investigation.
Sting and Paul Simon are set to embark on a North American tour together in 2014. The rockers will kick-off Paul Simon & Sting: On Stage Together in February.
Announcing the joint tour, Sting tells The New York Times, "Paul and I both share this abiding curiosity about music and where it's going.
"We don't really know where this (tour) is going. We don't really have a clue how this is going to pan out."
In June (13), Simon surprised fans at Sting's concert in Atlantic City, New Jersey, when he joined the former The Police frontman onstage for renditions of Fields of Gold and Simon & Garfunkel's The Boxer.
Pop star Nick Jonas has reached out to fans online to assure them he is safe after landing at the Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) terminal where a shooting broke out on Friday (01Nov13). A gunman opened fire on a Transport Security Administration (TSA) official at a Terminal 3 checkpoint at around 9.30am local time, prompting police to evacuate the building and its surrounding areas.
Authorities claim the suspect, who has since been identified as 23-year-old Paul Anthony Ciancia, used a rifle to kill one employee before engaging in a shoot out with airport cops, injuring at least seven others.
Earlier, unconfirmed reports suggested Ciancia had been killed, while sources now tell the Los Angeles Times that he is in custody and in critical condition.
All flights in and out of LAX were grounded as a result, and actor James Franco took to his Twitter.com page to reveal that his plane was among those affected.
Now Jonas has told fans of his experiences on Twitter after arriving at the LAX terminal which has been temporarily shut down.
He tweeted, "Landed at LAX... to the news that there was a shooting in the terminal my plane was supposed to deplane at... Currently waiting on the plane in a remote parking area. I am safe. Praying for the victims of this shooting."
Meanwhile, Glee star Mark Salling has been forced to scrap plans to spend the weekend (01-03Nov13) in Dallas, Texas after his flight out of Los Angeles was axed.
He writes on Twitter, "Otw (on the way) to lax and I hear there was a shooting at the terminal I'm going to. No Dallas for me this weekend, hope everyone is ok. I hate u (sic) LAX".
A host of celebrities, including Salling's Glee co-star Amber Riley, Alyssa Milano, Kelly Osbourne and Josh Groban, have expressed their shock and horror online, while Billy Ray Cyrus tweets, "Thoughts and prayers for all the victims and those affected by the shooting at LAX today."
Veteran BBC broadcaster Paul Gambaccini has been arrested and quizzed about historical sexual offences as part of a wide-ranging U.K. police investigation launched in the wake of the Jimmy Savile child abuse revelations. The 64-year-old DJ was held in custody at his home in South London on Tuesday (29Oct13) to answer questions regarding Scotland Yard's Operation Yewtree.
He was bailed until January (14) and has since denied any wrongdoing after the news emerged on Friday (01Nov13).
A statement released by his spokesman reads: "Mr Gambaccini was interviewed by Operation Yewtree officers about historic allegations. He answered their questions and was co-operative. He denied all allegations."
Gambaccini's arrest was not directly connected to the hundreds of child molestation claims brought against late TV host Savile following his death in 2011.
In light of the police investigation, Gambaccini has temporarily stepped down from presenting his Saturday show on BBC Radio 2.
A host of veteran celebrities, including publicist Max Clifford, comedian Jim Davidson and former BBC DJ Dave Lee Travis, have all been questioned over the past several months in connection with Operation Yewtree.
According to Variety, Owen Wilson will be coming to TV with a period drama titled Wonder World. The series will be set in the early 1980s, following a group of FBI agents who attempt a bust on the Mob-controlled pornography industry. Wonder World is just the latest of Starz's coming onslaught of original programming, along with a Michael Bay pirate series and a drama from 50 Cent. The project will be written and produced by former Law and Order writers Rene Balcer and Fred Lerner, along with Regina Lee and Wilson. The series will center on two of the agents as they go undercover to bust the waning Mob from the inside. Inspired by a real-life case, the show will dive into the seedier aspects of the era.
As we all know from the back half of Boogie Nights, the '80s is when the porn industry stopped being all fun and games, and really got dark. This is surprisingly heavy subject matter for Wilson, who usually tends towards quirky indies like those he writes and produces with Wes Anderson, or outright comedies. But Starz is known not only for taking on strong subject matter, but showing in uncompromising detail, be that lurid sex or graphic violence. And judging from the premise, this series is sure to have both.
Follow @Hollywood_com | Follow @kaylaahawkins
Sir Paul McCartney's cell phone was hacked into "for years" by a private detective working on behalf of disgraced British tabloid the News of the World, a court heard on Friday (01Nov13). The Beatles legend was first targeted in 2002, as his relationship with Heather Mills progressed towards marriage, and the surveillance continued until at least 2004, a jury at London's Old Bailey was told.
Prosecution lawyer Andrew Edis QC told the court, "Paul McCartney and Heather Mills were the subject of phone hacking for years. I refer you back to the wedding ring story in 2002. (The newspaper was) still hacking (in 2004)."
The sensational allegation has come in the first week of the high-profile 'phone hacking' trial arising out of the scandal that closed the Rupert Murdoch-owned tabloid in 2011.
It is alleged some senior staff at the newspaper commissioned a private investigator to access cell phones of the rich and famous to listen to their voicemail messages.
Former News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks, ex-News of the World editor Andy Coulson, and six other former Murdoch staff are on trial over the scandal.
They deny all charges. The trial continues.