Comedienne Rosie O'Donnell fears she would never have survived her 2012 heart attack had she gone ahead with plans to jet off on an African honeymoon. The A League of Their Own star and her partner Michelle Rounds had planned to marry in a lavish ceremony that August (12) and then enjoy the traditional post-wedding holiday on an African safari, but scrapped the idea two months earlier after Rounds was diagnosed with aggressive fibromatosis.
She required surgery, keeping the couple in New York, where the pair tied the knot on 9 June (14).
O'Donnell suffered her own health crisis weeks later, when she went into cardiac arrest in August, 2012, and she credits the unfortunate turn of events with inadvertently saving her life, because she doubts she would have had access to top medical professionals while on vacation.
She explains, "We were supposed to (have a big wedding), but Michelle was diagnosed with (cancer-like) desmoid tumours so we had the date planned, it was (in) August, and then in June they said she wouldn't be able to make it (the long journey) and then August 14th, I had a heart attack, so I would have been on our African safari honeymoon and then I would have (had) the heart attack there. Can you imagine? I probably wouldn't have made it."
O'Donnell went under the knife following her heart attack and had a stent inserted into a blocked artery.
Funnywoman Joan Rivers 'banned' U.S. First Lady Michelle Obama, pop star Adele, and U.S. talk show host Chelsea Handler from attending her funeral just weeks before her sudden death.
The veteran comedienne sent Hollywood into mourning when she passed away on Thursday (04Sept14), days after suffering a cardiac arrest during a routine throat procedure.
Her funeral was held in her native New York on Sunday (07Sep14) and attracted a galaxy of stars including Hugh Jackman, Whoopi Goldberg, Kelly Osbourne, and Sarah Jessica Parker, and it has now emerged Rivers had previously drawn up a wish-list of famous faces who should stay away.
In one of her final interviews, conducted just weeks before her death, she told The Sunday Times Magazine that those she wanted kept away from her funeral included Obama, who she branded "a tranny", Adele for being "fat", and Handler, who she dubbed "drunk" and a "w**re". She also discussed how she knew death would soon be "inevitable" because of her advancing years and revealed she had been trying to help her daughter Melissa to come to terms with her mother's mortality.
Rivers added, "Melissa says, 'I don't want to hear about it, I don't want to talk about it', but I say it's comi-i-i-ing! It's inevitable. It's no longer an abstract thing. It's like, God, I'm in my eighties. Nobody, when I die, is going to say, 'How young?' They're going to say, 'She had a great ride.'"
Rapper Iggy Azalea has landed a cameo in the upcoming Fast & Furious 7 film.
The Fancy hitmaker's role has yet to be announced, but the movie's star Vin Diesel has confirmed Azalea will be making an appearance in the new blockbuster.
In an interview with French radio station SkyRockFM on Monday (28Jul14), Diesel revealed, "Iggy Azalea, I just worked with her (two weeks ago) - I guess you're the first person to know this - we cast her in Fast & Furious 7. She has a cameo in the movie."
Earlier this month (Jul14), his co-star Michelle Rodriguez posted a photo of herself with Azalea on the set of the movie on Instagram, along with the caption "Was great working with you Iggy Azalea, love to see you in concert. You rock".
Fast & Furious 7 is slated to hit cinemas in April, 2015. Ironically, Azalea's new Black Widow collaborator Rita Ora appeared briefly in Fast & Furious 6.
Theatre mogul Andrew Lloyd Webber is set to sue the promoter behind the failed North American revival of Jesus Christ Superstar to recover his costs. Poor ticket sales prompted Michael Cohl to scrap the new production in May (14) as cast members John Lydon, Michelle Williams, Brandon Boyd and J.C. Chasez were in rehearsals for the 51-date tour.
Now Webber and his partners at the Really Useful Group have announced plans to launch a lawsuit against Cohl in a bid to recover the production costs for the project, which was due to hit the stage two weeks after the abrupt cancellation.
Lloyd Webber's spokesperson says, "(RUG) is taking legal action against Michael Cohl’s Options Clause Entertainment following his cancellation of the 2014 North American Tour of Jesus Christ Superstar.
"The Really Useful Group (RUG) has no option but to proceed with legal action to recover its costs associated with the project and, in turn, satisfy outstanding payments to suppliers and contractors."
Cohl has yet to respond to the lawsuit news.
The promoter behind John Lydon and Brandon Boyd's all-star Jesus Christ Superstar musical scrapped the tour two weeks before opening night due to "horrific" ticket sales. The spectacular, which was also set to feature former Destiny's Child star Michelle Williams and J.C. Chasez, was cancelled last month (May14) after tour producer Michael Cohl realised it would be a disaster.
Opening up about his decision for the first time, he tells Billboard.com, "We realised we had a problem the day we went on sale.
"We all worked very hard reinventing things, rethinking things, fighting the good fight, and it just got to the point... We had to make the right business decision... We've questioned a thousand things - if we had gone with one or two lead superstars, if we had gone with a cheaper ticket price. We knew that this was a very risky project... (but) we thought we had a shot."
Lydon and company were in rehearsals for the 54-city arena tour when they heard the news, and the former Sex Pistols star has since spoken of his disappointment.
Punk icon John Lydon is disappointed and shocked following the cancellation of his touring Jesus Christ Superstar musical. The former Sex Pistols star was in rehearsals as King Herod when he learned the show had been cancelled last week (ends30May14).
Reports suggest poor ticket sales were to blame, but a representative for Lydon admits he and castmates Michelle Williams, rocker Brandon Boyd and ex-'N SYNC star J.C. Chasez are still baffled by the news.
In a tweet on Lydon's official Twitter.com page, the rep writes, "Sorry for the delay updating people. We are in as much shock over the cancellation of Jesus Christ Superstar as everyone else.
"Rehearsals had been going extremely well. John was looking forward to being King Herod & working with such a great bunch of people.
"We are all bitterly disappointed. We hope people were not too inconvenienced. We know flights and hotels were booked... We feel for everyone from the fans to the cast and crew who were a joy to work with. If we knew more we would tell you."
The musical was just two weeks from opening night when producers cancelled the tour.
A Jesus Christ Superstar tour starring punk icon John Lydon has been cancelled less than two weeks before its first performance due to poor ticket sales. The former Sex Pistols star was set to hit the stage to play Biblical villain King Herod on the North American tour of the hit musical, which was due to kick off a 50-city trek in New Orleans, Louisiana on 9 June (14).
Also starring in the new production of Andrew Lloyd Webber's stage show was Incubus frontman Brandon Boyd, former Destiny's Child singer Michelle Williams, and ex-'NSYNC star JC Chasez. Newcomer Ben Forster was set to play the lead role after starring in the London revival.
The cancellation was announced on the show's official website on Friday (30May14), and promoter Michael Cohl reveals it didn't make "business sense" to go ahead with a tour that wasn't selling.
He tells the New York Times, "It became obvious the shows were in trouble but we tried until the last moment to give it every chance to turn around. In the end it just did not make business sense to continue and we didn't want the cast to endure playing to disappointing audiences."
After the news broke, Boyd expressed his sadness on Twitter.com, writing, "I got fired from #JesusChristSuperstar today... but so did the rest of the cast so we're all sad together. Yeah, it's true. Tour cancelled."
Forster poured his emotions into a message, writing, "My heart is broken. My beautiful talented cast and company I adore. This wonderful show & opportunity is over. I'm so sorry. I am devastated... I am in New Orleans. I was mid rehearsal with JC Chasez on the floor. Going they (through) the end of the show. U (sic) guys must know we were ready for this (show)... I am so devastated. I'm sorry to everyone who got tickets and flights. Whoever f**ked it up I hate u (sic). But I forgive you, I'm Jesus... well was."
Celebrities including Jada Pinkett Smith, Amy Poehler and Leona Lewis have got behind an online campaign demanding the release of the kidnapped Nigerian schoolgirls. More than 250 young females have been snatched from northern Nigeria in recent weeks by members of the Boko Haram extremist group, who want to deny them a Western education.
A campaign has been launched via Twitter.com, with the 'hashtag' #BringBackOurGirls, and now several stars are supporting the protest, which demands the girls' release and aims to put pressure on the Nigerian government to take action. Pinkett Smith urged fans to sign a petition calling for U.S. or global help with the situation.
Other stars to back the drive include actresses Alyssa Milano, Queen Latifah and Minnie Driver. Comedienne Poehler posted a picture of herself holding a piece of paper with the hashtag written on it, and told followers, "Shout! Participate! Show that you care!"
British singer Lewis posted a similar snap, while TV presenter/model Alexa Chung wrote her message in red lipstick on a mirror.
Singer Wyclef Jean wrote, "Children are the reward of life. Rescue our Nigerian sisters. The world is watching, Make your voice heard. Retweet! #BringBackOurGirls."
Public figures have also joined in the campaign, including U.S. First Lady Michelle Obama, Hillary Clinton, and teenager Malala Yousafzai, who was shot for campaigning for women's rights in Pakistan.
British pop star Michelle Heaton is adamant her maternal instincts help save her son after he contracted viral meningitis. The former Liberty X singer and her husband Hugh Hanley were caught up in a terrifying health scare in April (14) when their baby Aaron, born in February (14), fell ill.
Despite having none of the tell-tale signs, the tot was later diagnosed with viral meningitis, and Heaton has credited her own parental intuition with getting him seen by doctors.
Speaking on U.K. TV show Lorraine, she says, "He was about five, six weeks when we first went in (to hospital) and I took him in for something completely unrelated. Mother's instinct always knows best, always trust your mother's instinct. I knew something wasn't right, (but) I didn't know what. He didn't have a fever, he didn't have a rash, he didn't have any other telltale signs of meningitis, he was just bringing up his bottles and I thought maybe he had reflux disease and I wanted to get it checked.
"Within a matter of minutes (of arriving at hospital), he was rushed into a room where they administered a lumbar puncture on his spine and he was diagnosed with meningitis. At that point, they never show whether it's viral or bacterial...I didn't even know there were two types of meningitis until this happened to me."
Aaron was treated with antibiotics and was later allowed home, but he still faces further tests to ensure the virus caused no permanent damage: "He'll have a couple of exams in a couple of months time, hearing, sight and they'll look at his heart but the risks are minimal."
British pop star Michelle Heaton was thrown into a panic over the weekend (05-06Apr14) when her five-week-old son was admitted to hospital suffering from meningitis. The Liberty X star and her husband, Irish businessman Hugh Hanley, became parents for a second time in February (14) with the arrival of Aaron, a younger brother to the couple's two-year-old daughter Faith.
She took to her Twitter.com page to voice her concern after Aaron was hospitalised with viral meningitis on Saturday (05Apr14).
Heaton wrote in a series of posts on Sunday (06Apr14), "The last 24 hours has been the worst and scariest in my life... With everything I've been through mentally and physically nothing... I mean... nothing compares to that of when your baby is sick. Our beautiful baby boy has been very looked after in hospital after being diagnosed... with viral meningitis... And reflux disease just to top it off. He's fighting strong & taking the antibiotics well so far... But at only... 5 weeks old one can only imagine our... distress as parents. He's very sick and in pain with the reflux. The hospital are... amazing and he's well looked after... Hopefully we will be able to take our little man home soon... I'm sure we will."
She later thanked her fans, adding, "Thank you all for your messages of support. We have read them all, and it means allot (sic) .. So thank you."