This period piece takes place amidst the gossip of aristocrats in fascist Italy where the characters search for freedom passion love and self-identity. This is a straightforward tale and much like a good play it has plenty of witty dialogue and a well-paced story. The film opens with a bit of history but we soon enter a world of lust death blackmail and escape. It's an odd love story to be sure but it works. The chemistry between a beautiful English aristocrat (Kristin Scott Thomas) and an American playboy (Sean Penn) lights up the screen.
Scott Thomas and Penn are brilliant together utterly believable as romantic partners. Thomas' elegant demeanor combined with Penn's grittier charms will certainly keep audiences interested. Anne Bancroft's over-the-top princess is full of zest and wit much like her Miss Havisham was in the recent remake of "Great Expectations."
Philip Haas brings together a rich and sensuous blend of settings and characters. He skillfully combines the lushness of a Merchant-Ivory film with bristly more muscular storytelling.
Funnyman Mike Myers has been picked to play rock wild man Keith Moon in a new biopic charting the drummer's turbulent life.
The Austin Powers star was chosen by Moon's former The Who band mate Roger Daltrey, who is working on the film project with Nigel Sinclair.
Despite being 11 years older than Moon was when he died of a fatal overdose of Chlormethiazole in a London flat in 1978, 43-year-old Myers has been branded the perfect actor to portray the “Substitute” rocker's wild lifestyle on screen.
Sinclair says, "Mike looks very young and Keith, of course, looked much older than he was.
"Roger's dream was to have Mike as the creative force to pull the project together."
The film--See Me Feel Me (Keith Moon Naked for Your Pleasure)--is due for release in 2009.
COPYRIGHT 2007 WORLD ENTERTAINMENT NEWS NETWORK LTD. All Global Rights Reserved.
Mary-Kate's not dropping out of NYU, she says
Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen's freshman year at New York University is being so vigilantly dissected by the media that the diminutive millionaires can't buy a $2.50 cup of Tasty D-Lite soft-serve in the city without it making front page news. So it comes as no surprise that Mary-Kate's recent hiatus in Los Angeles is sparking rumors the brunette has not only dropped out of college, but also relapsed into an eating disorder. "She just got out of recovery when she came to New York," US Weekly editor-in-chief Janice Min said on NBC's Today show. "For anyone who has been to college, the freshman year is stressful, and when you are Mary-Kate Olsen and having the whole world watch your behavior and what you eat was too much." Mary-Kate's publicist, Michael Pagnotta, said in a statement Tuesday that Mary-Kate is in L.A. on personal business and is expected to return to New York and to school shortly, but denied reports the 18-year-old actress had suffered a setback. "Somehow there's a suggestion that she has relapsed into an eating disorder. That's just silly. She's in ongoing treatment for an eating disorder with an experienced team of professionals who are available to her on both coasts," he said. "She is working very hard at being well."
New charges filed against O'Reilly
A Fox News Channel producer filed new accusations Tuesday against O'Reilly Factor host Bill O'Reilly, claiming she has lost her job because she complained to the network about her alleged mistreatment, The Associated Press reports. According to court papers, Andrea Mackris, 33, told top executives about the alleged harassment by Sept. 29 and was told to call in sick while they investigated her complaint. But Mackris claims Fox officials have not discussed her job status since she met with Fox lawyers Oct. 5. A lawyer for O'Reilly and Fox denied Mackris has been fired or retaliated against in any way. Last week, O'Reilly filed a lawsuit in New York State Supreme Court against Mackris and her lawyer, alleging they threatened him with a high profile sexual harassment case unless he and the network shelled out $60 million in "hush money." But Benedict Morelli, the lawyer named as a defendant in O'Reilly's case, turned around and filed a sexual harassment lawsuit against Fox News and O'Reilly on behalf of Mackris.
Growing Pains star pleads not guilty to drunk driving charges
Former Growing Pains star Tracey Gold pleaded not guilty Tuesday to charges she was driving drunk when her sport utility vehicle overturned in Ventura, Calif., on September 3. Tracey Gold Marshall, 35, did not speak as her attorney entered the pleas on her behalf to three felony counts, the AP reports. She is charged with driving under the influence of alcohol causing bodily injury, driving with a blood-alcohol level above 0.08 causing injury and felony child endangerment. Although Marshall wasn't hurt when the SUV flipped on a highway in Moorpark just before midnight and rolled down an embankment, her 39-year-old husband, Roby Marshall, injured his neck and their 7-year-old son suffered a broken collarbone and a cut above his eye. The couple's two other sons, a 5-year-old and 4-month-old, who were also in the SUV but were not hurt. Her lawyer declined to discuss details of the incident.
Private service for Reeve to be held at Julliard
Christopher Reeve's family will hold a private memorial service for the actor Oct. 29 at the Juilliard School in New York, where the Superman star studied drama, according to a statement posted Tuesday on his paralysis foundation's Web site. About 900 guests are expected at the event. Reeve, who was left a quadriplegic after a May 1995 horse riding accident, died Oct. 10 after complications from an infection caused by a bed sore. He was 52. Reeve's wife, Dana, posted a letter on the Web site expressing gratitude for the support the family has received. "We are moved by and sincerely grateful for all these gestures--large and small--for they do make a difference," she said in the letter.
Trump's moving ahead with Apprentice 3
As the wannabe moguls continue to duke it out on season two of NBC's hit realty show The Apprentice, host Donald Trump has confirmed the third installment of his hit reality series has already starting filming. "It's going very well," Trump told the AP yesterday. "It's a great group."
Godzilla will get Walk of Fame star
And why shouldn't he? It's been 50 years since the genetically altered dinosaur rose out of the sea to wreak havoc on the hapless Japanese, and the fire-breathing movie monster has certainly put in his dues as part of Hollywood monster royalty. The ceremony to honor the giant lizard will be held Nov. 29 to coincide with the world premiere of Godzilla Final Wars, the 28th Godzilla movie at Hollywood Boulevard's famed Grauman's Chinese Theatre, the AP reports.
Broadcaster will air only part of anti-Kerry docu
The Sinclair Broadcast Group said Tuesday it will only air part of a documentary critical of John Kerry because of pressure from critics demanding the broadcast be canceled altogether--or face legal action, Reuters reports. Sinclair said last week it planned to show the entire 42-minute documentary Stolen Honor: Wounds That Never Heal, made by Vietnam veteran and former journalist Carlton Sherwood, which chronicles Kerry's 1971 testimony before Congress and accuses the senator of betraying fellow Vietnam vets. But the Democratic Party filed a complaint against Sinclair with the Federal Election Commission, claiming the broadcasting company was acting as a mouthpiece for the Republican Party rather than a legitimate news outlet. Sinclair operates in 39 markets that include Florida and Ohio.
Kit Bowen contributed to this report.
Brosnan turns in license to kill
Pierce Brosnan appears to giving up his 007 moniker, according to Entertainment Weekly. In an interview on the magazine's Web site posted Tuesday, the Irish-born actor said 2002's Die Another Day was his last mission for Her Majesty's Secret Service, he's turning in his license to kill. "That's it. I've said all I've got to say on the world of James Bond…another lifetime behind me," Brosnan said. Speculation on who will replace him include King Arthur co-stars Clive Owen and Ioan Gruffudd, as well as fellow Brits Colin Firth, Hugh Grant, Gerard Butler, Jude Law and Ewan McGregor and Aussies Hugh Jackman, Heath Ledger and Eric Bana.
Hoffman aids bee sting victim
Dustin Hoffman and his wife, Lisa, rushed to the aid of a woman who was stung by a bee near the couple's Malibu, Calif., home two weeks ago, The Associated Press reports. The woman, Lydia Graham, began having a severe allergic reaction after being stung while walking on the beach. As a friend rushed to get help from the beach patrol, the Hoffmans, who witnessed the action from their deck, hurried to Graham's aid. Lucky break for Graham--Lisa Hoffman is also allergic to bee stings, and used her own emergency injection kit to combat the reaction. Graham, 36, told CBS's The Early Show, that as her eyes and lips were swelling up and her throat was closing she recognized a familiar face was on the sand with her. "I did recognize that it was Dustin Hoffman but I was sure that…I could possibly die," Graham said.
On-Air? More like, "Off-Air"
American Idol host Ryan Seacrest's syndicated talk show was canceled Tuesday, a day after reports surfaced that the Sinclair Broadcast Group had yanked On-Air With Ryan Seacrest from more than 20 of its TV stations. Twentieth Television, the show's Fox-owned distributor, said in a statement: "It was our desire that the program would appeal to a wide array of viewers, but unfortunately, the marketplace's response was not as strong as we had hoped." On-Air ends production Thursday but will continue to air until Sept. 17, the AP reports. Seacrest, meanwhile, will continue in his host duties on Fox's American Idol, which heads into its fourth season in January, and as morning disc jockey on Los Angeles' KIIS-FM.
Timberlake gets restraining order against stalking photographer
A Santa Monica, Calif., judge Tuesday barred a photographer from coming within 50 yards of pop singer Justin Timberlake for the next three years, City News reports. Timberlake, 23, filed a civil harassment suit on July 9, asking for a restraining order against Artemus Earl Lister, alleging the photographer had "stalked and continually harassed '' Timberlake since mid May. On May 26, according to the suit, Lister almost struck Timberlake's trainer, Robert Bonner, in the face with a camera. "When I am driving on the street, (Lister) drives recklessly, erratically and aggressively, and endangers the safety of myself, my passengers and innocent drivers on the roadway,'' Timberlake stated. Meanwhile, in other Timberlake court news, the singer also filed suit in London against the British tabloid News of the World, for a story reporting he cheated on girlfriend Cameron Diaz with British model Lucy Clarkson, publicist Ken Sunshine told City News. "Justin never met the woman in question, and we are confident a lot of money will be won for a wonderful charity when we win this case,'' Sunshine said.
Sizemore back in court is Fleiss case
Speaking of endless court battles, Tom Sizemore was ordered yesterday to appear in court Aug. 5 to set another hearing over whether he violated probation after being convicted of abusing ex-girlfriend and former Hollywood madam Heidi Fleiss. Sizemore was sentenced in October to six months in jail on misdemeanor charges of harassing, annoying and physically abusing Fleiss during their two-year relationship. His probation terms called for him to stay away from Fleiss, undergo counseling for domestic violence and anger management and submit to regular drug testing. Prosecutors allege the actor violated his probation by contacting Fleiss and testing positive for drugs. Sizemore's lawyer, however, told the AP Sizemore is doing well and did not violate his probation.
Rocco DiSpirito not only loses restaurant, he's barred from it
Rocco DiSpirito, the TV chef of NBC's primetime reality series The Restaurant, lost a battle in New York civil court Tuesday against the eatery's co-owner. Variety reports Jeffrey Chodorow can now sell Rocco's restaurant, or renovate it under a different name, without any input from the chef. Acting Justice Ira Gammerman also issued a restraining order to keep DiSpirito from setting foot in the restaurant. Chodorow and his investment group, China Grill Management, had sued DiSpirito, claiming he mismanaged the restaurant, causing the group financial losses. DiSpirito claims Rocco's had begun to make money in the last few months and has a shot at becoming successful.
Paris and Nicole to host Teen Choice Awards
The Simple Life stars Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie will host the 2004 Teen Choice Awards, Fox announced Tuesday. The AP reports the awards are unveiling new categories this year, including "Choice Hissy Fit," "Choice Liplock" and "Choice Movie Your Parents Didn't Want You to See." Not such surprising categories, considering the awards are voted on by teens aged 13 through 19. The award show, taping Aug. 8 at the Universal Amphitheater in Los Angeles, will air Aug. 11 at 8 p.m. EST on Fox. Other appearances will include Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, Usher and Ashton Kutcher.
Guylaine Cadorette contributed to this report.