The crime film originally featured a shoot-out at a cinema, but when suspected gunman James Holmes opened fire on film fans at an Aurora, Colorado theatre in July (12), killing 12 people, director Ruben Fleischer immediately went back to the editing room to make adjustments out of respect to the victims.
As a result, the cast and crew had to return to the set to reshoot scenes, and now Gosling has commended Fleischer on his selfless decision.
During an appearance on U.S. breakfast show Good Morning America on Friday (11Jan13), he said, "I was really proud of him because it really was the best sequence in the movie, without question. The day it (the massacre) happened he wouldn't even dream of keeping it in."
Ironically, the trailer for Gangster Squad - featuring the cinema shoot-out - was scheduled to debut the weekend after the massacre as part of the pre-show for The Dark Knight Rises. Producers immediately pulled the clip.
Colorado cinema massacre suspect James Holmes will now wait until 12 March (13) for his arraignment so his lawyers can have more time to review evidence in the case.
After a week in court, Judge William Sylvester agreed on Friday (11Jan13) to postpone the hearing, meaning Holmes will not have to enter a plea until the spring.
The decision came one day after Judge Sylvester ruled the 25 year old will face trial for allegedly opening fire during a midnight screening of The Dark Knight Rises and killing 12 film fans in July (12).
According to The Hollywood Reporter, Steve Hernandez, father of victim Rebecca Wingo, shouted, "Rot in hell, Holmes!" in the courthouse during the proceedings.
He then promised the judge "no further outbursts", adding, "I meant no disrespect."
Arapahoe County District Judge William Sylvester has also ordered an arraignment hearing for Holmes, who faces more than 160 felony counts, including first-degree murder, after three days of testimony.
Judge Sylvester told a the court late on Thursday (10Jan13) that there was plenty of evidence for a case against the 25 year old, who remains in custody without bond.
During the hearing, prosecutors presented overwhelming evidence against Holmes while Aurora police officials recalled the scene inside the cinema following the shoot-out.
The families of the victims and survivors of the massacre crammed into the courthouse for the three-day hearing.
The actress was a surprise spectator at the Queens Supreme Court as opening statements began in the trial of a man accused of violently shaking his two-month-old baby girl, allegedly causing her death in 2007.
Holmes, who is mum to six-year-old daughter Suri, listened in as prosecutor Leigh Bishop made her argument against Hang Bin Li, 28, according to the New York Post's Page Six gossip column.
The former Dawson's Creek star reportedly visited the courthouse to support her friend Bishop, the prosecuting district attorney in the case, and left shortly after the opening arguments.
Hang Bin Li faces a possible life sentence if he is found guilty of murder and endangering the welfare of a child. He denies the charges.
The Milk star's new crime thriller Gangster Squad became a casualty of the Colorado tragedy as studio bosses at Warner Bros. yanked trailers for the film from cinemas - because footage included a shoot-out at a movie theatre.
Producers then opted to reshoot the scenes, which were filmed at Hollywood's famous Chinese Theatre - and Brolin and his castmates were called back to work.
But that wasn't on Brolin's mind when he first heard of the deaths of 12 movie fans.
He tells Men's Journal magazine, "I immediately started crying, and the stresses of my life immediately became irrelevant, meaningless confetti."
And speaking to the publication the day after the massacre for an interview that has appeared in the latest issue, he admits he felt "a modicum of pain for the perpetrator," James Holmes, adding, "What happened to the kid to put him in that position? Is he truly mentally deranged? Was he born that way?"
A hearing into Holmes' Aurora massacre began in Colorado on Monday (07Jan13) as families of the victims packed the Centennial courthouse to hear details of the case against the alleged gunman.
Police officials and witnesses described the scene in the cinema after the massacre and the "relaxed" nature of Holmes following his arrest.
Coincidentally, the Aurora cinema where the shoot-out took place is scheduled to re-open next week (17Jan13).
1. A slew of stars were given the honour of carrying the Olympic torch on its tour around the U.K. over the summer, but not everyone was granted the opportunity to run with the flame ahead of the London 2012 Games - who missed out on the occasion?
a. Daniel Radcliffe
b. Sir Patrick Stewart
c. James McAvoy
2. Which country was Tom Cruise filming in when Katie Holmes filed for divorce?
3. Which Baldwin brother took legal action against Kevin Costner amid allegations he was cheated out of profits after selling his shares in an oil filtering business?
4. In August, actress Jennifer Aniston got engaged to Justin Theroux, her co-star in which movie?
a. Horrible Bosses
c. He's Just Not That Into You
5. Saucy summer blockbuster Magic Mike was based on which actor's real-life experiences as a stripper?
a. Joe Manganiello
b. Matthew McConaughey
c. Channing Tatum
6. In July, actress Kristen Stewart confessed to an "indiscretion" with the director of which of her films?
a. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2
b: Snow White and the Huntsman
c. The Runaways
7. Which celebrity couple got married in 2012 without first getting engaged?
a. Anne Hathaway and Adam Shulman
b. Natalie Portman and Benjamin Millepied
c. Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds
8. Actress Kristin Chenoweth was critically injured on the set of which hit U.S. TV show last summer?
b. The Good Wife
c. Hot in Cleveland
9. What is the name of the actor Sienna Miller welcomed her first child with in 2012?
a) Jude Law
b) Tom Sturridge
c) Rhys Ifans
10. Sally Field had to beg Steven Spielberg for an audition to play Abraham Lincoln's wife Mary Todd in the critically acclaimed biopic Lincoln. Why?
a) She was too old
b) She was too fat
c) She was too famous
11. What was the name of Daniel Radcliffe's first feature film release of 2012 following the end of the Harry Potter franchise?
a. The Lady in Red
b. The Woman in Black
c. Lady Jane Grey
12. Which famous British actor took on a starring role in the London 2012 Olympic Games Opening Ceremony reciting verses from William's Shakespeare's The Tempest?
a. Hugh Grant
b. Rowan Atkinson
c. Kenneth Branagh
13. Which Hollywood star married actor Adam Shulman in California in September?
a. Natalie Portman
b. Miley Cyrus
c. Anne Hathaway
14. Halle Berry lost a bitter custody battle with her ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry over their daughter in November. What is their child's name?
15. This Hollywood hunk can normally be found fighting for a good cause but in 2012 he was chosen as the rather unusual frontman for Chanel's signature fragrance, Chanel No5. Who is he?
a. Brad Pitt
b. Colin Farrell
c. George Clooney
16. Which actress despaired that she 'looked like her gay brother' after an extreme transformation for a movie role?
a. Penelope Cruz
b. Anne Hathaway
c. Jennifer Lawrence
17. Which actress named her new baby daughter Rosalind Arusha Arkadina Altalune Florence?
a. Tina Fey
b. Uma Thurman
c. Jemima Kirke
18. Which British royal was hospitalised during the celebrations for Queen Elizabeth II's Diamond Jubilee?
a. Charles, Prince of Wales
b. Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
c. Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge
19. Which TV legend was laid to rest four months after losing his battle with cancer?
a. Sherman Hemsley
b. Dick Clark
c. Larry Hagman
20. What is the name of the 2012 Bond movie?
21. Jennifer Lawrence played the lead role in movie hit The Hunger Games. What was her character's name?
22. Which film won the Oscar for Best Picture?
b. The Artist
23. Which film star did NOT get married in 2012?
a. Matthew McConaughey
b. Daniel Craig
c. Anne Hathaway
24. British actress Carey Mulligan married which member of musical group Mumford and Sons in April?
a. Marcus Mumford
b. Ben Lovett
c. Ted Dwane
25. Name the only surviving member of the original cast of Dallas who was not part of the hit TV drama's 2012 reboot.
a. Charlene Tilton
b. Steve Kanaly
c. Victoria Principal
26. Which veteran porn star has been immortalised in two movie biopics due out this year?
a. Linda Lovelace
b. Ron Jeremy
c. Sasha Grey
27. Which moody movie star was dramatically rescued by coast guard workers after becoming stranded during a kayaking trip off the coast of New York in September?
a. Colin Farrell
b. Dustin Hoffman
c. Russell Crowe
28. Leonardo DiCaprio and Martin Scorsese joined forces again in 2012 to shoot their fifth movie project - but what is the name of the new film, due for release this year?
a. The Beast of Broadway
b. The Monster of Manhattan
c. The Wolf of Wall Street
29. Which movie won the coveted Palme d'Or prize at the 2012 Cannes Film Festival?
c. The Paperboy
30. In November, movie hardman Sylvester Stallone launched a stage musical version of which of his famous film franchises?
c. The Expendables
The Oscar winner is in talks to portray the super snoop's loyal employee Mrs. Hudson in a new show based on her journals, called A View From The Landing At 221B Baker Street.
The script has been penned by British comedy writer Barry Cryer and his son, Bob, and the pair is adamant the Bond actress is the perfect person for the job.
Cryer tells Britain's Daily Mail, "It's all at a very early stage but it would be brilliant if Dame Judi were to play Mrs. Hudson. She would be ideal."
The show is the latest update of the Sherlock Holmes tale - Robert Downey, Jr. played the private investigator in Guy Ritchie's two films, and Benedict Cumberbatch plays Holmes in hit BBC series Sherlock.
It has not been the best week for the genetic vessels whose union was fated to bring unto the Earth the goddess we know as Suri Cruise. First, Tom Cruise's action-thriller Jack Reacher failed to overpower its Middle-earthian opposition. And now, Suri's mother Katie Holmes is facing the news that her Broadway play, Dead Accounts, will be closing seven weeks ahead of schedule.
E! reports that the stage dramedy will be winding down production on Jan. 6 (previous plans were to run through Feb. 24), presumably in light of mixed reviews and unsubstantial ticket sales. With the casting of Hollywood A-listers in Broadway productions becoming more and more commonplace, a big name like Holmes' no longer guarantees the gargantuan spectatorship it might have in years past.
Dead Accounts comes from Smash creator Theresa Rebeck and is directed by established stage visionary Jack O'Brien. The story tells of a woman (Holmes) whose long-estranged brother (Norbert Leo Butz) returns to their Ohio home with a secret.
[Photo Credit: Bruce Glikas/FilmMagic]
Is Tom Cruise Still a Box Office Star?
The 11 Most Shocking Celebrity Splits of 2012
Kate Winslet Marries Ned Rocknroll: 14 Other Surprising Celeb Marriages! — GALLERY
You Might Also Like:
20 Hottest Bikini Bodies of 2012: Kim Kardashian and More!
Best Movie & TV Ugly Criers of 2012: PICS
The Sherlock Holmes adaptation topped a poll of critics and writers compiled by Radio Times magazine to find the best show on TV in Britain in 2012.
RadioTimes.com editor Tim Glanfield says, "Sherlock delivered the TV event of the year with three perfect episodes."
The detective drama saw off competition from Claire Danes' show Homeland, which placed second, and Olympics-themed 'mockumentary' Twenty Twelve at third.
Political satire The Thick of It came in fourth ahead of sitcom Fresh Meat at number five.
Last year's (11) top show, Danish thriller The Killing, dropped to number 38 on the 2012 list.
The show received mixed reviews when it premiered last month (Nov12) at the Music Box Theatre in New York and will now end on 6 January (13), seven weeks ahead of its scheduled 24 February (13) closure.
Jeffrey Finn, the show's producer, tells BroadwayWorld.com, "I am extremely proud of this production and the cast. (Writer) Theresa Rebeck and (director) Jack O'Brien have created an inspiring and hilarious new play and we are all sad to see Dead Accounts end on Broadway. I look forward to working with this remarkably talented cast and creative team again very soon."
The production will wrap after 27 previews and 44 regular performances. Last week (begs17Dec12), it had the lowest attendance of any show on Broadway with only 38 per cent of the seats filled.
Holmes isn't the only star to suffer from bad Broadway reviews - the curtain came down on Henry Winkler's play The Performers after just five days last month (Nov12) and The Anarchist, starring Broadway legend Patti LuPone, closed in December (12) after only 17 regular shows.