Olsen twin goes home
Teen actress Mary-Kate Olsen has been released from a health facility where she underwent six weeks of treatment for an eating disorder widely reported to be anorexia, her spokesman told Reuters on Monday. The 18-year-old icon is "feeling very well" and will continue treatment privately while preparing for college, her publicist Michael Pagnotta said. "The focus right now is on school," Pagnotta said in a statement. "She intends to live her day-to-day life normally. ... She won't be hiding. She'll be going out and doing a lot of the things that she's missed doing over the past few weeks." Olsen and her twin sister Ashley plan to enroll together at New York University in August.
Ja Rule faces assault charges
Ja Rule turned himself into Toronto police Monday and was charged with assault, following an incident at a downtown club last month, Reuters reports. Since a judge allowed a publication ban on the details of the case, authorities would say only that the charge stems from a June 5 incident at a Toronto nightclub. No more information was available. "There's no celebrity justice here," the rapper's lawyer said outside the courthouse. "You don't get treated differently in this country if your name is Martha, Michael or Ja Rule, everyone is treated the same and he'll be treated fairly." The 28-year-old rapper, whose real name is Jeffrey Atkins, made a brief court appearance and was released on $7,500 bail.
CSI actors rehired at original salary
CBS has rehired CSI: Crime Scene Investigation stars Jorja Fox and George Eads at their original salaries of $100,000 per episode, the AP reports. Fox was dismissed July 14 after failing to provide written assurance that she planned to show up for the start of production on the series' fifth season, while Eads was let go the next day when he didn't show up for work. At the time, both actors were in salary negotiations with the network. After they were canned, Fox and Eads released appeasing statements explaining their predicaments as the result of misunderstandings.
Soprano fans must wait until 2006
Cabler HBO announced Thursday that the sixth and final season of the hit mob drama The Sopranos won't premiere until sometime in 2006, The Associated Press reports. The show, which stars James Gandolfini in the lead role of Anthony Soprano, wrapped up its fifth season last month. "It's like the Harry Potter book," HBO chairman Chris Albrecht said. "You'll wait very long and be happy when you get it." Albrecht added Sopranos creator and executive producer David Chase could now take all the time he needs to write, suggesting the final season could become longer than the customary 10 episodes Chase committed to in January.
Seacrest's On Air off air in some markets
On Air With Ryan Seacrest will soon be off the air in some parts of the country due to low ratings. Sources told The Hollywood Reporter that the Sinclair Broadcast Group has pulled the syndicated talk show from more than 20 of its TV stations. Sinclair stations that carry the American Idol host's show include WCWB in Pittsburgh, WLFL in Raleigh-Durham, N.C., WZTV in Nashville, WTTEL in Columbus, Ohio, and KABB in San Antonio. The move could deal a major blow to On Air, which has been struggling with low ratings since its debuted in January. It's unclear, however, when the move will take effect.
Actor Sorrells arrested in shooting death
Veteran actor Robert Sorrells, who starred in numerous film and TV Westerns including the 1969 feature Death of a Gunfighter and the popular TV series Gunsmoke, was arrested Monday for investigation of murder after witnesses told police he walked into a Simi Valley, Calif., bar Saturday and shot two patrons, killing one, AP reports. A bartender told L.A.'s Daily News the 74-year-old actor had been at the bar until it closed Friday night, returned Saturday morning looking for his credit card, then returned again in the afternoon and opened fire. Police said he shot Arthur De Long, 45, in the back and Edward Sanchez, 40, in the face and back. De Long was killed. Sanchez, 40, was hospitalized in serious condition, AP reports.
Jackson's defense wants more time
In a motion requesting the trial be delayed four months, Michael Jackson's defense team called the singer's child molestation investigation a "breathtaking" effort to take down a major celebrity, the AP reports. "The scope of the prosecution's investigation is breathtaking," the document stated. "This is not a usual criminal investigation. It is an effort to take down a major celebrity. The expenditure of resources by the prosecution is unprecedented and extravagant." Prosecutors said in a reply that while they would not oppose a "reasonable" delay, four months was too long. Jackson, 45, is charged with committing a lewd act upon a child, administering an intoxicating agent and conspiring to commit child abduction, false imprisonment and extortion. He is free on $3 million bail and scheduled to stand trial Sept. 13.
Michael Moore getting Sicko
Director Michael Moore, whose $6 million pic Fahrenheit 9/11 become the first documentary to cross the $100 million mark at the domestic box office, won't have trouble financing his next film, Sicko, a critique of health-maintenance organizations. "Clearly, if you make a movie that has this ratio of how much it costs to its gross, you're going to find an easy time making your next film," Moore told reporters in a conference call over the weekend. Moore said the idea for Sicko grew from a segment he did on his The Awful Truth TV show, in which he staged a mock funeral at an HMO for a patient who was denied an organ transplant he needed to survive. The HMO relented and paid for the transplant.
Guylaine Cadorette contributed to this report.
Fired CSI actor wants back in
Actor George Eads, who, along with actress Jorja Fox, was fired from the hit CBS series CSI: Crime Scene Investigation last week for failing to show up to work, called the dismissal a "big misunderstanding," The Associated Press reports. At the Television Critics Association meeting Wednesday in Los Angeles, Eads, who was there to promote his upcoming TNT movie Evel Knievel, told the group he wasn't staging a salary holdout when he missed work, as CBS and its chief Leslie Moonves have claimed--Eads says he simply overslept. "They think it's about money and it's not," Eads said. "I overslept…I woke up white as a sheet 3-1/2 hours after I was supposed to be on the set." AP reports Eads said he wants to speak with Moonves to resolve the issue but had yet to reach him. "Let me tell you, I've apologized nine ways to Sunday. It's a big misunderstanding, straight up," the actor said. "I want all this to work out. CSI is a part of who I am."
Ronstadt gets asked back to casino
After being summarily booted from the Aladdin hotel-casino in Las Vegas over the weekend for her complimentary comments about Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11, singer Linda Ronstadt was welcomed back by one of the hotel's partners, AP reports. Planet Hollywood CEO Robert Earl, said he'd like to take Moore up on the filmmaker's offer to join Ronstadt on Aladdin's stage and sing "America the Beautiful" when Earl's management team takes control of the bankrupt casino, as early as September. "We respect artists' creativity and support their rights to express themselves…and we will continue with that policy once we take ownership," Earl said in a statement Wednesday. Current Aladdin president Bill Timmins, who is British, had Ronstadt escorted off the property after her concert because she called Moore a "great American patriot" during a prelude to her encore.
More on rockers who speak out…
Winding up her summer tour across Europe, singer Bonnie Raitt added her own two cents about President Bush, dedicating her song "Your Good Thing (Is About To End)," AP reports. At the Stockholm Jazz Festival Tuesday, Raitt declared, "We're gonna sing this for George Bush because he's out of here, people!" which drew thunderous applause.
It's the Tom and Jerry show
In an odd pairing, Tom Green and Jerry Springer are developing a "week in review"-style program tentatively dubbed Fairly Unbalanced for Lions Gate Television. According to the Hollywood Reporter, the show would feature the eccentric comedian-actor and raucous talk show host discussing headlines and newsmakers and generally offering their observations on political and pop culture-oriented topics. "We've conceived this as a weekly series that reviews current events and pop culture in a populist way from the off-center perspective of two larger-than-life, outrageous, irreverent and endearing personalities, who don't always agree," Lions Gate Television's president Kevin Beggs told the Reporter. "It will be informative yet entertaining. Just the thought of these two guys together makes you laugh."
Dick dating Assistant contestant
Comedian Andy Dick admits he was dating one of the female contestants from his hit MTV reality show The Assistant, AP reports. Dick let the cat out of the bag during a radio interview with Howard Stern Monday and was confirmed by Dick's publicist, Nicole Chabot, who told AP, "They've gone out on a couple of times post-show." According to Stern's official Web site, after The Assistant wrapped, Dick "gave everyone his cell phone number and some of the girls called him to hang out. Now he's seeing one of the girls from the show, but he's not ready to settle down with just one girl." The MTV show features an egocentric Dick bullying 12 young people hoping to make it in the entertainment industry. The winner receives a new wardrobe, car and an entry-level Hollywood gig.
SAG sells films in foreclosure
The Screen Actors Guild is selling the rights to seven small films in an effort to recover more than $400,000 in residuals owed to actors such as Kevin Bacon, Calista Flockhart and David Bowie, AP reports. Even though disputes are typically resolved using arbitration or other methods, SAG said these recent sales mark the first time the union has taken advantage of a clause in its contract with producers that allows SAG to foreclose on a film if royalties remain unpaid. Among the films are The Linguini Incident, a 1991 film featuring Rosanna Arquette and Bowie; Blood Money, a 1996 film with James Brolin; and Telling Lies in America, a 1997 film with Bacon and Flockhart.
DreamWorks Animation goes public
DreamWorks is moving forward with an initial public offering of its animation unit, which will offer fresh funds and a higher profile to the studio's most promising business, Variety reports. In a filing Wednesday with the Securities and Exchange Commission, DreamWorks--which was founded almost a decade ago by Jeffrey Katzenberg, David Geffen and Steven Spielberg--said it plans to sell up to $650 million worth of stock in DreamWorks Animation, which will become a publicly traded company seeking the exalted status and lofty trading multiples of rival Pixar. Katzenberg will be CEO of the new company, which he and Geffen will control though a special class of supervoting stock. Spielberg will not have an operating role in the new company but will concentrate instead on DreamWorks live-action division, which is remaining a private company.
Composer Jerry Goldsmith Dies
Academy-Award winning composer Jerry Goldsmith, best known for his scores for classic movies and television such as The Omen, Chinatown and the Star Trek series, died in Los Angeles after a long battle with cancer. He was 75.
Frampton sues over bikini shot
Rocker Peter Frampton is suing popular surfwear manufacturer Billabong for selling a bikini that features his face on the rear and the phrase "Baby, I love your waves," Reuters reports. The British-born singer, 54, is seeking unspecified damages and an injunction to stop sales of the "Frampton Bikini" saying the phrase is "an obvious reference" to his 1975 hit record "Baby, I Love Your Way."