As Robert Duvall once taught us, the role of godfather is "a very close, a very sacred religious relationship." This does not not only hold true for the Italian-American mafiosi to which Duvall was referring at the time, but for each and all who embrace the tradition. There is no greater honor — no Pulitzer Prize, med school diploma, or rare World's Greatest Mime accolade from Sheboygan, Wisc.'s impossibly selective street theater community (it's all politics now, anyway) — than being named godparent to the child of a close friend or relative. Adding to the list of things that make even their own reflections jealous, The Huffington Post reports that Beyoncé Knowles and Jay-Z have been handed the godparent titles for the unborn baby of friends Kanye West and Kim Kardashian. While the hearts of fans might be warmed by this news, those wary of what peril might unfurl when a dynasty becomes too powerful are probably reopening their unused apocalypse survival shelters right about now.
But we can worry about the human race's doom at the hands of this ever-growing nucleus of might later. Our main focus now is how cool it is that Beyoncé and Jay-Z are going to be kodparents (that's actually the legal term when it comes to a Kardashian baby) to this highly anticipated human. They'll have a lot to work with when it comes time to set their new titles into action: they've got creativity, entrepreneurial genius, the pipes for party-stopping birthday serenades, a steady supply of Nets tickets. But do the Carters top the list of the greatest godparents Hollywood has seen to date? They do have some formidable competition...
Godfather to: Billy-Ray Burton, son of Tim Burton and Helena Bonham Carter
How Does He Fare? Knowing that your godfather is the guy who married a zombie, tortured children in his chocolate factory, killed Anthony Michael Hall with his bladed phalanges, and destroyed a Lewis Carroll classic (all with the help of your father, no less) is sure to give a kid some nightmares.
Godmother to: Zachary Jackson Levon Furnish-John, son of Elton John and David Furnish
How Does She Fare? Homemade meat dresses and egg shelters are not necessarily the sort of birthday gifts a kid might want to receive year after year, but the whole "be yourself" attitude is a self-esteem bonus.
Godfather to: Knox and Vivienne Jolie-Pitt, twins of Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt
How Does He Fare? Hopefully, he's not the one teaching the kids math. Fourteen does not come right after three, in any language!
Godfather to: Chloe and Grace Helen Murdoch, daughters of Rupert and Wendi Deng Murdoch
How Does He Fare? Oh, you mean the guy who's handsome, charming, and perfect in every way? Yeah, he'll do.
Godmother to: Also Chloe and Grace Helen Murdoch (still daughters of Rupert and Wendi Deng Murdoch)
How Does She Fare? She's no Jackman, but then again, who is? Kidman's a winner nonetheless.
Godmother to: Coco Arquette, daughter of Courteney Cox and David Arquette
How Does She Fare? Who cares? We're all too happy that Monica and Rachel are still best friends to worry about Aniston's real-life abilities.
Godfather to: Drew Barrymore, self of Drew Barrymore
How Does He Fare? Spielberg's first interaction with his goddaughter launched her into a world of alien life forms, gun-wielding government agents, and near-death experiences... but the magic!
Godfather to: Soul
How Does He Fare? I think we can all give him due credit for this one.
[Photo Credit: Christopher Polk/Getty Images]
Yes, as the entire world has heard, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie are on the road to say "I do." (Despite how that might make some feel.) And, yes, the entire world is now wondering what the duo's dream wedding will look like. Unfortunately for us superfans, it's likely the press-shy couple will be hush-hush about the affair. That doesn't mean we can't create the dream Brangelina wedding of our dreams. What will their wedding look like? Here's how we'll picture it.
Angelina's Wedding Gown
This is an epic moment in Bridal Fashion — wedding dress designers likely haven't been this excited since Kate Middleton's Royal moment. But while most brides usually opt for the classic white or off-white gown with lace and silk, designers better be keeping Angie's fashion sense in mind. If you open any of of the actress' many, many, many closets, you'd be hard-pressed to find anything brighter than black. (Unless blood counts?) So, for her most special occasion, we imagine she'll opt for a simple black frock with a high leg slit (like the one she wore to the Oscars this year)... just in case she needs room to throw a kick if Jennifer Aniston decides to pull a Rachel in "The One With Ross' Wedding." (Just so long as Pitt doesn't pull a Ross in "The One With Ross' Wedding.") Christian Louboutin should throw in a pair of his infamous spike heels so that Angie's prepared with a semi-secret weapon. That's an accessory Mrs. Smith would be proud of.
Three Ring Bearers and Three Flower Girls
This is an easy one for Brangelina: Maddox, 10, Pax, 8, Zahara, 7, Shiloh, and 5 and 3-year-old twins Knox and Vivienne will no doubt appear in the wedding party. Maddox, Pax, and Knox could team up and walk the ring down the aisle. Zahara and Viv can throw the flowers — but little Shiloh may decide to wear a tux and join her brothers. Either way, at least Brangelina don't have to ask Tom Cruise if little Suri could be the flower girl. She would probably think the aisle was a runway set up just for her to show off her newest pair of red heels.
Billy Bob Thornton gives Angie away
Thornton may be Jolie's ex-husband, but the two have remained shockingly close. (Blood vials are the new friendship bracelets, guys.) And since the actor is 20 years her senior, Thornton's role would be age-appropriate. Heck, why don't we make this a tabloids' dream and invite Jonny Lee Miller — Angie's first ex-hubby — to walk her down the aisle with Thornton?
Brad's Best Man
Pitt's buddies Johnny Depp and George Clooney will have to fight for this title — and if it comes down to a battle, practical prankster Clooney is guaranteed to win. (Oh, please, let it come down to a prank battle!) Depp can always sing at the reception with his new duet partner Marilyn Manson.
A destination wedding
This detail won't be simple — the couple owns houses all around the world. Which to choose? But we'll picture Jolie selecting one of her favorite countries, Cambodia, as the destination. Maybe to celebrate the union, they could adopt baby No. 7?
Brad Pitt & Angelina's Milestones
Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Are Engaged
It looks like this Three Stooges pic is moving forward; it's just moving in a million different directions. The list of potentials is all over the place; and that's no exaggeration. Just in the category of leading men in line for the iconic role of Larry are Justin Timberlake, Woody Harrelson and Larry David. While they could both bring their own entertaining flair to the project, the styles are so disparate that I don't know how David and Timberlake could be considered for the same role. That is unless the men behind the flick, The Farelly Brothers aren't sure of their direction yet; and that seems to be the exact case here.
The film was originally set up at MGM with Jim Carrey, Benicio Del Toro and Sean Penn as the famous trio, but those actors have since left the project and the film is now under Fox's tent so naturally, they're looking for new faces to fill the roles. Del Toro is still a possibility, but he's by no means a lock (how great would he be though?). In addition to the David, Timberlake, Harelson trifecta, we've also got Johnny Knoxville and Hank Azaria on the short list for Moe and Will Sasso ($#*! My Dad Says) and a string of unknowns for Curly. The reason for all this directionless potential casting is that the Farellys plan to build the cast around a big name once they one tied down for the film. Now it all makes sense as to why their net would be cast so wide.
That being said, since the Stooges pic is a passion project for the brothers, you'd think they'd have a clearer idea of what they're looking for instead of waiting until the big name that will give them a real direction falls into place. For a film that's been such a labor of love to even get to this point, I had hoped they'd have more push behind it all. Thanks to all these changes, we can hope -- and I mean HOPE -- that the film hits the screen sometime in 2012.
Source: Indie Wire
We've pored over the headlines and highlights of the last 12 months and come up with a quiz that'll test the old grey matter.
So, put down the eggnog and turn down the TV...
1. She played a Salt-y spy, he voiced Metroman. Name the celebrity couple.
a. Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt
b. Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise
c. Jada Pinkett Smith and Will Smith
2. ... and can you name their three biological children?
a. Pax, Maddox and Shiloh
b. Shiloh, Vivienne and Knox
c. Isabella, Conner and Suri
3. Name Scarlett Johansson's super villainess character in Iron Man 2.
a. Black Widow
c. The Bride
4. Hollywood icon Tony Curtis died in September after suffering a cardiac arrest. Name his daughter.
a. Jennifer Jason Leigh
b. Jamie Lee Curtis
c. Carrie Fisher
5. Which fugitive actor spent the latter part of the year seeking asylum in Canada after confessing he feared for his life if he returned to the U.S.?
a. Dennis Quaid
b. Chevy Chase
c. Randy Quaid
6. Which Harry Potter star appeared in a Halloween episode of The Simpsons as a mysterious character called Edmund?
a. Daniel Radcliffe
b. Rupert Grint
c. Alan Rickman
7. Name Mel Gibson's Russian ex.
a. Anna Kournikova
b. Olga Chernikova
c. Oksana Grigorieva
8. This Hollywood actor returned to Wall Street and battled throat cancer. Name him.
a. Michael Douglas
b. Charlie Sheen
c. Josh Brolin
9. What do Toy Story 3, Clash of the Titans and The Last Airbender all have in common?
a. They were all remakes
b. They all starred Tom Hanks
c. They were all 3D films
10. Which Bond star landed himself a role in the Hollywood remake of smash-hit Swedish film The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo?
a. Sean Connery
b. Daniel Craig
c. Roger Moore
11. Which movie won the Oscar for Best Picture in 2010?
a. The Hurt Locker
c. Up in the Air
12. His 'Crazy Heart' won him gold at the Oscars in 2010 and his 'True Grit' looks put him in contention in 2011. Name the movie veteran.
a. Brad Pitt
b. Jeff Bridges
c. Robert Duvall
13. Which Walt Disney movie became the highest grossing animated film of all time in 2010?
a. Toy Story 3
14. Which actress was jailed in July after violating probation stemming from a 2007 DUI arrest?
a. Paris Hilton
b. Lindsay Lohan
c. Nicole Richie
15. Which Pirates of the Caribbean star married his model girlfriend Miranda Kerr in July?
a. Johnny Depp
b. Geoffrey Rush
c. Orlando Bloom
16. Which Oscar winning actress surprised the world by announcing she had adopted a baby boy, just weeks after winning her first Oscar - and then leaving her cheating husband?
a. Sandra Bullock
b. Halle Berry
c. Kate Winslet
17. Hollywood legend Dennis Hopper lost his battle with prostate cancer at age 74. Name his character in cult biker movie Easy Rider.
18. Who hosted the 2010 Oscars?
a. Billy Crystal and Steve Martin
b. Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin
c. Alec Baldwin and Billy Crystal
19. Which royal couple is Madonna currently making a movie about?
a. Prince Charles and Princess Diana
b. Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn
c. Edward VII and Wallis Simpson
20. Seth Rogen and Ryan Reynolds both became green superheroes in 2010. Name their characters in the upcoming movies.
a. The Green Goblin and Green Lantern
b. Green Hornet and Green Lantern
c. The Riddler and Green Hornet
21. And while we're going green, which actor was named the new Hulk?
a. Mark Ruffalo
b. Brad Pitt
c. George Clooney
22. Who co-starred with Bruce Willis in the film Red?
a. Kate Winslet and Morgan Freeman
b. Helen Mirren and George Clooney
c. Helen Mirren and Morgan Freeman
23. Liam Neeson portrayed John 'Hannibal' Smith in the film version of which 80's TV show?
a. The A-Team
b. Dukes of Hazzard
c. The Six Million Dollar Man
24. Which Twilight Saga star was crowned Homecoming Queen for the 2nd straight year at her school?
a. Kristen Stewart
b. Dakota Fanning
c. Ashley Green
25. Name Leonardo DiCaprio's mindbending 2010 film
a. The Last Airbender
26. Which movie star dumped a Canadian model for a French hunk?
a. Halle Berry
b. Sandra Bullock
c. Kate Winslet
27. He campaigned for Sudan, played 'The American' and fell for an Italian TV personality. Name the international movie star.
a. Matt Damon
b. Brad Pitt
c. George Clooney
28. Name John Travolta's baby son.
29. Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz teamed up for which 2010 summer blockbuster?
a. Knight and Day
b. Day and Knight
c. Mission: Impossible 4
30. She teamed up with Gerard Butler in The Bounty Hunter. Name the actress.
a. Drew Barrymore
b. Katherine Heigl
c. Jennifer Aniston