Jeff Neumann/CBS Broadcasting
Season 2 of Elementary has come to a close and we're faced with several things all at once: Sherlock Holmes throwing his lot in in with MI6, Joan Watson moving out on her own and Mycroft Holmes vanishing in order to escape the potential wrath of the French terrorist group Le Mileu. It's going to be quite interesting to see how this all shakes out.
The first character whose future we must consider is Sherlock, specifically in regards to his decision to consult for British Intelligence. That plainly means that the esteemed detective will be setting up shop in London. What this means for Captain Thomas Gregson and detective Marcus Bell is anybody's guess. Apart from an arc that featured Bell getting shot due to something Sherlock did and Gregson trying to save his marriage at one point, the two were largely reduced to having Gregson yell at Sherlock for breaking protocol and Bell to sitting and scowling next to Sherlock during police interrogations. The writers really need to do something with those two, since Aidan Quinn and Jon Michael Hill are both too talented to just be bit players again during Season 3. A good solution would be for Holmes to realize that New York is too much in his blood and have him return there after an episode or two so they can re-integrate Gregson and Bell as Sherlock realizes his mistake.
What to do about Mycroft? Although Elementary isn't in any way strictly adherent to the canon of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's material, Rhys Ifans didn't feel like the right fit as Sherlock's brother, especially compared to the Mycroft of the BBC's Sherlock. This isn't a knock against Ifans' acting ability, but the show might want to make him undergo plastic surgery and have him coming back looking like an entirely different person. There just didn't seem to be any genuine chemistry between Ifans and Lucy Liu either — the Mycroft/Watson plot just seemed cobbled together to make Sherlock act like an even bigger ass than he normally does.
Speaking of Watson, she is a bigger issue. There still doesn't seem to be an avenue for Sherlock to have any romantic feelings for her, since he is still far too vested in his work, since that is probably one of the only things keeping him from slipping back into an abyss of drug use (though the audience is still going to be very interested to find what he did with that baggie of heroin that he stashed in his jacket pocket towards the end of Season 2. There were some who speculated that he might have intended to slip back into drug use to force Watson's hand into becoming his "sober companion," the pairing that made them fall into each other's orbits in the first place. That scenario was seemingly dashed when he decided to accept the MI6 offer, but that baggie will keep lurking like Chekhov's Gun during the summer hiatus, leaving us wondering what place it had. Will it force a reconciliation of sorts between the two or will it be forgotten?
The show is on a good path, and this upcoming season is going to be an important one in terms of it staying on stable footing. Jonny Lee Miller is a fantastic actor, and he's made Sherlock a must-watch character full of nuance beyond being an arrogant socially inept buffoon, but it's going to be up to the writers to make it must-watch TV. They have ths summer to really hammer that down or they will have even more time the following season to spend on the beach.
Welsh actor Rhys Ifans is set to go solo in a one-man play about the 'Occupy' protests in London in 2011. The Notting Hill star will perform in Protest Song, a piece written by Tim Price which focuses on the anti-corporate greed campaigns which took over the area surrounding London's iconic St. Paul's Cathedral for several months.
Ifans will play a homeless man who awakes to find himself surrounded by demonstrators. The play will run from 16 December (13) to 11 January (14).
Radiohead's Thom Yorke, Massive Attack and Rage Against The Machine star Tom Morello were among the stars who were outspoken in their support for the rallies, which took place in major cities around the world.
Oscar winner Catherine Zeta-Jones has been honoured with a degree from a prestigious drama college in her native Wales. The Chicago star, who has had no formal acting training, was made an honorary fellow of The Royal College of Music and Drama in Cardiff on Friday (05Jul13) in recognition of her work on stage and screen.
Principal Hilary Boulding said, "We're delighted to honour this distinguished artist who has achieved international distinction in her field. She has made a significant contribution to the cultural life of Wales and raised Wales' profile within the arts industry worldwide."
Zeta-Jones was unable to attend the graduation ceremony, but fellow Welsh star Matthew Rhys was there to collect his special diploma.
Accepting his accolade, Rhys told the audience, "It's an honour. I always like coming back and to come for an occasion like this is a real honour."
Notting Hill actor Rhys Ifans was also awarded a fellowship by the institution, according to Wales Online.
Welsh actor Rhys Ifans is to reteam with his Love, Honour & Obey co-star Jonny Lee Miller in hit TV Sherlock Holmes drama Elementary. The Amazing Spider-Man villain will play Mycroft Holmes - Sherlock's brother - when the show returns to U.S. TV later this year (13).
Miller plays the modern version of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's fictional detective, opposite sidekick Lucy Liu, in the series, which debuted last year (12).
Ifans will appear as Mycroft in the season two opener, which will be set in London, and then return as a recurring character.
He's not the only actor currently portraying Mycroft Holmes - Stephen Fry played the sleuth's older brother in Guy Ritchie's 2011 Sherlock Holmes sequel, A Game of Shadows.
Welsh actor Rhys Ifans is among the latest wave of stars to launch legal action over allegations he was targeted in Britain's infamous phone hacking scandal. The Amazing Spider-Man star has filed a claim against Rupert Murdoch's News International group, the company behind now-defunct U.K. tabloid the News of the World, suggesting his voicemail messages were intercepted by a private investigator working for the company.
Ifans' complaint was revealed during a hearing at London's High Court on Thursday (20Jun13), where it also emerged that veteran singer-turned-TV star Cilla Black is among the list of latest claimants.
Stars including Jude Law and Hugh Grant have previously been awarded settlements over the headline-grabbing scandal, which erupted in 2011 and led to the closure of the News of the World.
British pop star Harry Styles appears to have moved on following his split from singer Taylor Swift by reportedly embarking on a new relationship with Rod Stewart's daughter. The 19-year-old One Direction heartthrob, who reportedly separated from Swift in January (13), is now believed to be dating Kimberly Stewart, who is 14 years his senior at 33.
"(They are) very happy," a source tells EOnline.com. "They were introduced by a mutual friend who set them up, Kim is very strong willed, she goes for what she wants and Harry appreciates that. It is a very new thing and we'll see where it goes. She is exactly his type." The blonde socialite has already introduced her latest beau to her family - the rumoured couple was photographed dining at Dan Tana's restaurant in LA on Thursday (25Apr13) with singer Rod and his wife Penny Lancaster, as well as Kimberly's brother Sean.
An onlooker says, "Kim and Harry sat next to one another. (He was) very cuddly with her... He had his arm around her." It is not Kimberly's first romance with an A-lister - she has a daughter, Delilah, with actor Benicio del Toro and is also said to have dated stars including Rhys Ifans, Jude Law, Tommy Lee, Caleb Followill, Scott Caan and Jack Osbourne.
Actress Anna Friel fears she will gain a reputation as a surgery-enhanced freak after confessing she has undergone a bizarre "vampire" facelift. The Pushing Daisies star revealed last year (12) she occasionally resorts to the grisly anti-ageing process, in which blood is removed from the patient's arm and injected into the face to help skin stay looking young.
She later told how she feels pressure to start a family with her actor boyfriend Rhys Ifans and had taken advice from female friends who were freezing their eggs, but now Friel fears her willingness to discuss medical matters could affect her public persona.
The British actress tells Style magazine, "I'm very wary of saying anything that can be extrapolated. I did an interview a few weeks ago and the next thing I knew it was, 'Anna Freezing Eggs Because Rhys Isn't Ready'. What sort of person would shout that from the rooftops? Before that I was asked, 'How do you stay looking so youthful?' And I said I'd done this thing they call the vampire facelift, which is a natural process. So what with that, and the freezing eggs, I'm going to come off like Frankenstein's sister."
The 127 Hours star, who portrayed Harry Osborn and his alter ego villain Green Goblin in Raimi's trilogy, admits he wasn't a fan of Andrew Garfield's turn as the web-slinging superhero in The Amazing Spider-Man because the the only difference in the plotline was the baddie.
He tells MTV.com, "Eh, I mean, they could have strayed a little bit more from the original. It's like, 'Why?' Well, I guess they made a lot of money. Congrats. But good for them..."
Rhys Ifans played the Lizard in The Amazing Spider-Man, which raked in a staggering $752 million (£470 million) worldwide.
Webb is planning a second and third installment in the new franchise, which will see actor Dane DeHaan take on the part of Osborn in its upcoming sequel.
Tobey Maguire was cast as the titular superhero in Raimi's series.
Franco and Raimi have since reteamed to work on another big screen project, Oz the Great and Powerful, which is set for release in March (13).
1. A slew of stars were given the honour of carrying the Olympic torch on its tour around the U.K. over the summer, but not everyone was granted the opportunity to run with the flame ahead of the London 2012 Games - who missed out on the occasion?
a. Daniel Radcliffe
b. Sir Patrick Stewart
c. James McAvoy
2. Which country was Tom Cruise filming in when Katie Holmes filed for divorce?
3. Which Baldwin brother took legal action against Kevin Costner amid allegations he was cheated out of profits after selling his shares in an oil filtering business?
4. In August, actress Jennifer Aniston got engaged to Justin Theroux, her co-star in which movie?
a. Horrible Bosses
c. He's Just Not That Into You
5. Saucy summer blockbuster Magic Mike was based on which actor's real-life experiences as a stripper?
a. Joe Manganiello
b. Matthew McConaughey
c. Channing Tatum
6. In July, actress Kristen Stewart confessed to an "indiscretion" with the director of which of her films?
a. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2
b: Snow White and the Huntsman
c. The Runaways
7. Which celebrity couple got married in 2012 without first getting engaged?
a. Anne Hathaway and Adam Shulman
b. Natalie Portman and Benjamin Millepied
c. Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds
8. Actress Kristin Chenoweth was critically injured on the set of which hit U.S. TV show last summer?
b. The Good Wife
c. Hot in Cleveland
9. What is the name of the actor Sienna Miller welcomed her first child with in 2012?
a) Jude Law
b) Tom Sturridge
c) Rhys Ifans
10. Sally Field had to beg Steven Spielberg for an audition to play Abraham Lincoln's wife Mary Todd in the critically acclaimed biopic Lincoln. Why?
a) She was too old
b) She was too fat
c) She was too famous
11. What was the name of Daniel Radcliffe's first feature film release of 2012 following the end of the Harry Potter franchise?
a. The Lady in Red
b. The Woman in Black
c. Lady Jane Grey
12. Which famous British actor took on a starring role in the London 2012 Olympic Games Opening Ceremony reciting verses from William's Shakespeare's The Tempest?
a. Hugh Grant
b. Rowan Atkinson
c. Kenneth Branagh
13. Which Hollywood star married actor Adam Shulman in California in September?
a. Natalie Portman
b. Miley Cyrus
c. Anne Hathaway
14. Halle Berry lost a bitter custody battle with her ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry over their daughter in November. What is their child's name?
15. This Hollywood hunk can normally be found fighting for a good cause but in 2012 he was chosen as the rather unusual frontman for Chanel's signature fragrance, Chanel No5. Who is he?
a. Brad Pitt
b. Colin Farrell
c. George Clooney
16. Which actress despaired that she 'looked like her gay brother' after an extreme transformation for a movie role?
a. Penelope Cruz
b. Anne Hathaway
c. Jennifer Lawrence
17. Which actress named her new baby daughter Rosalind Arusha Arkadina Altalune Florence?
a. Tina Fey
b. Uma Thurman
c. Jemima Kirke
18. Which British royal was hospitalised during the celebrations for Queen Elizabeth II's Diamond Jubilee?
a. Charles, Prince of Wales
b. Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
c. Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge
19. Which TV legend was laid to rest four months after losing his battle with cancer?
a. Sherman Hemsley
b. Dick Clark
c. Larry Hagman
20. What is the name of the 2012 Bond movie?
21. Jennifer Lawrence played the lead role in movie hit The Hunger Games. What was her character's name?
22. Which film won the Oscar for Best Picture?
b. The Artist
23. Which film star did NOT get married in 2012?
a. Matthew McConaughey
b. Daniel Craig
c. Anne Hathaway
24. British actress Carey Mulligan married which member of musical group Mumford and Sons in April?
a. Marcus Mumford
b. Ben Lovett
c. Ted Dwane
25. Name the only surviving member of the original cast of Dallas who was not part of the hit TV drama's 2012 reboot.
a. Charlene Tilton
b. Steve Kanaly
c. Victoria Principal
26. Which veteran porn star has been immortalised in two movie biopics due out this year?
a. Linda Lovelace
b. Ron Jeremy
c. Sasha Grey
27. Which moody movie star was dramatically rescued by coast guard workers after becoming stranded during a kayaking trip off the coast of New York in September?
a. Colin Farrell
b. Dustin Hoffman
c. Russell Crowe
28. Leonardo DiCaprio and Martin Scorsese joined forces again in 2012 to shoot their fifth movie project - but what is the name of the new film, due for release this year?
a. The Beast of Broadway
b. The Monster of Manhattan
c. The Wolf of Wall Street
29. Which movie won the coveted Palme d'Or prize at the 2012 Cannes Film Festival?
c. The Paperboy
30. In November, movie hardman Sylvester Stallone launched a stage musical version of which of his famous film franchises?
c. The Expendables
Violence ripped through the streets of capital Male over the summer (12) as activists demonstrated against new president Mohammed Waheed.
His appointment proved controversial in the Maldives as former leader Mohamed Nasheed claimed he was forced to resign at gunpoint earlier this year (12).
Bosses at Amnesty International have described the events as a "human rights crisis", and now stars from the stage and screen have called for political change.
Radiohead star Thom Yorke, acting couple Anna Friel and Rhys Ifans, and Edward Norton have also added their names to the open letter, which states, "A young and fragile democracy is under threat once more and we therefore call upon Mohammed Waheed to set a firm date for free and fair elections immediately, to end the culture of systematic police brutality and to release all political detainees including opposition leader Mohamed Nasheed.
"We also call upon the international community, including the British government and the rest of the Commonwealth, to condemn this latest campaign of harassment, to demand an end to all human rights abuses and to urge the current regime to hold democratic elections at the earliest opportunity."