Singer Jennifer Hudson is unable to watch footage of her poignant performance at the U.S. Super Bowl last year (13) as it revives too many raw emotions.
The Dreamgirls star took to the field at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans, Louisiana to perform America the Beautiful with a choir of pupils from Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut, who had been at the centre of a massacre just months earlier.
Hudson was still grieving for her mother Darnell Donnerson and brother Jason, who were shot dead at their home in Chicago, Illinois in 2008, and lining up with the Sandy Hook children to sing at the sporting spectacular was almost too much to bear.
She tells The Observer Magazine, "I was not very present at all any of that time. It felt like a dream. I haven't watched it back, because those moments send you back to a certain place and that's a place I don't want to go back to."
Gunman Adam Lanza killed 20 pupils and six adult members of staff in a rampage at Sandy Hook in December, 2012.
Actor David Arquette is reportedly engaged, just days after his ex-wife Courteney Cox confirmed she is set to marry again.
The Scream star proposed to his entertainment reporter girlfriend Christina McLarty during a family dinner at Mastro's Ocean Club in Malibu, California on Wednesday night (02Jul14), according to EOnline.com. The actor's 10-year-old daughter Coco and his two-month-old son Charlie were also reportedly present at the dinner.
The news comes just a week after Arquette's former partner Cox announced her engagement to Snow Patrol rocker Johnny McDaid. The former Friends star and Arquette split in 2010 after 11 years together.
Dirty Sanchez star Matthew Pritchard stripped down to a pair of bright blue swimming trunks as his Gumball 3000 rally team arrived in London on Sunday (08Jun14). The star of the MTV show and his onscreen colleague Lee Dainton, who are known for their outrageous pranks, rode in a Volkswagen van for the European leg of the supercar event, in which celebrities cross the globe in a huge rally.
As their customised vehicle arrived at the London checkpoint of the road race on Sunday, Welshman Pritchard stunned onlookers by disembarking and running ahead of the vehicle wearing only his trunks, a baseball cap, and shoes.
The prankster pulled a similar stunt at the race start point in Miami, Florida, where he suggestively stretching himself across the roof of his Mercedes-Benz as his car pulled up to the grid.
However, Pritchard reveals the raunchy act almost landed him in trouble with local police, saying, "I nearly got arrested in Miami, but luckily I got away with it."
Pop superstar Beyonce put on a show of unity with her sister Solange Knowles at a charity event in New York City on Tuesday night (03Jun14) just weeks after her headline-grabbing elevator fight with Jay Z. The Irreplaceable hitmaker appeared alongside her sister at the Chime for Change anniversary party in Manhattan.
The pair posed for pictures, hugging and smiling, in their first public appearance together since Solange's now notorious elevator bust-up with Beyonce's husband. Beyonce, who has been an advocate for the Gucci charity campaign since its inception last year (13), also made an impression at the event by announcing plans to donate $500,000 (£312,500) to the cause, according to WWD.com.
Chime for Change promotes education, health and justice for women worldwide.
Actor and activist Christopher Kennedy Lawford has married his yoga teacher fiance in Hawaii. The Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines star, son of Rat Pack member Peter Lawford and assassinated U.S. President John F. Kennedy's sister Patricia, wed Mercedes Miller, 34, during a ceremony in Maui on Sunday (25May14).
The union is Kennedy Lawford's second - he divorced first wife Jeannie Olsson, the mother of his three children, in 2000, after 16 years of marriage.
The 59 year old isn't the only member of the famous Kennedy clan getting married this year (14) - his cousin, Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. is engaged to wed actress Cheryl Hines. The couple is reportedly planning to exchange vows this summer (14) during the Kennedy family's annual reunion in Hyannis Port, Massachusetts.
United Artists via Everett Collection
It all starts with a mullet and an attitude. By the time that Patrick Swayze appeared as the legendary bouncer (or cooler) Dalton in 1989's Road House, he was two years removed from his star making turn in Dirty Dancing. Audiences already knew that he could dance, but nobody knew that he could rip a guy's throat out with his bare hands.
In the 25 years since its release, Road House has become a cult classic, both for its over-the-top fight scenes and Swayze's mock-philosophical dialogue and awesome hair. With its frequent appearances on cable television, it's never out of sight for very long, but we've compiled some fun facts to help you enjoy the greatest bad movie ever the next time you find yourself drawn in by the majesty of Swayze. Just remember the immortal words of Dalton: "I want you to be nice, until it's time not to be nice."
1. Although the film is set in the town of Jasper, Missouri, the exterior of the film's infamous bar The Double Deuce was built strictly for the filming on location in California and then was torn down. Some of the interiors were shot, however, in a real bar in Anaheim that has since closed.
2. Screenwriter David Lee Henry has said that Dalton was named after the town of Dalton, Georgia. He stopped at a bar there during a road trip and it ended up serving in part as the inspiration for his script.
3. Dalton is shown reading Jim Harrison's Legends of the Fall, which is the basis for the 1994 Brad Pitt-Anthony Hopkins movie of the same name.
4. Movie trailers frequently feature parts that are subsequently cut before a film is released, but Road House has the unofficial record for the most occurrences of deleted scenes. The original trailer had at least five different clips that don't appear in the finished version.
5. The Jeff Healey Band, which serves as the house band of The Double Deuce, had their biggest hit "Angel Eyes" on the charts while Road House was still in theaters, but the song isn't from the movie. Healey, the blind Canadian guitarist, and his group recorded their album See the Light concurrently with the movie soundtrack.
6. In a sad coincidence, both Swayze and Ben Gazzara, who played Dalton's nemesis Brad Wesley, both died of pancreatic cancer… Swayze in 2009 and Gazzara in 2012.
7. As awesome as Swayze's mullet was, the actor himself didn't like it. In the book One Last Dance, Swayze's biographer Wendy Leigh quoted the actor as calling the Road House hair style the "bane of my existence."
8. Red West, who played the owner of the auto parts store (also named Red), was a high school friend of Elvis Presley. West was a charter member of Presley's "Memphis Mafia" and functioned as one of the singer's bodyguards into the 1970s.
9. Even though Dalton famously says that "Pain don't hurt," the axiom didn't apply to Swayze. Among the various ways he was banged up during shooting was when Marshall Teague, who played Jimmy (the bad guy who gets his throat ripped out), hit Swayze with what he thought was a prop log... only to find out that it was actual hard wood.
10. One of the fired bartenders from The Double Deuce was played by John Doe, better known to music fans as the founder of the punk band X.
11. Kevin Tighe, who played Dalton's boss, bar owner Frank Tilghman, was better known for his work on television. He was one of the stars of the '70s hit Emergency! and later played Locke's father on Lost.
12. Even though Swayze is shown practicing t'ai chi, Dalton never actually uses that particular style of martial arts in the movie's fight scenes. Instead he uses moves from various sources, including the Korean discipline of hapkido.
13. Annette Bening was originally cast as "Doc," the ER doctor played by Kelly Lynch.
14. Lynch said in an interview with The AV Club that Bill Murray and his brothers like to call her husband, screenwriter Mitch Glazer (Scrooged), every time that they see Road House on TV to remind him about her steamy sex scenes with Swayze.
15. Lynch reportedly spent a month hanging around a real emergency room to prepare for her role. She learned the proper way to sew a medical stitch… but then the script was changed so that she never got to showcase her new skill.
16. Dalton had a thing for Buicks. Before he leaves for Missouri the "beater" car that he drives to protect his prized Mercedes is a 1964 Buick Riviera. Once he gets to Jasper, he buys the 1965 edition of the same car model.
17. Just as he had with Dirty Dancing, Swayze sings on the soundtrack and his song "Cliff's Edge" is heard on a radio in the film.
18. The Otis Redding song "These Arms of Mine" is used during one of the love scenes between Swayze and Lynch. In Dirty Dancing, the same song is used during the initial love scene between Swayze and Jennifer Grey.
19. Kitschy stage director Timothy Haskell did an off-Broadway retelling of Road House in 2003 titled Road House: The Stage Version of the Cinema Classic That Starred Patrick Swayze Except This One Stars Taimak from the '80s Cult Classic 'The Last Dragon' Wearing a Blonde Mullet Wig.Try saying that three times fast.
20. Road House has been a running gag on both Mystery Science Theater 3000, where it was Crow's favorite movie, and in Family Guy, where Peter punctuates every fight by name-checking the film. Not to be outdone, teammates of Cincinnati Bengals' quarterback Andy Dalton call him "Road House" thanks to his surname.
Beyonce has shown her support for sister Solange Knowles following her now notorious bust-up with Jay Z by posting pictures of the pair posing happily on her Instagram.com page.
The famous family hit headlines on Monday (12May14) when surveillance video from an elevator at the Standard Hotel in New York City appeared to show Solange hitting and kicking the 99 Problems hitmaker as they left an afterparty following the Met Gala on 5 May (14). The clip apparently shows Beyonce calmly watching the furore, before stepping between the pair.
Speculation has been rife about what prompted the outburst, with some reports suggesting there is now a rift between the sisters after Solange deleted all pictures of Beyonce from her Instagram page on Tuesday (13May14). However, the Crazy in Love hitmaker moved to end reports of a feud on Wednesday (14May14) by posting four candid snaps of the sisters having fun in the past.
One shot shows the pair sitting in the back of a vehicle, in another they are kicking their legs in the air in a field, and a third features them hugging onstage at the Coachella music festival in California last month (Apr14). Beyonce and Jay Z put on a united front on Monday night by sitting courtside at a basketball game between the Brooklyn Nets and Miami Heat in New York.
Solange has reportedly deleted photos of herself with sister Beyonce from her Instagram.com account a day after a video, in which the singer appeared to attack her brother-in-law Jay Z in an elevator, surfaced online.
The couple and the 27 year old hit the headlines on Monday (12May14) when surveillance video from an elevator at the Standard Hotel appeared to show Solange slapping and kicking the 99 Problems hitmaker, as Beyonce watched and then stepped between her sister and her husband. The Knowles sisters and Jay Z have yet to comment about the altercation, but on Tuesday (13May14), Solange removed all but one of her family snapshots with her big sister from Instagram.
In the remaining picture from over a year ago, the sisters are photographed with a friend, with the caption reading, "Girls moment." The reason for the removal of the pictures remains unclear, but reports indicate the sisters attended former Destiny's Child member Kelly Rowland's rumoured wedding in Costa Rica on Friday (09May14).
Meanwhile, Jay Z and Beyonce put on a united front on Monday at a basketball play-off game between the Miami Heat and the Brooklyn Nets, during which they were snapped laughing and embracing each other.
Rapper Lupe Fiasco is set to try his hand at modelling on Thursday (10Apr14) when he hits the catwalk in Australia. The Superstar hitmaker is friends with Australian design duo Melvin Tanaya and Lyna Ty and has now agreed to appear in a fashion show for their line Song for the Mute during Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Australia in Sydney.
The hip-hop star admits he is nervous about his runway debut, but hopes his experience as a fashion show spectator will stand him in good stead.
He tells Australian newspaper the Sydney Daily Telegraph, "This is the first time I've walked in a fashion show. I don't know what to do but I have been to enough fashion shows - I'm just going to emulate the people I have seen: you know, laser eyes. Hopefully I don't fall and break a heel!"
Taylor Swift has shattered ticket sales records in China after her upcoming show in Shanghai sold out in just one minute. Tickets for the Love Story's 30 May (14) show at the city's Mercedes-Benz Arena were in such demand, fans turned the concert into China's fastest sell-out in history, according to Country Weekly magazine.
The gig is one of seven Swift has lined up in Asia for the latest leg of her Red Tour.
The other shows in Tokyo, Japan; Jakarta, Indonesia; Manila, Phillipines; Bangkok, Thailand; Singapore, and Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia have also sold out.