Musical theatre composer Mary Rodgers has died, aged 83. The daughter of Broadway icon Richard Rodgers passed away on 26 June (14), according to Playbill.com.
Rodgers grew up with her father's enormous success in the theatre, and she wrote the music to Once Upon a Mattress, the musical adaptation of the Hans Christian Anderson tale The Princess and the Pea, in her 20s.
The production, which debuted in 1959, gave lead actress Carol Burnett her big break and her first Tony Award nomination.
Once Upon a Mattress closed less than a year after opening, but found success with a TV special in 1964 and 1972, both starring Burnett, as well as a Broadway revival in 1996 starring Sarah Jessica Parker.
Rodgers also composed the music to such shows as A to Z, Hot Spot, and Working.
She later became a children's book author, and wrote A Billion for Boris, Summer Switch, The Rotten Book and Freaky Friday, which was adapted for the big screen in 1976, featuring Barbara Harris and Jodie Foster, and again in 1995 and 2003, when it starred Jamie Lee Curtis and Lindsay Lohan.
Rodgers' son with her second husband Henry Guettel, Adam Guettel, is also a musical theatre composer. He earned two Tony Award wins for Best Score and Best Orchestrations for his 2003 musical The Light in the Piazza.
Rodgers is survived by her sister, Linda Rodgers Emory, five children, seven grandchildren and step-grandchildren.
Summer is the time to shape up and show more skin. If you're in need of a new routine to get you in top shape this season, give one of these star workouts try.
1. CrossFitA WOD (workout of the day) combines plyometrics, cardio and weight lifting to get you seriously ripped. Top trainer Bob Harper and Mrs. Timberlake, Jessica Biel, are CrossFit devotees.
2. TRXCreated by Navy seals, TRX utilizes straps hanging from the cieling or a wall, allowing you to train with your own bodyweight. The perfect Gisele Bundchen and Mary J. Blige love TRX.
3. SoulCycleSpinning is one of the most popular cardio workouts right now. Ashley Benson and Anderson Cooper have been known to hop on the bike to burn up to 700 calories per class.
4. Bikram YogaBikram yoga involves practicing your postures in a heated room for a greater burn. Lady Gaga and Christy Turlington are yogis.
5. The Tracy Anderson MethodTracy Anderson maintains a loyal following of slim celebrities including Gwyneth Paltrow and Shakira. This workout combines light weight training with high intensity dance cardio.
6. Burn 60Reese Witherspoon makes sure to take a Burn 60 class each week to work off major calories. This interval class alternates cardio and strength training segments.
7. AKTFormerly of the Tracy Anderson camp, Anna Kaiser developed a toning dance cardio workout of her own. Kelly Ripa is her biggest celebrity advocate.
8. Barre3For a lean dancer's body, ballet-inspired workouts using a barre, ball and hand weights are gaining steam. Based in Seattle, Barre3 has even attracted Madonna.
9. PilatesPilates is all about the core using your own body weight. Miley Cyrus attributed her amazing transformation to pilates legend Mari Winsor.
10. Barry's BootcampCombining high energy cardio and strength training intervals, this workout has sculpted the bodies of everyone from Kim Kardashian to Jake Gyllenhaal.
Eva Longoria received a humanitarian award at the Taormina Film Festival in Italy on Tuesday (17Jun14). The Desperate Housewives actress was honoured for her work with the Eva Longoria Foundation, a charity she set up to help female Latin Americans reach their potential through education and training.
During her acceptance speech, Longoria paid tribute to the TV series which launched her to stardom, saying, "If it wasn't for Desperate Housewives, I wouldn't be able to have the reach that I have to talk to people in the world."
On Tuesday evening, Longoria hosted a dinner for her foundation and was presented with an enormous celebration cake. Bo Derek and Pamela Anderson were among the guests.
British character actor Francis Matthews has died, aged 86. The TV regular provided the voice of Captain Scarlet in puppet-maker Gerry Anderson's 1960s TV show, and portrayed private detective Paul Temple in the BBC series of the same name from 1969.
Matthews also appeared in Hammer horror films including The Revenge of Frankenstein and Dracula: Prince of Darkness and the Morecambe and Wise movies The Intelligence Men and That Riviera Touch.
He was cast as puppet hero Captain Scarlet because he sounded like movie star Cary Grant, and ironically voiced Grant in the 2004 TV movie Cary Comes Home.
Matthews' final credit came in 2012's Run For Your Wife.
"We all love being together, the modern Brady Bunch. It's challenging, a juggle, but it works." Pamela Anderson on family life with her two sons, husband Rick Salomon and his daughters - all from previous relationships.
ABC Television Network
TV shows Modern Family, Top Of The Lake and Lilyhammer were among the winners at the 54th Golden Nymph Awards at the Monte-Carlo Television Festival on Wednesday (11Jun14). Detective series Top Of The Lake was the night's big winner, scooping the trophy for Best Miniseries while its stars Elisabeth Moss and Peter Mullan took home the gongs for Best Actress in a Miniseries and Best Actor in a Miniseries respectively.
Mockumentary comedy Modern Family scooped the International TV Audience Award for comedy, while the show's star Julie Bowen won the prize for Best Actress in a comedy series. The award for Best International Comedy Series went to Norway's Lilyhammer, and actor Steven Van Zandt received the Best Actor in a comedy series prize for his role in the show.
American show The Bold & The Beautiful won the International TV Audience Award for a telenovela/soap. Also honoured were British series Episodes, which took the Best European comedy prize, Hostages, which scooped the Best International Drama Trophy, and crime drama NCIS which won the International TV Audience Award for drama.
Rocker Doc Neeson was laid to rest in a private ceremony in Sydney, Australia on Wednesday (11Jun14). The Irish-born frontman of The Angels, who emigrated to Australia as a teenager, lost his battle with brain cancer earlier this month (Jun14) aged 67.
The intimate ceremony in Sydney's Lane Cove was attended by the singer's family and musical peers including Peter Garrett and Angry Anderson.
A public memorial for the much-loved musician is planned but a date is yet to be set.
A campaign by stars including Sir Paul McCartney, Pamela Anderson and Bollywood legend Amitabh Bachchan to save an abused elephant is finally over after the creature arrived at a welfare sanctuary on Friday (06Jun14). Officials at People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) launched a drive to save Sunder from seven years of misery at the Jyotiba Temple in Maharashtra, India in 2012.
They enlisted stars including The Beatles legend McCartney, Baywatch actress Anderson, and Indian screen favourite Bachchan to help publicise the campaign, and the celebrities finally had something to celebrate on Friday when the poorly pachyderm arrived at an animal sanctuary near Bangalore.
The transfer came after judges at the Supreme Court of India ordered the implementation of a Bombay High Court order to release Sunder to the elephant care centre by 15 June (14).