Breakup hard for Stamos and Romijn
Actor John Stamos, whose five-year marriage to actress Rebecca Romijn-Stamos ended in April, told the syndicated TV entertainment show Access Hollywood in excerpts released Monday the breakup has been difficult for the both of them. "It's been really hard for us," Stamos said in an interview. "We talked yesterday and we were both crying on the phone. The publicity is terrible, and it just undermines the importance of our 10-year relationship." The couple met in 1994 at a Victoria's Secret fashion show and married in September 1998. "We're really good friends, and I adore her and she adores me," the 41-year-old Full House star said. "It's so weird because ... you are so crazy in love and all of a sudden weird things happen."
Combs, Hilton and Jay-Z host July 4th events in Bridgehampton
Rap mogul Sean "P. Diddy" Combs, hotel heiress Paris Hilton and rapper Jay-Z will celebrate the Fourth of July holiday in Bridgehampton, NY, the AP reports. Sony PlayStation2 announced Monday each celebrity host an evening event at the PlayStation2 Estate on Long Island--a 12,500-square-foot mansion located on six acres in Bridgehampton. The weekend will begin with Hilton celebrating the launch of her new label, Heiress Records, Friday. Jay-Z, meanwhile, will debut the new S. Carter tennis shoe Saturday, followed on Sunday by Combs' annual White party, which will include a viewing of a copy of the Declaration of Independence.
Stalker writes letter of apology to Catherine Zeta-Jones
The woman arrested in Beverly Hills, Calif., last month and charged with stalking Catherine Zeta-Jones has sent the actress a letter of apology. The AP reports Dawnette Knight, who is in custody pending trial, describes herself in the letter as a confused young woman infatuated with the star's husband, actor Michael Douglas. Her lawyer, Richard Herman, told reporters Tuesday there was never any chance that Knight would harm Zeta-Jones, her two young children, or her husband. "The worst thing she has ever been accused of was killing her ex-boyfriend's goldfish and she says she's innocent of that," Herman said. Knight, who faces a preliminary hearing next month, could face anywhere from probation to 19 years jail if convicted.
Lohan new face of Dooney & Bourke
Lindsay Lohan's career is hot, hot, hot! After starring in a string of hit, including Freaky Friday, Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen and Mean Girls, the actress has handpicked her next gig: the face of handbag designer Dooney & Bourke. The AP reports Lohan, who turns 18 this Friday, will lead Dooney & Bourke's national ad campaign for their upcoming new collections. The heart and charm handbag collections, made of waterproof canvas and trimmed in leather, will be available in August.
Being Julia opens Toronto film fest
The period drama Being Julia starring Annette Bening and Jeremy Irons, will open the 29th Toronto International Film Festival on Sept. 9, The Associated Press reports. Directed by Istvan Szabo, the film is based on W. Somerset Maugham's novel Theatre, about a London stage star in the 1930s who grows bored with her success and stale marriage and finds new lust for life in a fling with a young American. The festival, which runs through Sept. 18, serves as a springboard for Hollywood's fall films and Academy Awards contenders.
Al Sharpton to host reality show I Hate My Job
Al Sharpton will host the new Spike TV reality show I Hate My Job, which guides people on career makeovers. On the show, Sharpton, an ordained Pentecostal minister, and California psychologist Stephanie Raye will give eight previously employed male contestants advice and weekly assignments. A panel will then decide which contestants advance to the next week. The move doesn't come as a surprise, considering Sharpton has been seeking out media jobs and has signed a deal with CNBC as a commentator his presidential campaign bid ended. I Hate My Job is set to premiere this fall.
Weekly prime-time TV ratings
Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie's The Simple Life 2, the high point of Fox's summer schedule, couldn't compete with reruns of old favorites and failed to make the Top 10. Here is a list of the week's ranking for the week of June 21-27, compiled by Nielsen Media Research: CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, CBS, 15.3 million viewers; Without a Trace, CBS, 12.6 million viewers; American Film Institute's 100 Years and 100 Songs, CBS, 12.3 million viewers; Law & Order, NBC, 11.9 million viewers; CSI: Miami, CBS, 11.8 million viewers; Two and a Half Men, CBS, 11.3 million viewers; Everybody Loves Raymond, CBS, 11.3 million viewers; 60 Minutes, CBS, 10.9 million viewers; Cold Case, CBS, 10.2 million viewers; and Law & Order, NBC, 10.1 million viewers.
Model Anna Nicole Smith has fought a long battle defending her right to her late husband's millions...and now she has won.
In a court decision Thursday, U.S. District Court Judge David O. Carter awarded Smith $44.3 million in punitive damages and the same amount in compensatory damages against E. Pierce Marshall, the son of her late husband--Howard Marshall II--who controls his late father's trust, the Associated Press reports.
The ruling came following E. Pierce Marshall's challenge of a federal bankruptcy court decision that awarded Smith $475 million of the oil tycoon's money.
In response to the court's decision, Smith's attorney, Philip Boesch, said, "This is a complete victory for my client, and I think it's a victory for a husband's love for his wife."
Neither Smith nor Marshall was present at the time of the ruling.
Smith, whose real name is Vickie Lynn Marshall, met Howard Marshall II in 1991 when she was working as a stripper. The two wed in 1994 when she was 26 and he was 89.
When Marshall died in 1995 at age 90, only 14 months after their marriage, he left a trust to be divided among various individuals, but Smith was not one of the original recipients.
After just breaking from their management company, the Firm, the Backstreet Boys--Nick Carter, Kevin Richardson, Brian Littrell, Howie Dorough and A.J. McLean--may now be facing another break, PageSix.com reports.
It seems "Boys" member Nick Carter has hired the Firm for his own purposes: a solo album to be released in August, coming just a month before the Backstreet Boys plan to release their next album, according to PageSix.com.
Carter told the London Sun, "I'm really psyched [for the solo project] and want to do something different by myself," PageSix.com reports.
When Hollywood.com contacted the Firm, it neither confirmed nor denied the Backstreet Boys are no longer with the company or that Nick Carter hired the company for a solo album.
Not new to controversy, the boy band's A.J. McLean's bout with depression and alcoholism caused the group to postpone their Black & Blue tour in 2001.
In 1998, the "Boys" fired and sued their original manager, Lou Pearlman, who conceptualized the band.
Shane West (A Walk to Remember) on his real name, to IMDB:
"My first name is really Shannon, so I know what going through life is like with a different name.
"I was born in Louisiana, so around the fifth grade moving to California, trying to fit in, having long hair, accent, name of Shannon, and everyone was going, 'Isn't that a girl's name?' and I was like [in a thick Louisiana accent], 'Yuk, I dunno.'"