Whether the Olympics or network television, it's a cutthroat world out there. This from ABC's "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" files: NBC and CBS are reportedly asking their network stars to not appear on special celebrity episodes of the Regis Philbin phenom, Daily Variety reports.
But viewers will be treated to 10 former U.S. Olympic athletes.
Last spring, funnyman Ray Romano from CBS' "Everybody Loves Raymond," "X-Files" G-man David Duchovny of Fox, and Vivica A. Fox from the CBS series "City of Angels" appeared on "Millionaire" alongside such notables as Lance Bass of 'N Sync and Queen Latifah to high ratings.
Variety reports that Martin Sheen of NBC's "The West Wing" and Conan O'Brien tentatively agreed to appear this time around but backed out after NBC officials suggested otherwise.
The scheduled TV celebrities so far are all from ABC, of course: "Spin City's" Charlie Sheen, "The Drew Carey Show's" Drew Carey and Joy Behar of the daytime talker "The View." They'll appear alongside Alec Baldwin and Sean "Puffy" Combs.
But if waiting around for the celebrity episodes proves too much, ABC has something else up its sleeves: See 10 former U.S. Olympians with Regis!
Each jock, some of whom will probably be seen by more viewers on the gameshow than during their Olympics events on NBC, will receive a guaranteed $16,000 for their appearances, ABC said.
The scheduled Olympians are: swimmers Lenny Krayzelburg, Jenny Thompson, Gary Hall Jr. and Dana Torres; runner Maurice Green; basketball player Lisa Leslie; soccer player Julie Foudy; pole vaulter Stacy Dragila; diver Laura Wilkinson; and wrestler Rulon Gardner.
The two special Olympic editions will air Oct. 22 and 24. Half of the winnings will go to charity, the other wherever the athletes desire.
And the Olympic spirit lives on.
Yup, he's the dad. Mick Jagger Wrinkled Rolling Stones singer Mick Jagger, 56, today confirmed in sworn testimony that a baby boy born to Brazilian model Luciana Morad is indeed the result of his, er, handiwork.
Speaking to New York court officials via the telephone from London, the rocker said he had no problem being listed as the father on the birth certificate of Lucas Maurice Morad Jagger, born May 18. No word if he had a problem with the whole "Maurice" thing.
The out-of-wedlock birth -- he is no longer linked with Morad -- is proving costly to the mega-millionaire. First, it drove the final nail into his relationship with model/actress Jerry Hall. (The two formally split in July, annulling what most people thought was a nine-year marriage, but what they agreed was a nine-year nonlegal cohabitation. In any case, Hall walked away with a reported $15 mil.)
And now the Morad affair has landed Jagger (in spirit anyway) in the Big Apple's Manhattan Family Court, where the maternal unit is demanding $35,000 a month in support from the paternal unit. (Said paternal unit is currently forking over a mere $5,500 a month.)
For those keeping score at home, Jagger has now squired seven kids -- two by ex-wife Bianca Jagger, four by Hall, one by Morad.
Well, that he knows of anyway.
COUPLEDOM: What's it like to be an ex-Beatle? You have to issue a press statement when you go out on a date. Widowed Paul McCartney, 57, today confirmed to the British press that he's "an item" with a 32-year-old, one-legged activist. "She's a very impressive woman," McCartney said of Heather Mills. The erstwhile Mop Top lost wife Linda to breast cancer in 1998.
COUPLEDOM II: Actress Angie Harmon, 27, ("Law & Order") and football star Jason Sehorn, 28, (New York Giants) are engaged after the groom-to-be proposed to the bride-to-be on the Monday edition of "The Tonight Show." It was a really happy occasion, and Jay Leno didn't call anybody names, neither.
HOW TO GET A HEAD: Tim Burton's "Sleepy Hollow" ran away with a field-best 11 nominations for the 26th Annual Saturn Awards, honoring TV and films of the sci-fi, fantasy and horror variety. Burton's Headless Horseman tale earned a nod for best horror flick as well as a best actor nomination for star Johnny Depp. Winners will be announced in June.
JURISPRUDENCE: In Los Angeles, a judge has dismissed a $150 million slander lawsuit brought against "Tonight Show" host Jay Leno. The complaint, filed by an auto designer, accused Leno of calling the man a "crook" and other not-so-nice things at a 1998 classic car show in L.A. The attorney for the auto designer vows the court battle is "far from over."
FABIO NEWS! Everyone's favorite artificial butter spokesman is 39 years young today. That's all.