Jonah Hill poked fun at an ex-girlfriend while picking up GQ magazine's International Man of the Year honour in London on Tuesday night (02Sep14).
The Wolf of Wall Street star took aim at his sixth grade love while accepting the style trophy from Bradley Cooper. Hill said, "Emily, my first girlfriend... You broke my heart and left it shattered. It was really sad. I know you were young and love is wild and you grow apart, but I'm GQ International Man of the f**king Year!"
The twice Oscar-nominated star joined Colin Firth, Liam Neeson, Pharrell Williams, Van Morrison, New Order, new Doctor Who Peter Capaldi, racing driver Lewis Hamilton and Paulo Nutini among the big style winners, while Johnny Depp presented punk veteran Iggy Pop with GQ's Icon Award at the Royal Opera House.
And the women weren't left out - Kim Kardashian West, who was joined on the red carpet by her husband Kanye West, picked up the Woman of the Year prize and stunned in a custom-designed haute couture Ralph & Russo gown. Reminding the world her full name is now Kim Kardashian West, the reality TV star said, "I want to thank GQ for making me Woman of the Year, and my husband for making me feel like woman of the year every day."
Among those handing over the top prizes at the ceremony Lindsay Lohan, Bradley Cooper, Gerard Butler, Rita Ora, Cara Delevingne, Daisy Lowe, Bob Geldof, Pippa Middleton and author E.L. James, who presented her Fifty Shades of Grey star Jamie Dornan with a Breakthrough Award.
The full list of GQ Men of the Year Award winners is:
Comedian of the Year: John Bishop
Editor’s Special Award: Liam Neeson
Chef of the Year: Tom Kerridge
Designer of the Year: Christopher Bailey
International Man of the Year: Jonah Hill
Writer of the Year: Michael Lewis
Philanthropist of the Year: Tony Blair
Breakthrough Fashion Designers of the Year: Agi and Sam
TV Personality of the Year: Peter Capaldi
Innovator Award: Ewan Venters
Inspiration Award: New Order Hugo Boss
Most Stylish Man: Douglas Booth
Sportsman: Lewis Hamilton
Actor of the Year: Benedict Cumberbatch
Entrepreneur of the Year: Andre Balazs
Special Achievement: Paolo Nutini
Vertu Breakthrough Award: Jamie Dornan
Legend Award: Van Morrison
Solo Artist of the Year: Pharrell Williams
Leading Man of the Year: Colin Firth
Humanitarian of the Year: Ringo Starr
Woman of the Year: Kim Kardashian West
Icon Award: Iggy Pop
Revered Spanish fashion designer Manuel Pertegaz has died at the age of 96. The couturier, who once turned down the chance to head up Christian Dior's House of Dior label, passed away early on Saturday (30Aug14) in Barcelona.
Pertegaz began honing his design skills as a teenager after working at a tailor's store, and rose to fame outfitting Hollywood actresses such as Ava Gardner, Audrey Hepburn and Paulette Goddard, and former U.S. First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy.
He also famously designed Queen Letizia of Spain's wedding dress for her 2004 marriage to Felipe VI, who was crowned king following his father Juan Carlos I's abdication in June (14).
Singer Jason Mraz surprised fans at his concert in Los Angeles on Friday (29Aug14) by inviting his friend Sara Bareilles on stage for a special duet. The pair teamed up to sing Carole King's Beautiful, the title song from the Tony Award-winning Beautiful: The Carole King Musical. Mraz told the audience at the historic Pantages Theatre that the duet was an homage to their stage training, and his three-night residency at the iconic musical theatre venue.
British actress Claire King was hospitalised with a mystery illness on Sunday (31Aug14) while competing on the U.K. version of hit reality show Celebrity Big Brother. The former Emmerdale soap star, 51, had to be taken out of the secluded property to seek medical attention, but further details about her condition have not been released.
It is not yet known if King will return to the Big Brother house or if the ailment will force her to bow out of the competition altogether.
Her remaining fellow housemates on season 14 of the U.K. TV series include actor Gary Busey, former B*Witched singer Edele Lynch and boxer Audley Harrison.
For all of my fellow witches and wizards, today is September 1st and you know what that means! For all you Muggles (non-magic folk) who don’t know what I’m talking about, September 1st marks the first day at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Unlike you Muggles, we love the first day of school, because Hogwarts is the greatest learning institution on the planet.
1. At Hogwarts, the school year always begins on September 1st.
2. Students can board the Hogwarts Express at King’s Cross Station, on Platform 9 ¾. The train to Hogwarts leaves promptly at 11 A.M. Don't be late!
3. After getting off at the Hogsemeade Station, first year students board boats on the Great Lake, while the older students ride in Thestral-drawn carriages to Hogwarts.
4. After all the older students have arrived, the first-years are brought into the Great Hall and the Sorting Ceremony is held. This is when the Sorting Hat decides which of the four houses the student belongs in.
5. Hogwarts was founded in 990 A.D by two witches and two wizards.
6. The four founders of Hogwarts were: Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw, and Salazar Slytherin.
7. It was decided that there would be four separate houses at the school to sort the students, based on the different personalities these founding members had.
8. After a dispute over who would be allowed into the school, Slytherin left because the others would not agree to only admit pure-blood students.
9. Before leaving, Slythin built the Chamber of Secrets, unbeknownst to the others, which was home to his murderous Basilisk until the year 1993!
10. 300 years after the school was founded, the first Triwizard Tournament was held. It is a competition between the three most prestigious schools in Europe: Hogwarts, Beauxbatons, and Durmstrang. It was meant to be a way for students of different nationalities to compete and socialize with one another.
11. In 1792, when a Cockatrice went loose during one of the Triwizard Tournament tasks, the heads of the three schools (Hogwarts included) were all injured by the deadly creature.
12. The ceiling in the Great Hall has been bewitched to reflect the sky outside it, which is why you can see the stars while inside the room.
13. It is not possible to apparate or disapparate into, or from within, Hogwarts. Unless you are Albus Dumbledore, that is.
14. Muggles cannot see Hogwarts (probably why you Muggles have never heard of it). If a Muggle were to stumble upon the area, they will see a ruin with a sign saying: “DANGER, DO NOT ENTER, UNSAFE.”
15. Muggle technologies, like cell phones and laptops, are rendered useless when on the grounds of Hogwarts. No cell phone reception for miles! And definitely no WiFi.
16. If a boy tries to enter the girls’ dormitories, the stairs will immediately turn into a slide. So, no sneaking around after hours!
17. During feasts, food appears by magic, but as we all know thanks to the Principal Exceptions to Gamp’s Law of Elemental Transfiguration, food cannot appear out of thin air. It is the work of the Hogwarts’ house elves. They work tirelessly in the kitchens to prepare meals for the entire school.
18. The house elves were first brought to Hogwarts by Helga Hufflepuff (true to her Hufflepuff nature), she wanted to offer them refuge and a place where they would not be abused.
19. Students need to be careful on the stairs, they’re always changing. By the Gryffindor Tower, there is a false step that Neville Longbottom has gotten stuck in a few times.
20. Hogwarts is home to the Room of Requirement, a secret room on the 7th floor that only appears when a person is in great need of it.
21. You can access the “Shrieking Shack” through a hidden entrance at the Whomping Willow, a tree on the Hogwarts grounds. But it's not an easy way to get inside.
22. The Whomping Willow has not always been on school grounds. It was put in when Remus Lupin started at Hogwarts, at the insistence of Albus Dumbledore, as a place for him to go during every full moon.
23. Hogwarts’ motto is: “Draco dormiens nunquam titllandu.” The translation is: “Never tickle a sleeping dragon.”
24. At Hogwarts, there is a Frog Choir that will perform at special occasions.
25. Peeves, a character you’ve never seen in the films, is a poltergeist that has lived in the castle since 993 A.D. He is in indestructible spirit of chaos.
26. The Battle of Hogwarts took place during the early hours of May 2nd, 1998, on the grounds of Hogwarts and inside the Great Hall. The end of the battle signified the defeat of Voldemort and the end to the Second Wizarding War, but also resulted in a great deal of destruction to Hogwarts. The building was restored afterwards and reopened for the following school year.
What is your favorite part about Hogwarts? Tweet us your thoughts with the hashtag #WelcomeBackToHogwarts!
Follow @hollywood_com | Follow @analuisasrz
Movie star Jeff Bridges dedicated his concert at the Paramount in Huntington, Long Island on Saturday (30Aug14) to late pal Robin Williams. The Big Lebowski star told fans he and the funnyman/actor filmed The Fisher King nearby and he had Williams on his mind as he took to the stage.
He said, "This is my first time here so be nice to me; I'm a virgin. This is a very special occasion. And speaking of occasions Robin Williams and I shot The Fisher King near here. I wrote something about Robin on my website. I'm going to dedicate this show to Robin Williams. This is for you Rob!"
Michael Jackson's kids jetted off to the King of Pop's native Indiana on Friday (29Aug14) to celebrate their late father's birthday with fans. Paris, Prince and Blanket were spotted at a friends and family celebration in Jackson's hometown of Gary.
The event marked the first sighting of the siblings together since Paris Jackson recently reconnected with her family after attempting to take her own life by cutting herself a year ago.
She has been receiving therapy at a boarding school in Utah.
Queen drummer Roger Taylor has spoken out about his dealings with the executors of Michael Jackson's estate over his plans to release a forgotten King of Pop/Freddie Mercury duet, revealing they have been "difficult" to deal with. Taylor and his bandmate Brian May were hoping to add the song the two late music icons recorded together on the upcoming album Queen Forever, but the estate bosses are refusing to grant permission.
The rocker tells the London Evening Standard, "William Orbit did a really nice mix of one of our tracks with Michael and I'm pretty certain that will be on Queen Forever. But it's been like wading through glue."
Taylor is still hopeful that he and May will be given the OK to include the track, admitting he's still not sure what will make the new album.
He adds, "We've got some great new tracks that haven't been heard and there's an interesting selection of older stuff."
May and Taylor are currently on tour with former American Idol star Adam Lambert.
Stars like Charlie Sheen and Jesse Tyler Ferguson have flooded Twitter.com with messages of support to Joan Rivers and her family. The 81-year-old comedienne was hospitalised in New York on Thursday (28Aug14) after suffering cardiac and respiratory arrest during routine throat surgery.
She was placed in a medically-induced coma but her condition has been described as "serious" but "stable" by the star's daughter Melissa and hospital staff at Mount Sinai.
And after Melissa Rivers confirmed the news about her mother's health crisis in a statement, the acid-tongued funnywoman and fashion critic's famous friends offered their well wishes.
Actor Sheen wrote, "Please come back to us young lady," while Modern Family star Ferguson offers, "Sending all my love and prayers to my friend @Joan_Rivers right now."
Other tweets poured in from Rosie O'Donnell, Larry King, Ellen DeGeneres, Zachary Quinto and Courtney Love, who wrote, "Hang in there @Joan_Rivers So many awful gowns are going to be worn this year as bait for you pull through. Love and prayers Court."
Meanwhile, comedian and TV roast master Jeff Ross made light of his friend's health crisis, joking, "Don't worry folks, @Joan_Rivers won't die because she refuses to follow Robin Williams. Get well mama. We need you."
Williams died earlier this month (Aug14).
Today, August 29th, 2014 marks the 21st birthday of Liam Payne. Daddy Direction can legally drink in America! An important thing for us grown-up Directioners. To celebrate the day, we’ve got 21 fun-facts about Liam. Not that boring stuff, like his zodiac sign (Virgo) or his middle name (James, just like his band-mate Niall Horan).
1. He is afraid of spoons. It’s not that weird, it’s kind of cute.
2. Of the band, he’s the only one who comes to work with his hair done. The other band members show up with their hair all over the place, but he won’t leave his house without doing his hair.
3. If he wasn’t a singer, he would make a fabulous journalist:
He might have been drunk, but he actually asked all the questions a fan wanted to know after watching the Brit Awards.
4. His favorite film is the Toy Story trilogy.
5. Liam once told TOTP that he had the best dance moves and he was, “The king of the dance floor!” With his signature 1-2-3 flick. Recognize those moves anywhere?
6. Liam’s dream job, aside from the one he is currently living as a pop-star, is a fire fighter.
7. He once had his underwear stolen (and then later worn) by a fan.
8. If Liam could invent an ice cream flavor, it would be “Krispy Kreme Donut.”
9. He once confessed to owning a pair of pink hair straighteners. We can see the evidence of that here.
10. He has said that Justin Timberlake is one of his biggest inspirations. He also sang “Cry Me A River,” at his 2010 X Factor audition. Good thing too, since look where that got him!
11. Once, he was asked what food he would be, he responded: “I’d be 7 bananas because it’s too much potassium and that’s dangerous.” Gotta love a bad boy.
12. His favorite color is still purple (had to include this because it’s adorable).
13. Liam once had no idea what YOLO and DTF stood for, so he guessed “Yummy Oreos Love Origami” and “Dedicated To Fans.” Better abbreviations, in my honest opinion.
14. Liam wishes he’d written the song “99 Problems,” by Jay Z. We wonder why?
15. All of his band-mates have said he’s got the best abs in the group. We cannot deny this.
16. Liam has a man-crush on Twilight star Taylor Lautner.
17. He has two pet turtles named Boris and Archimedes. He also has an adorable little husky named Loki (with his ex-girlfriend Danielle Peazer).
liam w/ loki is the cutest thing ever #liampayne pic.twitter.com/QM04PgaUru
— Hana (@hana1999hana) August 26, 2014
18. One time Liam was left behind and when the tour bus took off, he started running after it while waving his arms. The rest of the band mistook him for a fan at first.
19. Until he was 19-years-old, Liam suffered from kidney problems (1 scarred and dysfunctional kidney) that kept him from drinking and he had to lead a very careful life. Luckily, he’s all healthy now and can legally drink with his American fans!
20. The one person guaranteed to make him laugh is band-made, Louis Tomlinson! “Even if I’m in a situation where I’m mad at him, the person that can make me smile is Louis. Whatever happens he’ll make me laugh about something.”
21. One of Liam’s tattoos (the feather and lyrics) is dedicated to his Nan.
Happy Birthday Liam! We hope you have an awesome day and get to relax a little, if that's possible to do in the middle of a world tour.
Which is your favorite Liam fact? Tweet us yours along with the hashtag #Happy21stBirthdayLiam!
Follow @hollywood_com | Follow @analuisasrz