For concert films of the past 25 years, Michael Jackson’s This is It is tops with $261M in global box office. One Direction’s This Is Us will stand out for the group’s popularity- and its director, Morgan Spurlock - while it looks to beat Justin Bieber’s Never Say Never concert doc, in second place with $99M globally. Check out more on the story, One Direction's sales numbers, and the top grossing concert films at Studio System News.
Sony Pictures/Everett Collection
In today's economy, there aren't a good many industries on which you can rely. Yes, some things will always be fail-safe investments: apple sauce, bolo ties, cavern tours. But ranking above them all is the ageless phenomenon of the boy band. When the entity first hit American culture, we were skeptical. A handful of dudes? No instruments? Cacophonous flailing? But it caught on. And many long menudos later, we are still smack dab in the heat of boy band fever. As such, any frugal frontiersman of the American capital knows what what to do: get in on the action. Start your own boy band. And since we here at Hollywood.com are foremost a catalyst for the fiscal upswing of the common man, we're here to tell you just how to do it.
Part I: Get Some MembersKnow a bunch of legitimately talented musicians with a passion for the craft and a vast appreciation for everything from Beethoven to Neil Young? Lose 'em! What you need is...A dreamboat: The soft-eyed, half-smiling Aryan type who looks like he learned how to smile from watching the opening credits of Beverly Hills 90210.A "dark side"-type: The brooding brunette, sensitive and in touch with his cerebral pangs. Someone you just want to hug to let him know that it's all going to be okay.Maybe a thuggy one? From the streets... or, you know, that one kind of shady cul-de-sac across the street from the garden center.Two other guys: Know any unemployed dudes who have nothing going on? (Does one of them have wacky hair?) They're in.
Part II: Style!Think being yourself and devoting to your natural image is the way to go? Be a teacher. You're in a boy band now, take notes:Hair: Frosted tips are always in season.Clothes: Either too much or too little — something flashy, loud, and seemingly displaced in time. Or just go shirtless, shirtless works.Accessories: No more than one member may bear each of the following: tinted sunglasses, tattoo, eyebrow ring, ankle bracelet, pet snake.
Part III: RelationshipsHere's one of the most important components of boy bandistry: your romantic relationships. You and your fellow members must abide by the following rules of the industry:Date another pop icon: A fellow musician, preferably, although a budding movie star could also work.Reunite with your high school sweetheart: Odds are, you're not presently dating the same person you were back in high school. If you are, good for you! If not, call the old flame up and organize a "just for the fans" romance. People really eat up the hometown love shtick.Get a stalker: For the member of your band who is not presently ready to settle down, a stalker will do the trick. Since you're not famous enough to warrant one yet, maybe see if your best pal's creepy little sibling who had a crush on you back in elementary school is available. Send some tantilizing notes, just to fan the flames.Way-too-early engagement: And for the member of your band who is far too ready to settle down, a fiancée! Doesn't matter who it is, the "But he's so young!" or "But they just met!" conceit will overshadow the actual human beings in question.
Part IV: The MusicImmaterial.
Part V: The BreakupHowever much you grow to love the gig or your fellow band members, you must terminate things while they're still hot. You want people begging for a reunion, not groaning over the group that just doesn't know when to quit. Here are a few acceptable reasons to offer:Solo careers: All of your members (or at least the two most important ones) decide to pursue careers of their own, be it in music, acting, production, or something weird like writing. Creative differences: Spats like these happen all the time. Maybe one member gets too controlling. Maybe another is concerned about selling out, wants to get back "to the art" of it all. Have fun with this one!Love triangles: The most volatile choice of them all — could it be that a mutually beloved third party got between two members? Egad, the drama! The headline-worthy drama! It's a risky course of action, but when it pays off, it really pays off.
So there you have it. Your own five-part, fail-safe guide to starting your own boy band. We wish you the best of luck — you're fighting the good fight.
More:Justin Timberlake Is Producing 'The Idolmaker'The *NSYNC Reunion Was Kinda WeirdJustin Timberlake Recorded '20/20' Part II in 20 Days
Follow @Michael Arbeiter
| Follow @Hollywood_com
From Our Partners:40 Most Revealing See-Through Red Carpet Looks (Vh1)15 Stars Share Secrets of their Sex Lives (Celebuzz)
One Direction doesn't seem to be likely to fall from grace anytime soon. The band drew record-breaking ratings for The Today Show with their Rockefeller Plaza performance on Tuesday morning, has just released its second album Take Me Home, and has even earned a vigilant enough fanbase to receive live animals as gifts. The next step: movies! Sony Pictures has announced that One Direction will be the focus of a 3D film, directed by accomplished documentarian Morgan Spurlock.
You might know the filmmaker's name from one of the many big- and small-screen projects he has churned out over the past decade. Spurlock is most famous for his 2004 fast food takedown Super Size Me, and has since directed and produced films like Where in the World Is Osama bin Laden?, Freakonomics, and The Greatest Movie Ever Sold, which is his own personal statement on Hollywood's habitual product placement. He also created the Hulu series A Day In the Life.
The new One Direction movie, which is being produced by Simon Cowell (who discovered the band on the United Kingdom's The X Factor), will focus on band members Niall Horan, Zayn Malik, Liam Payne, Harry Styles, and Louis Tomlinson, and their achievements and personal journeys into the spotlight. Spurlock, a highly stimulating filmmaker, will likely provide an interesting take on the band's experiences with new fame and success, and perhaps on the industry itself.
The Hollywood Reporter's Borys Kytt reports that the film is set for release on Aug. 30, 2013.
[Photo Credit: Patrik Österberg/Wenn]
One Direction to Love You Even Though You'll Never Love Yourself — VIDEO
Britney Spears, Demi Lovato, Simon Cowell, and One Direction on the 'X Factor' Twist!
One Direction Fans Attack Married Woman Over Harry Styles Affair Rumors
From Our Partners:
’Twilight’ Red Carpet: Rob and Kristen’s Awkward New Pics (Moviefone)
Ryan Gosling Birthday; 32 Reasons Why ‘The Notebook’ Kiss Is Greatest
Sure, Bar Refaeli is good at topping Maxim magazine's 2012 Hot 100 list and attractively rolling around in sheets, but, for us, it's not always about the the looks. (Okay, so, most of the time it is. But we dare you to tell us if there's another reason you've already decided to buy pre-sale tickets for Magic Mike.) Or about the ladies — what about the hottest, most talented men in the world? Between a Baldwin revealing a secret musical talent and a handsome actor upstaging co-stars in a stripping contest, these are the gifted men who have us totally buggin'. (Remember the '90s, guys?!) Our ranking standards? We judge based on which man puts the biggest smile on our faces. From top to bottom, here we go:
1. Joe Manganiello: Yes, the handsome True Blood star may make us growl as shirtless werewolf hunk Alcide, but we're downright panting imagining his strapping stripper role in Magic Mike. Oh, wait, we said we'd judge based on talent? Let me rephrase: We're downright panting imagining the Scream Award-winning actor's strapping stripper role in Magic Mike.
2. Henry Cavill: It's a bird, it's a plane... wait, no, it's Henry Cavill, reviving Superman's place on the big screen! Being able to graduate from sucking up to King Henry VIII to big-budget film — Cavill is a promising rising star, he is, he is.
3. Mark Zuckerberg: The newly wed billionaire may have lost a few friends after Facebook's stock plummeted yesterday, but we'd still respond to his pokes.
4. Prince Harry: Our sincere apologies to Wate. Or Killiam? Or why am I trying to make a nickname for the couple? But after seeing prince debut his music talents playing the tambourine in a music video, we'd certainly bow to this royal rock star.
5. The Boys of One Direction (Niall Horan, Zayn Malik, Liam Payne, Harry Styles and Louis Tomlinson): They may have placed third on the seventh season of The X Factor UK, but now they are tearing up the radio... and making us wonder if we should report ourselves to our neighbors.
6. Phillip Phillips: A name so nice, we have to say it twice! The American Idol Top 2 finisher makes us wish "We've Got Tonight"... and many, many more nights.
7. Ben Feldman: We all love Jon Hamm, but Mad Men has a new Don Draper. But, unlike the series' serious, dour leading man, Feldman spirited Michael Ginsberg is as faithful as he is creative. We'd like him to hit us in the face with a Sno Ball. Euphemisms!
8. Adam Scott: The ideal candidate for romance is the kind of guy who "super-did" Model UN in high school, makes a mean calzone (when he's not working on his claymaysh), and has his very own Bat-suit. Adam Scott's Parks and Rec character Ben Wyatt meets all these requirements. Plus, he's handsome and friends with Jon Hamm. We have an in!
9. Michael Phelps: This year is a big one for Phelps: He confirmed to Anderson Cooper on 60 Minutes that he will be retiring after the London Olympics are done. And we'd be there to share many a five-dollar foot-longs with the athlete. C'mon, minds out of the gutter, people.
10. Kanye West: Imma let you finish, but the musician would no doubt interrupt us if he didn't score a place on a best list. So, for that reason, we'll happily admit to wanting to play third wheel with him and Kim Kardashian, even though we all know he just wants fish sticks.
Channing Tatum: Joe Manganiello is a Specimen
Joe Manganiello Has Model's Legs Wrapped Around His Neck, Naturally
Joe Manganiell: Wearing a Thong Felt Like a Wedgie