The members of Stone Temple Pilots are suing former frontman Scott Weiland, insisting his tardiness cost them millions. The group claims he sabotaged a 20th anniversary tour by turning up late for performances and missing promotional gigs.
In the lawsuit, obtained by TMZ.com, Stone Temple Pilots allege Weiland wouldn't even communicate with his bandmates by the end of his tenure in the group and set out to "hijack" the tour.
The group is asking for unspecified damages.
Stone Temple Pilots parted ways with the singer in February (13) and have since appeared onstage with Linkin Park star Chester Bennington.
The Stone Temple Pilots made a surprise appearance at the KROQ Weenie Roast concert in Los Angeles on Saturday (18May13) with Linkin Park's Chester Bennington acting as temporary frontman. Bandmembers Dean and Rob DeLeo axed the Pilots' original lead singer Scott Weiland back in February (13) and have yet to find a permanent replacement - so they opted for Bennington for the night after recently working with him on a new track, Out of Time.
The rocker performed a series of the band's classics, including Vasoline, Sex Type Thang and Wicked Garden during the unannounced set, which came between Vampire Weekend and Thirty Seconds to Mars' sets.
Bennington recently revealed he reached out to work with the Pilots after growing up a fan of their music, saying, "I've loved STP since I was 13 years old and they've had a huge influence on me. When the opportunity came up to do something creative with them, I jumped at the chance. The guys in Linkin Park have been incredibly supportive of me undertaking this project."
The Weenie Roast festival regularly features surprise sets - Soundgarden appeared unannounced last year (12), while the Foo Fighters secretly hit the stage in 2011.
In the horrific aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, several telethons have been organized to help raise money.
Those celebrities lending a hand include Wynton Marsalis, Leonardo DiCaprio, Robert De Niro, Matt Damon, Angelina Jolie and band Green Day. Jerry Lewis’ annual Muscular Dystrophy Association will donate $1 million to help victims in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama.
"I need the American people to know I don't want you to forget my [MDA] kids because that suffering is ongoing," Lewis said at a Beverly Hills news conference on Wednesday. But he called on donors to divide their compassion in half. "If you want to send me 20 bucks for my kids, send 10. Send the other 10 to these people in this trouble," the actor-comedian told The Associated Press.
Lewis' annual broadcast begins at 9 p.m. EDT Sunday and ends at 5:30 p.m. EDT Monday (check local listings for station). A special 800 phone number will be used for the Katrina donations, with proceeds going to the Salvation Army in the hard-hit states, AP reports.
Additionally, "A Concert for Hurricane Relief" will air on NBC, MSNBC and CNBC at 8 p.m. EDT Friday, NBC Universal Television Group announced Wednesday. The hourlong special, to be hosted by Matt Lauer, will feature performances by those with ties to the hard-hit areas, such as Marsalis, Harry Connick Jr. and Tim McGraw, with expected appearances by DiCaprio and other A-listers.
MTV, meanwhile, will start with a Saturday, Sept. 10 music special on MTV, VH1 and CMT. Besides Green Day, scheduled performers include Ludacris, Gretchen Wilson, Usher, Alicia Keys, John Mellencamp, Dave Matthews Band, Rob Thomas, David Banner and Linkin Park's Chester Bennington. The special can also be seen on MTV2, mtvU and VH1 Classic, in addition to broadband networks MTV Overdrive and VSpot.
Also announced Wednesday: Viacom, MTV’s parent company, will donate $1 million to the American Red Cross and will match employee donations worldwide.
Earlier this year, NBC aired a benefit that raised nearly $20 million for victims of last December’s earthquake-triggered tsunami that struck parts of Asia and Africa.
Top Story: Gandolfini Spreading Sopranos Wealth
Even though The Sopranos star James Gandolfini raked HBO over the coals earlier this year in a salary renegotiation, he is apparently a generous guy to his colleagues. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Gandolfini handed over much of his first advance from his share of Sopranos profits to his fellow castmates, including Edie Falco, Lorraine Bracco and Michael Imperioli, who are all now in production for The Sopranos' fifth season. Sources told The Reporter Gandolfini divvied up about $500,000 of his own cash as a way of recognizing that the show's success is due to the strength of its ensemble cast. "It was always part of his plan [during the renegotiations] to share some of the wealth with the other actors," a source close to Gandolfini said. "He has always called this show an ensemble, from Day 1." Meanwhile, Sopranos creator/executive producer David Chase is currently in negotiations with HBO for a possible sixth season.
Newscaster David Brinkley Dies
David Brinkley, one of news journalism's enduring legends, died Wednesday from unspecified complications after an earlier fall, Reuters reports. He was 82. Brinkley was co-anchor of NBC television's evening news program and later hosted of the Sunday current affairs program on ABC, This Week With David Brinkley,
Chicago Gets More Screen Time
Miramax Films is planning to re-release their Oscar-winning Chicago in theaters to help boost sales for the home video release. Variety reports the Chicago run, slated to start July 18, will feature a new version of the movie that includes an additional song-and-dance number cut from the original theatrical release. The DVD version, which hits retail shelves Aug. 19, also will feature the additional scene.
Director Fuqua Ordered To Settle Lawsuit
A judge Thursday ordered attorneys for Antoine Fuqua and a woman who claims she had an affair with the Training Day director to try to settle their legal dispute before it "spirals into the abyss,'' City News Service reports. Personal trainer Tanya Evans filed a malicious prosecution suit against Fuqua, who denies ever knowing Evans, in March, claiming the director and his wife, actress Lela Rochon, made false accusations of harassment that led to Evans' arrest last May.
For Love or Drink?
Rob Campos, the bachelor star of NBC's For Love or Money, has been let go from his job as an independent contractor at a Dallas law firm due to reports that he was expelled from military service in 1999 for drunkenly groping a female officer, The Associated Press reports, as well as for his behavior during the show's second episode where Campos made drunken romantic overtures to several women during an alcohol-soaked party in a hot tub. The 33-year-old Campos is the star of the romantic fantasy game, where he must choose a potential mate from among 15 women. The woman will be asked to choose between Campos and a $1 million prize. Hmmm.
Woman Sues Rosie's Defunct Show
Lucille DeBellis of Hartsdale, N.Y. has sued the producers of the now defunct The Rosie O'Donnell Show for injuring her with a hard rubber ball, AP reports. DeBellis, who was an audience member during a taping in November 2001, claims she was hit in the mouth when a show staffer flung a ball into the audience. AP reports the court papers say her physical discomfort and embarrassment about her appearance caused her to turn down holiday parties and other social events during the 2001 Christmas season as well as adversely affecting her relationship with her boyfriend.
Linkin Park Singer Bolts From Hospital
Chester Bennington, lead singer of the metal band Linkin Park, was released from a Los Angeles hospital after suffering from severe back and abdominal pains due to a virus, Billboard magazine reports. The group, which had to cancel 12 European dates, plans to reschedule the tour soon.
A Stripped Down Adam Ant
British pop singer Adam Ant, aka Stuart Goddard, was arrested Wednesday after he went "berserk" in a café near his London home and stripped off his pants, Reuters reports. This latest fracas follows an incident last summer when Goddard threatened customers at a local pub for laughing at his cowboy attire. He was freed in October after judges ruled he was suffering from temporary mental illness.
Luhrmann's La Boheme Closes Curtain
Australian director Baz Luhrmann's opulent version of the Puccini opera La Boheme, which recently lost out to Nine at the Tony Awards for best musical revival, will fold June 29 after a disappointing seven-month run and losses of about $6 million, AP reports. "We just didn't reach the suburban, traditional musical theatergoing audience," producer Jeffrey Seller told AP Wednesday. "We reached the cognoscenti, we reached the kids, we reached the Baz fans, we reached art lovers in New York City, particularly Manhattan."
Role Call: Spader Joins The Practice, Fall Guy Goes Big Screen
Secretary star James Spader is in final negotiations to join ABC's legal drama The Practice in wake of the recent exit of six cast members including Dylan McDermott and Lara Flynn Boyle. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Spader will play Alan Shore, a complicated and ethically challenged lawyer…Meanwhile, Warner Bros. is developing a feature film around the popular '80s series The Fall Guy, which starred Lee Majors as a stuntman who moonlights as a bounty hunter. Oh, why not?
Top Story: Sandler To Join Cruise in Collateral
Funnyman Adam Sandler is in talks to star opposite Tom Cruise in director Michael Mann's drama Collateral for DreamWorks. The story revolves around a cab driver who picks up a passenger, a contract killer who takes him hostage as he travels around Los Angeles to conduct his business. The action all takes place on a single night. If Sandler joins the project, he would play Max the cabbie while Cruise would take on the villainous role. According to Variety, Cruise and Mann have been trying for awhile to find a film to work on together. The pic is expected to begin production in October, before Cruise is set to start working on Mission: Impossible 3.
Stewart Writes Open Letter
Martha Stewart published an open letter in USA Today and on the Internet at www.marthatalks.com on Thursday proclaiming her innocence and encouraging fans to send her email, Reuters reports. The government charged Stewart yesterday with securities fraud and lying to authorities, claiming she interfered with the investigation into the timing of a sale of her ImClone Systems Inc. shares. "I simply returned a call from my stockbroker," Stewart wrote. "The government's attempt to criminalize these actions makes no sense to me."
Will & Grace Actress Pleads No Contest
Will & Grace actress Shelley Morrison, who plays Karen's maid Rosario on the hit NBC sitcom, pleaded no contest Wednesday to shoplifting about $450 worth of jewelry from a Robinsons-May department store in Los Angeles last April, Reuters reports. The 66-year-old actress was sentenced to one year's probation and fined $300 for misdemeanor petty theft. Morrison thanked her family and friends for their support during her ordeal and said she was looking forward to resuming work on the next season of the show.
Jennifer Connelly and Husband Expecting
Academy Award-winner Jennifer Connelly and her husband Paul Bettany are expecting a boy in August, Reuters reports. Connelly was supposed to do interviews to promote the new comic book actioner The Hulk, which hits theaters June 20, but a publicist for Universal Pictures says the actress is "on bed rest right now." The couple starred together in Ron Howard's 2001 drama A Beautiful Mind and were married in early January of this year.
Foxx Needs Time in New Orleans Case
A lawyer for actor Jamie Foxx has asked the judge in his case in New Orleans for a continuance, The Associated Press reports. Foxx, who is free on $1,900 bond, was arrested in April on charges of trespassing, disturbing the peace, battery on police officers and resisting arrest. Trouble started when Foxx, his sister and their group were asked to show identification before going into a casino near the French Quarter. Police say the actor, who was in New Orleans to film Unchain My Heart, fought with police after he and his entourage refused to leave.
R. Kelly Can't Film Video in L.A.
Cook County Judge Vincent Michael Gaughan ruled Wednesday that R&B singer R. Kelly can travel to Los Angeles to attend the BET Awards and perform at an upcoming concert, but cannot go there to film a music video, the AP reports. Kelly, who is free on bond since he was indicted on 21 child pornography charges last June, hasn't been allowed to leave the Chicago area without a judge's permission since his indictment. Gaughan said Kelly's attorneys presented no argument why he couldn't produce a video with technology and creative resources in his hometown of Chicago.
Linkin Park Frontman Hospitalized
Linkin Park frontman Chester Bennington was admitted to a Los Angeles-area hospital after suffering "an attack of severe back and abdominal pains," a representative for the band said Wednesday. According to a statement on the band's Web site, all touring and video shoot plans in Europe have been put on hold this month until Chester fully recovers. "We wish him the best and will keep everyone posted as to his condition." Linkin Park received a Grammy award for their 2000 debut album Hybrid Theory.
Everclear Wants Moshing To Stop
Everclear singer Art Alexakis told AP Radio he's tired of seeing girls kicked in the head in mosh pits during concert performances. Alexakis said that while he's "a little reminiscent for the summer of '94 just like anyone else," he's sick of people getting hurt. The singer says people still mosh at their shows, but they tend to jump more than mosh. "It's just like, just watch the show," he said. To keep things interesting for the fans, Alexakis says they've been pulling an audience member to play guitar on the single "Santa Monica."
Role Call: MGM Picks Up Cedric's Flash
Barbershop's Cedric the Entertainer will star and produce Flash for MGM. According to The Hollywood Reporter, the project is described as a comedy with heart centering on Coach Levels (Cedric), who leads a group of athletes both on and off the playing field and forms a tight bond with one of the kids.