Actress Jamie-Lynn Sigler's ex-husband has been released on bail following his arrest on stock fraud. A.J. Discala walked free from Brooklyn Federal Court in New York on Wednesday (23Jul14) after posting $2 million (GBP1.2 million).
He was indicted for allegedly running a $300 million (GBP176.5 million) stock scam.
Discala pleaded not guilty, but his bid to walk free was almost derailed, according to the New York Daily News when federal prosecutors objected to his proposed meeting with Google and Microsoft executives.
Discala has agreed to wear an electronic ankle bracelet to monitor his whereabouts, but insisted that home arrest would prevent him from attending important meetings.
Discala and The Sopranos actress wed in 2003 but were divorced three years later.
Shamed rocker Ian Watkins has lost his bid to appeal against his 35-year jail sentence for child sex offences. The former Lostprophets frontman was ordered to serve at least 29 years behind bars before he can apply for early release after he was convicted of a number of sickening charges, including the attempted rape of a baby.
Watkins, 36, moved to challenge his lengthy sentence, but his bid was rejected by a panel of judges at Cardiff Crown Court in Wales on Wednesday (23Jul14). They ruled he does not have grounds to appeal against his prison term.
Lord Justice Pritchard, one of the three judges sitting at Cardiff Crown Court, ruled, "These were offences against infant children of such shocking depravity that a very lengthy sentence of imprisonment was demanded, not withstanding the absence of physical injury. It is not demonstrated that the total sentence of 29 years together with the extended licence period was arguably manifestly excessive. Accordingly, the application in his case is refused."
The singer was convicted last year (13) after he pleaded guilty to 13 charges.
"Thank you to everyone for your amazing messages of support today." British pop star Tulisa Contostavlos is grateful for her fans' kind words after she was cleared of helping to set up a cocaine deal for an undercover reporter. The not guilty verdict was delivered on Monday (21Jul14) as her trial in London collapsed due to inconsistencies in the case.
British pop star Tulisa Contostavlos has been sensationally cleared of helping to set up a cocaine deal. The former N-Dubz singer was found not guilty on Monday (21Jul14) just days into a trial at London's Southwark Crown Court.
She was accused of brokering a $1,360 (£800) cocaine deal for undercover newspaper reporter Mazher Mahmood last year (13) but denied the charge.
Contostavlos, 26, was cleared of being concerned in the supply of drugs after Judge Alistair McCreath told the court on Monday that there were inconsistencies in The Sun on Sunday journalist's evidence in the case.
Speaking outside court after she was cleared, Contostavlos said, "Let me be perfectly clear - I have never dealt drugs and never been involved in taking or dealing cocaine. This whole case was a horrific and disgusting entrapment by Mazher Mahmood and The Sun on Sunday newspaper...
"Thankfully, the lies have been uncovered and justice done... I have been unable to work for a year and I am now looking forward to resuming my career."
Bosses at The Sun on Sunday issued a statement after the case to reveal that Mahmood has been suspended pending an internal investigation into the collapse of the trial.
Keane rocker Tim Rice-Oxley been banned from the roads for two years for drink-driving. The keyboardist, 38, was arrested in East Sussex, England in April (14) when a roadside breath test revealed he was almost three times over the drink-drive limit.
Rice-Oxley appeared at Hastings Magistrates Court earlier this month (Jul14) and pleaded guilty to the charge.
He was banned from the roads for 24 months and fined $1,275 (£750). He was also ordered to pay court costs of $145 (£85) and a victim surcharge of $128 (£75).
The driving ban can be reduced by 24 weeks if he successfully completes a road safety course.
Former As I Lay Dying frontman Tim Lambesis has lost his bid to shave time off his prison sentence after he was found guilty of plotting to kill his wife. The rocker's lawyer argued his client's time behind bars should be reduced by the amount of time he served while under "house arrest" as he awaited sentencing, but in a Del Mar, California court on Friday (18Jul14), Judge Carlos Armour denied the request, explaining that credit only applies to inmates held in lieu of bail.
He stated, "He was privately monitored, not by the Sheriff who controls those in custody in this County. Therefore, those custody credits are denied."
Lambesis was sentenced to six years behind bars in May (14).
He was arrested in May, 2013 after handing an undercover cop, pretending to be a hitman, cash and instructions of how to gain entry to his wife's home.
Prior to his sentencing, the singer expressed his remorse and told authorities that his steroid use was "affecting many decisions in my life". He insisted, "I am not a risk to her (wife Meggan) in the slightest way."
A man accused of trespassing on Taylor Swift's beachfront property in Rhode Island on three separate occasions has been sentenced to 18 months of probation. Daniel P. Cole was initially taken into custody and charged in December (13) after he parked his pick-up truck outside the singer's Watch Hill home and refused to move.
Police were called to the scene to investigate and the Massachusetts resident allegedly became involved in an altercation with officers, just 12 days after Swift's security guards had to escort Cole off the star's estate.
The second incident landed the 39 year old a no trespassing order, but cops found him back on the property in March (14), when he was also slapped with a no contact ruling, demanding he keep his distance from the singer and her home, according to local paper The Westerly Sun.
He pleaded not guilty to misdemeanour charges of wilful trespassing and disorderly conduct, but was convicted on Thursday (17Jul14) after a three-day trial in Warwick, Rhode Island.
Judge Frank Cenerini ordered Cole serve probation and undergo anger management screening and counselling. He also renewed the no trespassing and no contact orders.
Cole hasn't been the only unwelcome visitor at Swift's Rhode Island luxury house - three people recently pleaded not guilty to disorderly conduct charges after allegedly hurling beer bottles at the mansion in June (14).
The singer was not home at the time of either incident.
A New York rapper affiliated with the Wu-Tang Clan has pleaded guilty to a manslaughter charge stemming from a fatal car accident on New Year's Day (01Jan14).
Shyheim Franklin, 35, surrendered to police in January (14) in the days after the crash on Staten Island, New York which killed Felipe Avila Olea, 29. He was accused of driving into the victim's car after ignoring a stop sign, and hitting a parked vehicle before fleeing the scene on foot.
Franklin has now pleaded guilty to second-degree manslaughter and a weapon possession charge relating to a gun which police officers found in his apartment last year (13).
The rapper has recorded music under the stage names Manchild, Little Shyheim and The Rugged Child, and worked with stars including the Wu-Tang's RZA, Tupac Shakur, and the Notorious B.I.G., who he once shared a stage with.
Filmmakers Randall Miller and Jody Savin have broken their silence following the death of a camera assistant on their Allman Brothers biopic Midnight Rider, insisting they have committed no crime. Director Miller and his writer/producer wife were shooting a dream sequence on a train trestle in Wayne County, Georgia in February (14) when an oncoming train disrupted filming. Sarah Jones lost her life when the train hit her.
The filmmakers, who surrendered to local authorities on Sunday (13Jul14), have pleaded not guilty to the criminal charges filed against them, and now they've released a statement through their attorney.
Miller and Savin write, "In the weeks and months that follow when the true facts of the events are revealed, people will know that this was not a crime: we never had criminal intent; we would never knowingly or intentionally put anybody’s safety at risk. This was a horrible tragedy and a horrific accident.
"We have remained silent out of respect for the family of Sarah Jones, their loved ones and all of the crew who were injured on that very sad day.
"Our hearts are broken, our spirits are broken. We have young children and can only imagine with immense sadness the heartbreak of losing a child. We are praying for Sarah’s family."
A third producer, Jay Sedrish, turned himself in to police in Georgia on Thursday (17Jul14).
The trio has been indicted on charges of involuntary manslaughter and criminal trespass.
Several civil suits have also been filed against MIller, Savin, Sedrish and other individuals and entities associated with the film.
Jazz veteran Herbie Hancock has written a letter to a judge in support of a friend who is facing jail on drugs charges. Bruce Veniero, 71, is facing 10 years in prison after spending more than a decade on the run in South America. He pleaded guilty to a number of drug smuggling charges in New York City in 1998, but disappeared after skipping out on his $1 million (£588,235) bail.
He will be sentenced on Friday (18Jul14) in Long Island Federal Court, and his friend Hancock has written a note to the judge overseeing the case to ask for leniency.
In the letter, the musician calls Veniero a trusted friend who has given him "unceasing support and encouragement throughout the years," according to the New York Daily News.
The pair is believed to have grown close in the 1970s when Veniero ran a restaurant in California where Hancock often performed.
Veniero was brought back to the U.S. after he was arrested by Interpol officials in Buenos Aires, Argentina in 2009.