Publishing tycoon Rupert Murdoch is wanted for questioning by British police as part of an inquiry into alleged criminal activity at his newspapers. The news comes after Murdoch's former News of the World editor Andy Coulson was found guilty on a charge of conspiracy to intercept communications at the Old Bailey in London on Tuesday (24Jun14).
Rebekah Brooks, the ex-News International chief executive and former editor of Murdoch's British newspapers The Sun and the News of the World, was cleared of all charges relating to the sensational phone-hacking trial.
According to reports, Murdoch was contacted by officers at Scotland Yard last year (13) but they agreed to his lawyer's request to wait until the trial was over to quiz the media mogul.
He is expected to be questioned "under caution" as part of their probe into alleged criminal activities at his British newspapers, and his son James, who was executive chairman of News International in the U.K., may also be interviewed.
In 2011, Murdoch and his son attended a British Parliament inquiry into the phone-hacking scandal, during which the tycoon was attacked by an interloper wielding a cream pie.
Stars including Hugh Grant, Jude Law, Sienna Miller and Steve Coogan were among the high-profile victims of the News of the World's hacking scandal. The publication was closed by Murdoch in 2011.
A jury is still deliberating further charges against Coulson, who denies allegations of conspiring to commit misconduct in a public office.
Former newspaper boss Rebekah Brooks has been sensationally cleared of all charges relating to the high-profile phone-hacking trial in London. The ex-News International chief executive, and former editor of Britain's The Sun and News of the World newspapers, was found not guilty of four charges, including conspiracy to intercept communications, perverting the course of justice and conspiracy to commit misconduct in public office.
Meanwhile, Andy Coulson, another former editor of now-defunct tabloid News of the World, was found guilty on a charge of conspiracy to intercept communications.
Brooks' husband Charlie Brooks was found not guilty of perverting the course of justice, while her personal assistant Cheryl Carter was also cleared of the same charge.
News International's former head of security Mark Hanna was cleared of concealing computers, while the News of the World's former managing editor Stuart Kuttner was found not guilty of conspiracy to intercept communications.
The jury is still deliberating two further charges against Coulson and another against the News of the World's former royal editor Clive Goodman.
Stars including Hugh Grant, Jude Law, Sienna Miller and Steve Coogan were among the high-profile victims of the News of the World's hacking scandal. The publication was closed by Rupert Murdoch in 2011.
Weinstein Company via Everett Collection
Gary Oldman is convinced Mel Gibson fell victim to "political correctness" and was treated like an "outcast" in the aftermath of his infamous racial slur scandal.
The Braveheart star hit the headlines in 2006 after launching into an anti-Semitic rant while he was being booked for drink-driving by a Jewish police officer in Malibu, California. Gibson publicly apologised, calling the incident a "moment of insanity", and the arrest was expunged from his record in 2009 after he had served three years probation.
However, Oldman is adamant Gibson was unfairly ostracised by the Hollywood community in the wake of the scandal. He tells Playboy magazine, "We all hide and try to be so politically correct. That's what gets me... I don't know about Mel. He got drunk and said a few things, but we've all said those things... We're all f**king hypocrites. That's what I think about it. The policeman who arrested him has never used the word n**ga or that f**king Jew? I'm being brutally honest here. It's the hypocrisy of it that drives me crazy... Mel Gibson is in a town that's run by Jews and he said the wrong thing because he's actually bitten the hand that I guess has fed him - and doesn't need to feed him anymore because he's got enough dough. He's like an outcast, a leper, you know? But some Jewish guy in his office somewhere hasn't turned and said, 'That f***ing kraut' or 'F**k those Germans,' whatever it is? We all hide and try to be so politically correct. That's what gets me. You have to be very careful about what you say."
Oldman's representative Douglas Urbanski has since clarified the actor's comments and insisted The Dark Knight star is not condoning Gibson's behaviour. He tells Britain's The Independent newspaper, "On the topic of Mel Gibson, Gary does not 'defend' him... Political correctness is a thing that drives Gary and many many others crazy... In this interview, Gary is doing what many intelligent people do: he is illustrating the absurd by being absurd."
Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World'S End has been named the most expensive film ever.
The 2007 movie, which grossed $963 million (£601.8 million) at the worldwide box office, cost $341.8 million (£213.6 million) to produce, according to Business Insider.
Elizabeth Taylor's Cleopatra comes in at number two with a modern-day budget of $339.5 million (£212 million).
Titanic takes the third spot with $294.3 million (£184 million).
The musical adaptation of Disney's cult 1990s film Newsies is set to close after two years on Broadway. The production will shut its doors on 24 August (14) after 1,0005 performances at the Nederlander Theatre.
Inspired by the real-life Newsboys Strike of 1899 in New York City, Newsies was originally slated to run for 101 shows, but was extended and went on to win two Tony Awards for Best Original Score and Best Choreography.
Newsies has grossed more than $100 million (£58.8 million) in Broadway ticket sales, compared to the $3 million (£1.7 million) the 1992 film earned at the U.S. box office.
The show will go on the road for a North American tour beginning in October (14).
Colorado law enforcement officials believe a shooting involving rapper Schoolboy Q was a "targeted" incident. The hip-hop star was leaving the Red Rocks Amphitheatre, just outside Denver, after performing with Nas on Thursday (19Jun14), when the sports utility vehicle he was a passenger in was showered with bullets, leaving three of Schoolboy Q's associates with injuries.
Following the incident, the Collard Greens hitmaker was detained by police for questioning and they have now announced they do not believe the attack was random.
Jacki Kelley, a spokeswoman for the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office, says, "This is not just a coincidence. We think there is probably more to it than that. It does seem to be more targeted than random."
Police officers are still searching for a suspect, who has been described as a tall, black male, who "used a rifle" and "fled the immediate scene on foot".
Meanwhile, none of the victims' injuries are considered life-threatening, and one person has already been discharged from hospital.
Comedy Think Like A Man Too has shot to the top of the North American box office with a $30 million (GBP18.75 million) opening weekend (20-22Jun14). The sequel, starring Kevin Hart, Gabrielle Union and Michael Ealy, has toppled Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill's 22 Jump Street, which brought in $29 million (GBP18.1 million) in its second weekend on release.
Coming in at number three is How to Train Your Dragon 2, while Maleficent and Clint Eastwood's Jersey Boys round out the top five.
Rapper Schoolboy Q has assured fans he is not in trouble with police after he was photographed in handcuffs following a shooting at a Colorado concert with Nas late on Thursday night (19Jun14). The hip-hop star was leaving the Red Rocks Amphitheatre, just outside of Denver, after performing at the Feed The Rocks show, when the SUV (sports utility vehicle) he was travelling in was showered with bullets, injuring three of Schoolboy Q's associates.
The driver of the SUV pulled out of the venue car park to leave the area, but they were soon stopped by police, who proceeded to detain Schoolboy Q for questioning as the shooting victims were taken to hospital.
He was subsequently released and took to Twitter.com early on Friday (20Jun14) to write, "im str8 (straight)...... dont trip (worry) (sic)."
Police at the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office have since appealed to the public for help in tracking down the mystery assailant, who has been described as a tall, black male, who "used a rifle" and "fled the immediate scene on foot".
None of the victims' injuries were life-threatening, and one person has already been discharged from hospital.
Reality TV star-turned-fashion designer Lauren Conrad walked out of a restaurant while celebrating her bachelorette party in Cabo, Mexico on Thursday (19Jun14) after learning bosses at the establishment allegedly discriminated against gay couples. Taking to her Twitter.com account, she wrote, "The Office in Cabo does not allow same sex couples to participate in couple games. Had to walk out. #equality #StopTheHate". The former The Hills star is set to wed aspiring lawyer William Tell.
Universal Pictures via Everett Collection
We might have to wait a little longer for the next installment in the Jason Bourne franchise, but if the rumors are true, it might just be worth the wait. Tentative reports over at Latino Review say that the reason that the fifth Bourne movie was moved from its original August 2015 release date to one in July 2016 is because director Justin Lin is planning to bring back Jason Bourne himself: Matt Damon. Though the actor and national treasure has long said that he wouldn’t reprise the role without director Paul Greengrass on board, it seems that the revised script by Andrew Baldwin might have been enough to get him to change his mind.
The site also states that Damon might be considering a return to the Bourne franchise as a way of bouncing back from recent poor box office performance, but considering that both Elysium and The Monuments Men did reasonably well, we think Damon’s still got what it takes to open a blockbuster. So, if Damon is looking to return, it seems more likely that his motivation is love of the character, rather than kick starting his career, which means that the real question isn’t whether Damon will make another Bourne movie. The real question is whether or not he should.
There’s no denying that another Damon-fronted Bourne film would be exciting. Though The Bourne Legacy did its best to tell a new, interesting story, Damon is really the heart of the franchise. Without him as the lead, the films fall apart. Plus, Damon’s involvement with the new film would ensure that every single detail would be on point, since there’s no way that he would ever sign on for another Bourne adventure unless both the script and vision met the high bar set by the first three. It’s always rare to get a smart, well-crafted action film – let alone a trilogy! – but since Damon delivered them with the Bourne trilogy, it’s basically a guarantee that we’d have another exciting, high-quality blockbuster ready to hit theaters.
But even though moviegoers might want one, Damon doesn’t need to make another Bourne movie. Elysium and The Monuments Men might not have done as well as predicted, but they were still very successful films, and his name still has a great impact on box office results. His career isn’t in a slump, and he’s got a few high-profile projects lined up, including The Martian, a Whitey Bulger biopic that he is producing with Ben Affleck, a role in Interstellar, and several big television projects. He has more than enough interesting, original works lined up to keep him busy, and allow him to explore other creative endeavors like writing and producing.
Part of the reason that Damon has been able to have such a successful career is because he chooses diverse projects. Sure, he made three Bournes and three Ocean’s movies, but he followed each of them up with films that allowed him to play a completely different role. It wouldn’t make sense for him to now backtrack and go back to playing Jason Bourne now that he’s spent so much time and had so much success exploring different types of characters. Besides, Damon would be 45 by the time filming begins. If the fifth Bourne is a success, the studio will probably want him back for a sixth. That’s a long time to be tied to a franchise, and even though it’s not as intimidating as Affleck’s proposed tenure as Batman, it’s still going to interfere with a lot of the projects he has lined up.
In the end, the Bourne franchise needs Damon much more than he need to step back into Jason Bourne’s shoes. He’s still one of the biggest stars in the world, still carrying major films to success and he’s still the most well-liked man in Hollywood. As much as we’d love to see more of Jason Bourne, Damon will be just fine if he stays away. At this point, that’s probably his best move. After all, if things ever do go downhill for him, he can just reboot it as an older-man action franchise, like Liam Neeson and Bruce Willis. They seem to be doing pretty well for themselves.