Interpol frontman Paul Banks has written a touching tribute to the late School Of Seven Bells frontman Benjamin Curtis, who lost his battle with cancer last month (Dec13). The influential guitarist had been diagnosed with T-cell Lymphoblastic Lymphoma 11 months before he passed away on 29 December (13), aged 35, and now his pal Banks has remembered him in an article for Britain's NME magazine.
In the piece, Banks hails his friend as a major talent, writing, "Benjamin was gentle and soft spoken and yet he always seemed to be alight. There was a fire inside him that came through as a powerful charisma on or offstage. He was special. I used to refer to him as 'Mr Mojo', to portray what I felt was his indelible magnetism...
"(He leaves) an incredible legacy. He will always be an inspiration for me and anyone else who was blessed to spend time with him, see him perform, or hear his music. In all of his endeavours he brought a signature presence - style, poise and fury."
Banks was among the musicians who rallied behind Curtis after news of his cancer fight became public early last year (13) and helped to raise funds to cover the cost of his medical treatment. Devendra Banhart and The Strokes' Albert Hammond, Jr. also did their part for the campaign.
School Of Seven Bells star Benjamin Curtis has lost his battle with cancer at the age of 35, according to U.S. reports. The influential guitarist was diagnosed with T-cell Lymphoblastic Lymphoma earlier this year (13).
The Oklahoma native also drummed for Tripping Daisy and formed Secret Machines with his brothers.
He formed School of Seven Bells with Alejandra Deheza in 2007.
Upon learning of his cancer diagnosis, stars like Interpol's Paul Banks, Devendra Banhart and The Strokes' Albert Hammond Jr., helped raise funds to cover his treatment.
They seemed like an odd couple at first but Kristen Wiig and The Strokes drummer Fabrizio Moretti are still going strong
The 38-year-old Bridesmaids star tells the August issue of Marie Claire, "I will say that I’m happier than I’ve ever been. And I feel very lucky right now."
When asked the reasons why she feels fortunate, Wiig explained, "Where I am now. Who he is. Those are the two big ones."
Most celebrity-watchers remember 32-year-old hipster Moretti as Drew Barrymore's long-time boyfriend. But here are some other things to know:
1. He was born in Brazil and is fluent in Portuguese.
2. Moretti shares a birthday with actor Justin Long, another one of Barrymore's exes.
3. He's an avid artist. He lived in Paris for several months to pursue art.
4. In 2009, he had planned a collaboration with Natalie Portman's ex, Devendra Banhart.
5. He's a bit of a thrillseeker. He recently described jumping off a building. "In New Zealand, they have this thing, off the Sky Tower, it's not a bungee jump, 'cause you never go back up, but you're harnessed," he told The Quietus. "There's a string behind you, and two strings to your sides, and at the end of the two strings there are these wings, and these connect the strings from the top of the tower to the bottom of the tower, and as they go along, they get further and further away from each other, so that you slow down as you get towards the ground. You see what I'm saying?"
Kristen Wiig Says Farewell To 'Saturday Night Live' Is 'SNL' Facing a Funny Lady Shortage?
The Star Wars star has announced she and choreographer Benjamin Millepied are engaged and expecting their first child.
The couple met while Millepied was helping Portman perfect her ballet dancing for new movie Black Swan.
The child will be the first for the 29-year-old actress, whose ex-boyfriends include musician Devendra Banhart and Mexican actor Gael Garcia Bernal.
Portman met Star Trek actor Chris Hemsworth after they were cast together in forthcoming movie Thor.
Shooting isn't scheduled to begin until January (10), but the pair is reportedly dating already.
A source tells Star magazine, "Sparks have been flying since their first meeting. He seems to have a crush on her, and she clearly loves the attention."
Cyrus found love with Chris' sibling Liam Hemsworth after the pair shot new movie The Last Song together.
Portman has been single since splitting from folk rocker Devendra Banhart last year (08).