Model/actress Jenny Mccarthy was quietly happy to learn Italian fashion guru Stefano Gabbana had been sentenced to jail for tax evasion, insisting the punishment is "karma" for treating her badly 16 years ago. The busty blonde had a rude run-in with the Dolce & Gabbana label co-founder backstage at the MTV Europe Music Awards in 1998, when she served as the ceremony's host, after she failed to recognise the designer while wearing one of his luxury dresses.
Recalling the incident on her U.S. talk show The View on Thursday (01May14) - a day after the designers were sentenced to 18 months behind bars, she said, "I call that karma... I hosted the MTV awards in Milan back in the '90s and I had all the Italian designers, Versace, Gabbana... fighting for me to wear their outfit. I chose Dolce & Gabbana.
"In the commercials, I go to the bathroom and backstage was Gabbana approaching me. I didn't know what he looked like - I'm from Chicago! All of a sudden... he literally pushes me in my dressing room, gets the police, makes me take off that dress that I'm wearing. I start crying, like, 'You can't make me take off this dress, I have to go back out there...!'
"He'd loaned it to me but because of his ego, I didn't recognise him and say, 'Oh, hello Mr. Gabbana, thank you for the dress'. I walked past him and he had the police come and make me strip down... He not only took the dress, he took the bra and the shoes! I put on a Versace dress and (went back out onstage)."
Domenico Dolce and his business partner Gabbana were found guilty of with tax evasion last June (13) and they were handed suspended 20-month jail terms. An Italian appeals court judge upheld the conviction during a hearing on Wednesday (30Apr14) and ordered them to serve 18 months behind bars.
Fashion gurus Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana have been sentenced to serve 18 months behind bars in Italy for tax evasion. An Italian appeals court judge upheld the duo's 2013 conviction for allegedly avoiding taxes on approximately 1 billion euros in the 2004 sale of their Dolce & Gabbana and D&G brands.
A lower court judge handed the pair suspended 20-month jail sentences and fined them last June (13).
A male streaker disrupted Milan Fashion Week in Italy on Saturday (22Jun13) after crashing the runway during a presentation by designers Dolce & Gabbana. The unidentified man stormed the stage at the fashion show, wearing nothing but white ankle socks and red shoes, as he ran screaming up and down the catwalk before security guards managed to apprehend him and remove him from the venue.
The unexpected interruption drew little more than a few gasps from audience members at the menswear presentation - describing the incident, a fashion editor for GQ magazine writes, "While the designers come out for their bow and turn to walk backstage, from down the other end of the runway a guy rips off his clothes... Says nothing (anyone) can understand and just kind of zig zags up the runway before the first security guard tries to cut him off.
"(He) maneuvers (sic) a little but turns back and that's when four guards create a perimeter to block his junk and he's taken away. Fashion community says 'huh?'."
The streaking incident landed Dolce & Gabbana back in the headlines days after founders Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana were sentenced to 20 months behind bars for tax evasion in Italy. They are planning to appeal the ruling.
Bruno Mars will wear designs created by embattled fashion gurus Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana when he kicks off his Moonshine Jungle world tour at the weekend (22Jun13). A day after the style duo was convicted for tax evasion in their native Italy, they have revealed Mars will be wearing suits and clothes they have custom tailored for him onstage.
A statement released by Dolce & Gabbana reads: "Bruno's style and music are so eclectic that oftentimes we have taken inspiration directly from his work to create looks that were at the same time in line with his very personal taste, as well as with the DNA of Dolce & Gabbana.
"With time, we have managed to establish with him a relationship of absolute faith in each other and mutual trust, that allows us to create and work together in an atmosphere of complete harmony."
It isn't the first time the designers have outfitted a major star's stage wardrobe - they were behind the gear Madonna wore on her Girlie Show and Music tours in 1993 and 2000, and they have also created costumes for Mary J. Blige, Kylie Minogue and Beyonce.
Lately, things aren't looking so dolce for Dolce & Gabbana. On Wednesday, an Italian court sentenced fashion designer duo Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana to one year and eight months in prison for tax evasion. According to reports, the designers hid almost one billion euros (1.33 billion dollars) from the government through a Luxembourg-based company called Gado (a combination of the first two letters of each of their last names).
This is not the first time the luxury design team has been subject to legal issues. In 2011, they were accused of tax fraud, also in conjunction with the company in Luxembourg. However, the judge threw out the case at a preliminary hearing, ruling that there was not enough evidence. This recent case, however, seems to be gaining more traction.
But don't expect a new line of chic orange jumpsuits anytime soon. (Is that even the uniform in Italian prisons?) The Dolce & Gabbana designers refused to appear in court, and reportedly plan to appeal the guilty verdict. According to Reuters, "Given the complexity and length of the appeals process, they are unlikely to spend any time in jail."
Buona fortuna, ragazzi!
Follow Caroline on Twitter @carolinesb | Follow Hollywood.com on Twitter @Hollywood_com
More:Dolce & Gabbana Tax Fraud Case DismissedRoberto Cavalli's Curve-Less Beyonce Image Causes Uproar, But Is It Warranted?Roberto Cavalli Guilty of Tax Fraud
From Our PartnersStars Pose Naked for 'Allure' (Celebuzz)20 Grisliest TV Deaths of 2012-2013 (Vulture)
Fashion designers Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana have been sentenced to 20 months behind bars after they were convicted of tax evasion in Milan, Italy on Wednesday (19Jun13). Dolce and Gabbana were found guilty of failing to declare $1.3 billion in income to tax authorities.
The fashion gurus were previously hit with a $440 million (£284 million) fine by Italy's Tax Commission following allegations they sold their company to a firm in Luxembourg in 2004 to avoid paying higher corporate taxes.
The pair plans to file an appeal.
Italian officials have been investigating Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana's stylish firm over accusations of tax evasion amounting to up to $1.4 billion over claims bosses set up a company in Luxembourg to control the group's brands to avoid paying Italian taxes.
The case had been heading to trial but it came to a halt on Friday (01Apr11) when a judge at a preliminary hearing in Milan ruled there is not enough evidence to proceed. Judge Simone Luerti dismissed the case and closed the file on Dolce and Gabbana as well as five other people who were also under investigation, according to the AFP.
Officials in Italy have been investigating the stylish firm, set up by Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana in 1985, over accusations of tax evasion amounting to up to $1.4 billion.
Prosecutors claim executives set up a company in Luxembourg which was given control of the group's brands to allegedly avoid paying Italian taxes.
Officials have now called for the case to go to trial, according to ANSA.
The stars, who travel between homes in Nashville, Tennessee and her native Australia, have purchased a three-bedroom, three-and-a-half bathroom penthouse in a luxury building in Manhattan's Chelsea district, reports the New York Post.
The 3,248-square-foot home, which was listed for $12.5 million (£8.3 million), also boasts views of the Hudson River from two terraces, and a dramatic stairway.
And the couple can count on having celebrity pals close by - fashion designer Domenico Dolce of Dolce & Gabbana lives in the same building.
Top Story: Clear Channel Dumps Howard Stern
Many listeners who regularly listen to shock jock Howard Stern's nationally syndicated show were in for a surprise this morning. Radio giant Clear Channel Communications, Inc., said Wednesday it was dumping Stern from its six radio outlets that carry his show (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.; Rochester, N.Y.; Orlando, Fla.; San Diego, Calif.; Pittsburgh, Pa.; and Louisville, Ky.) under a new "zero tolerance" policy toward indecency, Reuters reports. Stern's Tuesday interview with Rick Salomon--hotel heiress Paris Hilton's partner in the infamous sex tape--is the reason why. According to a transcript of the show released by Clear Channel, Stern asked Salomon if he engaged in anal sex and referred to the size of his penis. Then, using a racist term, a caller asked Salomon if he had ever had sex with any famous black women. "Clear Channel drew a line in the sand today with regard to protecting our listeners from indecent content, and Howard Stern's show blew right through it," Clear Channel Radio president John Hogan said in a statement. "It was vulgar, offensive and insulting, not just to women and African Americans but to anyone with a sense of common decency."
Jackson Documentary Wins Journalism Prize
Martin Bashir's 90-minute documentary Living With Michael Jackson, in which the self-proclaimed King of Pop said he sometimes lets children sleep in his bed, has been named program of the year in the Royal Television Society's TV journalism awards. The industry group said Tuesday the interview showed "great journalistic enterprise," The Associated Press reports. "To get the interview was remarkable enough, but to turn it into such riveting television with serious revelations that have stood the test of fierce reaction marked this out as the outstanding program of the year," the society said. Jackson is currently facing charges of child molestation in California.
Woman Alleges Martin Lawrence Hit Her
A woman sued Martin Lawrence Monday in Superior Court, accusing the comedian of hitting her in the jaw at a party after she asked him if he'd be interested in attending another party at the Playboy mansion. According to the lawsuit, when Jennifer Palmer approached Lawrence at a Jan. 18 party, he responded by "wildly waving his hands around, slurring and mumbling in a manner suggesting that he was intoxicated or otherwise disoriented, using very foul language." Palmer alleges she tried to push him away and he struck her in the jaw. Lawrence's publicist called the accusations false and "financially motivated." Palmer is seeking more than $25,000 for assault, battery and intentional infliction of emotional distress, the AP reports. A hearing is scheduled for June 7.
Wedding Scene Cut From Jersey Girl
Director Kevin Smith said he cut a wedding scene with Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez from his upcoming Jersey Girl. "I didn't know if [it was right] to leave it in," Smith is quoted as saying in the March 8 issue Us Weekly magazine. "People might forget they're watching a picture, like, 'Wait, didn't these two NOT get married?'" Affleck and Lopez abruptly postponed their September 2003 nuptials because of the excessive media attention surrounding the ceremony. They have since ended their engagement. Jersey Girl is set for release March 26.
Elvis' Granddaughter Makes Modeling Debut
The late Elvis Presley's 14-year-old granddaughter made her modeling debut at a fashion show in Milan, Italy, for designers Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana, Reuters reports. Riley Keough, daughter of Lisa Marie Presley and her first husband, musician Danny Keough, did her turn on the catwalk Wednesday, dressed in a tiny denim miniskirt and T-shirt. "I was really nervous before, I was shaking," Riley said after the show. "But it was fun. I'm looking forward to the next one."
Puddle of Mudd Singer Arrested
Puddle of Mudd lead singer Wesley Scantlin was arrested Sunday, after throwing a bottle and spitting at fans during a concert in Toledo, Ohio, AP reports. "We thought we were going to have a riot based on this guy's conduct," Earl Mack,an undercover state liquor agent with the Ohio Department of Public Safety's investigative unit, told the AP. "It could have been a lot worse." Scantlin was charged with disorderly conduct, intoxication, misconduct involving a public transportation system and criminal mischief. He was released Monday after posting $150 bond.
Doonesbury Wants Proof Bush Served
The Doonesbury comic strip is offering $10,000 to anyone who can prove President Bush served in the Alabama Air National Guard during the Vietnam War, Reuters reports. "That's right--we're offering $10,000 cash to anyone who can prove George W. Bush fulfilled his Guard duty in Alabama," Wednesday's strip said. "So if you served with Mr. Bush--even if only in the officers' club--we want to hear from you right now!" Readers are referred to the Web site doonesbury.com, where a Witness Registration Form asks for online testimony, Reuters reports. The winner, however, will not actually receive the reward but instead the Web site says the cash will be donated in the winner's name to the United Service Organization (USO), which entertains American troops.
Role Call: Rodriguez To Commit Sin
Director Robert Rodriguez will direct Sin City, an adaptation of Frank Miller's graphic noir crime novel series. According to Variety, the story is set in Las Vegas and interconnects storylines that involve unsavory inhabitants of the town. Rodriguez has already shot the film's opening with Josh Hartnett and Marley Shelton, and Variety reports he's now casting the remaining roles as the rest of the film gets under way in March.
Reported by Guylaine Cadorette and Kit Bowen