50 Cent is no longer facing a multi-million dollar lawsuit after a video star dropped her defamation case against him. Model Sally Ferreira, who appeared in the rapper's Big Rich Town promo, sued the In Da Club hitmaker for $11 million (£6.9 million) earlier this year (14) over allegations he defamed her on social media.
Ferreira claimed the hip-hop star, real name Curtis Jackson, cost her work in the music video industry after falsely accusing her of leaking behind-the-scenes photos of them in a bid to spread rumours suggesting they were dating.
However, her suit, which was filed in Manhattan Federal Court in New York City, was dropped on Friday (26Sep14), according to the New York Daily News.
Both parties filed motions to dismiss the case with prejudice, meaning the lawsuit cannot be refiled in future.
The rapper's lawyer Stephen Savva says, "As Mr. Jackson always believed, the baseless claims asserted against him were not worth 50 cents, no less the $11 million originally sought by the plaintiff."
Rapper 50 Cent is mourning the loss of his beloved grandmother.
Belulah Jackson has passed away but the cause of her death has yet to be revealed, according to MTV News. The In Da Club hitmaker openly spoke about his grandmother in the past, as she and her husband took the rapper in when he was eight years old following the death of his mother.
In June (14), the star, real name Curtis Jackson, told New York radio host Angie Martinez that his grandmother was suffering from an unidentified illness, and hoped she would pull through. He said, "Her actually being sick, for me this is the only person who took care of me. It's really uncomfortable for me. If I had one person in the world that I could give everything that I have to and I'd be comfortable with it, it'll be my grandmother."
Rapper 50 Cent has been tapped to perform on ex-girlfriend Chelsea Handler's final episode of her late night talk show, Chelsea Lately.
The In Da Club hitmaker first met the comedien during an appearance on her chat show in 2009, and shortly after, the unlikely pair began a highly-publicized relationship that lasted several months.
Now five years later, 50, real name Curtis Jackson, will return to the program for one last performance with his G-Unit crew, and it will also mark the first time Jackson and Handler will see each other since their split, according to the E! Network. Chelsea Lately will end its seven-year run on 26 August (14), and will include appearances by Handler's pals Jennifer Aniston and Sandra Bullock.
Rapper/actor Ice Cube has opened up about his controversial decision not to cast the late Eazy-E's son as the hip-hop icon in his forthcoming N.W.A. biopic, insisting the role required an experienced actor with "a lot of range". Eazy-E's son, Eric Wright, Jr., auditioned for the Straight Outta Compton film job and recently admitted he was disappointed after movie bosses decided to cast newcomer Jason Mitchell as the younger version of his tragic father.
Now Ice Cube, who is serving as one of the project's producers, has explained the reasons behind the decision, insisting aspiring actor Wright, Jr. simply wasn't a good fit.
Speaking to Colorado radio station KS 107.5, Ice Cube says, "He (Wright, Jr.) is an up-and-coming actor trying to do it, but we needed somebody who was a little more polished to play Eazy, because he goes through a lot in his life. He goes from selling dope in Compton to fighting for his life in a hospital bed. So we needed to find an actor with a lot of range. And we just couldn't use just anybody. We gave him (Wright, Jr.) a shot, and it just didn't work out."
Wright, Jr. wasn't the only N.W.A. offspring snubbed for a role in the film - Dr. Dre's aspiring actor/rapper son Curtis Young was also passed over in favour of Corey Hawkins, although Ice Cube's kid, O'Shea Jackson, Jr., will play his dad onscreen.
Meanwhile, the remaining N.W.A. bandmates MC Ren and DJ Yella will be played by Aldis Hodge and Neil Brown, Jr., respectively.
F. Gary Gray will direct the film about the rise of the iconic California rap group and their split in 1991.
The biopic is scheduled for release next summer (15).
Eazy-E's son is feeling disappointed after he was left out of the cast of upcoming N.W.A. biopic Straight Outta Compton. Lil' Eazy-E, real name Eric Wright, Jr., had hoped movie bosses would let him play his late father in the new movie about the legendary hip-hop group, but newcomer Jason Mitchell has been given the role instead.
The 30 year old tells TMZ.com he is disappointed with the decision, adding, "I am my father. I look like him. I sound like him."
Ice Cube's son O'Shea Jackson Jr. will portray his own father in the film, but Dr. Dre's son Curtis Young also faced disappointment when the role of his dad was given to actor Marcus Callender.
Wright, Jr., who was just 11 years old when his rapper father died from an AIDS-related illness in 1995, previously said of the movie role, "I'm the perfect man for the role. Who better to play him in the N.W.A. days? Like father, like son - no make-up needed."
Rap mogul Dr. Dre halted plans for his son to portray him on the big screen in N.W.A. biopic Straight Outta Compton over fears he didn't have enough acting experience. F. Gary Gray will direct the film about the rise of the California rap group, which included Dr. Dre, Ice Cube, the late Eazy-E, MC Ren and DJ Yella, and their split in 1991.
The cast was announced last week (ends22Jun14) and includes O'Shea Jackson, Jr., playing his father Ice Cube, and Jason Mitchell as Eazy-E.
Newcomer Marcus Callender landed the role of Dre, but the hip-hop veteran's aspiring actor/rapper son Curtis Young reveals he auditioned for the role first.
He says, "I actually tried out for the role, 'cause the casting company called me. But my father wanted somebody with more acting experience, and I haven't been acting for a long time, so I'm happy for the guy that got the role. It's one of those things where we want what's best for the movie and for the film. I had a lot of fans that were upset about it, but whatever's best for the film."
The biopic is set for release in 2015
Rapper Ja Rule has reignited his feud with 50 Cent in his new book. The hip-hop star's long-running war of words with the In Da Club hitmaker ran for 14 years, with the pair constantly trading shots against each other in interviews and songs until they publicly made amends in 2011,
But the Always on Time hitmaker has opened old wounds by detailing their feud in new memoir Unruly: The Highs and Lows of Becoming a Man, in which he claims 50 was "a crazed man on a mission to destroy me".
In the book, Ja Rule accuses 50 Cent, real name Curtis Jackson, of giving police officers information on him, music producer Irv 'Gotti' Lorenzo and their record label Murder Inc. following a 2000 brawl, during which his rap rival was shot nine times. He believes Jackson's co-operation with the police lead to a money-laundering case against Lorenzo and his brother, who were eventually acquitted in 2005.
He writes, “When they (police) asked him who he thought had shot him, it would make sense that 50 would have said, 'Ja Rule, Irv Gotti and Murder Inc.'... He secretly led them through his recordings for the answers they were looking for."
Ja Rule also recounts psychical altercations with the rapper, including a 2000 recording studio feud.
He recalls, "I hit him with the crutch. We proceeded to whip his ass. I was putting in my work. 50 was crunched in the corner. I slammed the big tannoy speaker down on him."
His memoir is due to be released on 31 July (14).
50 Cent is celebrating a big Wednesday - his latest album has debuted in America's top five and his new TV drama has been picked up for a second season. The rapper, real name Curtis Jackson, co-created gritty TV series Power for U.S. cable network Starz, and produces the project, about a New York club boss who leads a double life as a drug kingpin.
The series, which stars The A-Team's Omari Hardwick, debuted on Saturday (07Jun14) and Starz bosses have already picked it up for a second season.
50 Cent, who makes a cameo in the series, already has big plans for season two, stating, "Viewers may be loving the start of season one now, but season two will blow them away."
Meanwhile, the rap star's new album Animal Ambition has debuted at five on the Billboard 200 chart.
Rapper 50 Cent has defended himself after famously botching the ceremonial first pitch at the New York Mets baseball game on Tuesday (27May14), insisting the ball "slipped" from his hand. The Candy Shop hitmaker, real name Curtis Jackson, took the mound at Citi Field at the start of the Mets' home game against the Pittsburgh Pirates, but his off-course throw was labelled "terrible" and "one of the worst first pitches of all time" by multiple sports commentators.
He laughed off the incident by joking after the game, "50 Cent is the best. Curtis Jackson, I don't know what's the matter with him!" and writing on Instagram.com, "I'm a hustler not a Damn ball player. LMAO (laughing my a** off)..."
However, 50 had another excuse on Friday (30May14) when he was quizzed about the embarrassing mishap during an appearance on U.S. breakfast show Good Morning America.
Asked whether the poor pitch was a publicity stunt for his new album Animal Ambition, he stated, "Oh no, it slipped! It slipped out of my hand... I'm not a professional pitcher, I make music."
He then admitted the throw had been so bad, he was even teased about it by a police officer: "I actually got pulled over by New York City police... He pulled me over and I said, 'I got my licence, right?', because I was a little nervous when he pulled me over. I was, like, 'Oh no, what did I do?' and then he said, 'You know that pitch was terrible...'"
50 Cent's bad week continued during his GMA appearance in Central Park after technical difficulties blighted the start of his performance. The rapper hit the stage for a rendition of his new song Smoke with singer Trey Songz, but a faulty microphone caused him trouble for the first few seconds of the set.
However, the sound issue was quickly resolved and the 38 year old went to perform his hits In Da Club, Just A Lil Bit and Big Rich Town with singer Joe.
Rapper 50 Cent was left red-faced after he botched the ceremonial first pitch at the New York Mets game on Tuesday (27May14). The In Da Club hitmaker took the mound at Citi Field at the start of the Mets' home game against the Pittsburgh Pirates, but his off-course throw was labelled "terrible" and "one of the worst first pitches of all time" by multiple sports commentators.
50 Cent, real name Curtis Jackson, was caught on camera smiling and laughing following the bad pitch.
In an interview with SportsNet New York during the game, the Queens native joked, "50 Cent is the best. Curtis Jackson, I don't know what's the matter with him."
He also posted a clip of his pitch on his Instagram.com page with the caption, "I'm a hustler not a Damn ball player. LMAO (laughing my a** off)..."