Filmmaker Peter Rodger was convinced his son was a victim in the horrific Santa Barbara, California shooting rampage last month (May14) after seeing his name mentioned in stories about the massacre. Elliot Rodger embarked on a vengeful killing spree on 23 May (14), shooting six people dead and injuring 13 others before turning the gun on himself as part of a protest against the University of the City of Santa Barbara girls who had rejected him.
His father, who served as assistant director on 2012's The Hunger Games, has since revealed he found out his son was a killer via the Internet the morning after the tragedy - and the discovery left him speechless.
In a candid new interview with U.S. broadcaster Barbara Walters, he says, "I thought he was a victim and it wasn't until 4.35am (the following morning) that I found out by going on the Internet that he was the main suspect and there was only one killer and when I saw that, it was like... it's one's worst nightmare; I can't describe the feelings."
Elliot had left a journal detailing his murder "manifesto" and his dad admits he has struggled to mourn his death and find the will to forgive the 22 year old in the weeks since the massacre.
He explains, "It's very hard... very, very hard (to mourn his death). After reading the journal, I had a lot of anger for him and I think my job now is to replace the anger with love and forgiveness, but at the same time I'm haunted by... this human being that changed and became something else."
Walters went on to ask Rodger if he wished his son had never been born, to which he responded, "That's a really loaded question... Part of me says yes, and the reason is because he did an awful lot of harm to young men and women who didn't deserve to die, and my son did it."
The full interview is due to air on America's 20/20 news show on Friday night (27Jun14).
The Hunger Games assistant director Peter Rodger has opened up about his son's shooting rampage for the first time on TV, insisting he did not spot any warning signs to suggest his kid was a mass murderer. Elliot Rodger embarked on a vengeful killing spree on 23 May (14), shooting six people dead and injuring 13 others as part of a protest against the University of the City of Santa Barbara girls who had rejected him.
His dad has sat down for his first post-tragedy interview with U.S. journalist Barbara Walters, and he explains he feels like he is living in a nightmare.
He says, "Every night that I go to sleep I wake up and I think about those young men and women that have died and were injured and were terrorised, and my son did that. My son caused so much pain and suffering for so many families.
"It's like a reverse nightmare situation, where you go to sleep normally, you have a nightmare and then you wake up and you're like, 'Oh everything's OK'. Now I go to sleep and I might have a nice dream and then I wake up and slowly the truth of what happened dawns on me, and that is that my son was a mass murderer."
Peter insists he could have never imagined his son would hurt anyone, adding there were no signs of trouble prior to the massacre.
He continues, "There's no way that I thought that this boy could hurt a flea. This is the most unbelievable thing... that I don't get. We didn't see this coming at all."
Walters' full interview with Peter will air in the U.S. on news show 20/20 on Friday (27Jun14).
The Hunger Games assistant director Peter Rodger has teamed up with the father of a student his son killed in a rampage in Isla Vista, California last month (May14) in a bid to stamp out gun violence in the U.S. The filmmaker's son, Elliot Rodger, embarked on a vengeful killing spree on 23 May (14), shooting six people dead and injuring 13 others as part of a protest against the pretty University of the City of Santa Barbara girls who had rejected him.
Attorney Richard Martinez's son Christopher was among those killed in the incident, and the grieving dad recently put out a public plea to meet with Rodger in a bid to make sense of the madness.
The director granted the request and the two fathers met up at a coffee shop in Santa Barbara on Sunday (01Jun14), when they agreed to team up for a new campaign to make sure that such a tragedy never happens again.
Martinez says, "We plan to work together so other families such as ours will not suffer as ours have. This was a private conversation between grieving fathers who've reached common ground."
Rappers Snoop Dogg and Mc Hammer are calling on the hip-hop community to pull together and work to end gun violence forever. The Gin and Juice hitmaker signed up as the celebrity face of the League of Young Voters Education Fund's No Guns Allowed campaign last year (13) in the aftermath of the Sandy Hook school shooting, in which 20 children and six adults were gunned down in Newtown, Connecticut.
Now he has been joined by U Can't Touch This hitmaker Hammer following the Isla Vista horror in California on Friday (23May14), when Elliot Rodger, son of The Hunger Games assistant director Peter Rodger, killed six and injured 13 in a rampage in Santa Barbara. At an event to raise awareness of the campaign in San Francisco, California on Thursday (29May14), both stars took to the podium to give a speech to delegates urging them to pull together to end the scourge of gun violence blighting the U.S.
Snoop said, "We are the voices that the youth listen to. They respect us, so we are the ones that can put a half-pause on the gun violence when we speak as one whole rap community, and I feel like the rappers rapping about gun violence has definitely depreciated. It's gone down, but we don't have no (sic) effect on laws."
Hammer added, "If you look at the past 20 years, it's not rappers who are dying in the streets, it's the communities around rappers, so at this point we can divide music and entertainment from reality, and the reality is we need more men and women to stand up and say enough is enough, no more, and less violence in general."
Director James Toback has fired back at the journalist who suggested films like his 1987 romantic comedy The Pick-Up Artist inspired Elliot Rodger's killing spree in Isla Vista, California last week (23May14) . The 22-year-old son of The Hunger Games assistant director Peter Rodger killed six and injured a further 13 in a shoot-out on Friday, hours after leaving a videotaped "manifesto" expressing his frustration and bitterness about his inability to enjoy the wild student experience he expected.
In a piece in the Washington Post on Sunday (25May14), film critic Ann Hornaday suggested the frat comedies of director Judd Apatow may have left Rodger with unrealistic expectations, and compared the killer to Robert Downey, Jr.'s character in Toback's 1987 film.
Hornaday wrote, "Rodger resembled a noxious cross between Christian Bale’s slick sociopath in American Psycho, the thwarted womanizer in James Toback’s The Pick-up Artist and every Bond villain."
Responding to the comments Toback tells New York Post gossip column Page Six, "The demented and evil Elliot Rodger bares the same resemblance to Robert Downey, Jr. in his charmingly self-mocking performance in The Pick-up Artist as Ann Hornaday does to a rationally competent movie reviewer - which is to say less than zero.”
On Tuesday (27May14) Seth Rogen took to Twitter.com to slam Hornaday for suggesting his roles in Apatow's films contributed in any way to Rodger's actions, tweeting, "I find your article horribly insulting and misinformed... How dare you imply that me getting girls in movies caused a lunatic to go on a rampage."
Lena Dunham has shared a scary story of high school harassment as part of a campaign to empower women in the aftermath of the Santa Barbara massacre. A project titled #YesAllWomen has been launched on Twitter.com to encourage female users to share stories and join the debate over male treatment of women in response to Elliot Rodger's murderous rampage in California on Friday (23May14).
The son of The Hunger Games assistant director Peter Rodger killed six youngsters after detailing his bloodthirsty plans in videos, claiming he had been tormented by constant rejection by women.
Dunham joined the campaign by sharing a scary story of her own, revealing she had a frightening experience with an obsessed classmate.
She writes in a series of posts on Twitter.com. "I wish I hadn't seen the shooter's video... In high school a very disturbed boy told me if I didn't choose to love him he would make me, followed by a series of graphic threats... My school handled it quickly and never questioned how I'd 'provoked' him and it told me that I matter. I wish that for every woman."
She later adds, "Publicity isn't the problem. The abject terror this (shooting) instilled in women is... Just gotta say, on the almost-summer's day, I love you my brave web friends #YesAllWomen."
Seth Rogen and director Judd Apatow have hit back after a journalist blamed their comedy films for the Isla Vista massacre. Student Elliot Rodger, son of The Hunger Games assistant director Peter Rodger, killed six youngsters and injured 13 more victims in California on Friday (23May14) after leaving a 'manifesto' and an online video outlining his murderous intentions.
In the recording, Elliot blamed his bitterness on his inability to enjoy a wild, sex-and-booze drenched college life, and Washington Post writer Ann Hornaday penned an article on Sunday (25May14) blaming Apatow's movies and Rogen's most recent film Neighbours for portraying an unrealistic image of students.
In one passage, she wrote, "How many students watch outsized frat-boy fantasies like Neighbors and feel, as Rodger did, unjustly shut out of college life that should be full of 'sex and fun and pleasure'? How many men, raised on a steady diet of Judd Apatow comedies in which the shlubby (sic) arrested adolescent always gets the girl, find that those happy endings constantly elude them and conclude, 'It's not fair'?"
Rogen has now hit back at the journalist on Twitter.com, writing, "I find your article horribly insulting and misinformed... how dare you imply that me getting girls in movies caused a lunatic to go on a rampage."
Apatow, who worked with Rogen on Knocked Up and Superbad, also joined in the defence of their movies, adding, "She uses tragedy to promote herself with idiotic thoughts... Most of Earth can't find a mate - someone to love. People who commit murder of numerous people have mental health issues of some type."
The outspoken father of one of the victims of Friday night's (23May14) Isla Vista, California massacre has requested a meeting with The Hunger Games assistant director Peter Rodger, whose son was behind the sick killing spree.
Attorney Richard Martinez's son Christopher was killed during Elliot Rodger's vengeful rampage, and now the grieving father wants to meet with the filmmaker in a bid to make sense of the madness and launch a new campaign to make sure that such a tragedy never happens again. He says, "I lost my son. He lost his son. We have that in common. We want, if possible, that the deaths of our son and his son should mean something."
Rodger's parents feared their son needed help and his therapist called the police last month (Apr14) after viewing disturbing videos Elliot had posted online. Peter Rodger and his wife rushed to Isla Vista on Friday after seeing their son's "final" video, in which he detailed his plans for his killing spree as a protest against the pretty University of the City of Santa Barbara girls who had rejected him.
The Hunger Games assistant director Peter Rodger desperately tried to find his son Elliot after watching a chilling YouTube.com video in which the youngster outlines his massacre plan. The 22-year-old British-born student is suspected of stabbing three victims and shooting three more during a killing spree in Isla Vista, California on Friday (23May14).
At least 13 others were injured in the rampage, which ended when Rodger crashed his car and allegedly shot himself in the head after exchanging gunfire with cops.
It has now emerged Rodger's filmmaker father Peter was alerted to his son's meltdown by watching a YouTube.com video, titled 'Retribution', in which the student vows to exact "revenge against humanity" by "slaughtering" young women.
Peter Rodger and Elliot's mother Lichin reportedly contacted police and drove from Los Angeles to Santa Barbara on Friday in an attempt to find their son, but were unable to locate him.
The son of The Hunger Games assistant director Peter Rodger allegedly went on a killing spree that left six people dead in California on Friday (23May14). Elliot Rodger, a 22-year-old British-born student, is suspected of stabbing three people before driving through Isla Vista, close to the University of California, Santa Barbara campus, and shooting a further three dead.
At least 13 more people were injured.
The suspect was found dead with a gunshot wound to the head inside his crashed vehicle after exchanging gunfire with police. It is unclear if the wound was self-inflicted or if Rodger had been hit by a police bullet.
Police are examining a YouTube.com video in which a person identifying themselves as Rodger outlines his plan to exact "revenge against humanity" after feeling rejected by girls.
Investigators are trawling through a number of other videos posted online in which he also rants about romantic rejection.
Peter Rodger's lawyer Alan Shifman says the "family believes the child was the perpetrator" and is "devastated" by the killings.
He adds,"We offer our deepest, compassionate sympathy to the families involved in this terrible tragedy."