Dennis Quaid Twin Overdose Was ‘Preventable’

An accidental drug overdose given to actor Dennis Quaid‘s newborn twins could have been prevented, according to hospital chiefs.

Quaid‘s children Thomas Boone and Zoe Grace–born on Nov. 8–are fighting for their lives in Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles after they were accidentally given 10,000 unit doses of anticoagulant Heparin instead of the standard 10 units.

The hospital’s Chief Medical Officer, Michael L. Langberg, admitted the error was “preventable” and involved “a failure to follow our standard policies and procedures.”

He said, “There is no excuse for that to occur at Cedars-Sinai.”

But Langberg added the twins “indicated no adverse effects from the higher concentration of Heparin or from the temporary abnormal clotting function. Doctors continue to monitor the patients.”

He also apologized to Quaid and his wife Kimberly, reports Web site TMZ.com.

The babies are 53-year-old Quaid‘s second and third children–he already has a 17-year-old son with his ex-wife Meg Ryan.

COPYRIGHT 2007 WORLD ENTERTAINMENT NEWS NETWORK LTD. All Global Rights Reserved.

MORE WE LIKE

SIMILAR ARTICLES