Heath Ledgers Dad Reveal’s Actor’s Last Words: “I’m Fine.”

Heath Ledger, WENN, 102315
WENN

This is too heartbreaking to even comprehend. It’s been eight whole years since Heath Ledger passed away from an accidental overdose, and recently, his father Kim spoke out about how the actor’s sister tried to warn him the night before he died.

In an interview with Daily Mail Australia66-year-old Kim Ledger revealed that Heath’s sister called him up the night before the tragic overdose and tried to warn him about mixing prescription pills. It was in this conversation that the actor would say the last words he ever spoke to his family.

“His sister was on the phone to him the night before telling him not to take the prescription medications with the sleeping tablets,” he said. “He said ‘Katie, Katie, I’m fine. I know what I’m doing.'”

On January 22, 2008, Ledger was found unconscious in his bed by his housekeeper. He was declared dead shortly after paramedics arrived, and the toxicology report ruled that it was an “acute intoxication by the combined effects of oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam and doxylamine.” His death was accidental.

Kim obviously had a hard time dealing with his son’s death, but admits that it was completely the actor’s fault. “It was no one else’s – he reached for them.” he said.“He put them in his system. You can’t blame anyone else in that situation.”

Kim then admitted that lots of Heath’s problems were self-induced and caused by his busy schedule.

“There’s so much pressure on them to perform, so even though your body is telling you that it’s not good and needs time, it’s like ‘just take these painkillers and keep going.’ That was the case with Heath. He had to be back on set to finish (the next day). They were doing night shoots in the freezing cold and he had a weak chest anyway. He’d caught this (cough) and just couldn’t shake it, but he thought he had to because he wanted to get the movie done,” he said.

Ledger’s family is still having trouble coping with the actor’s untimely death. “[it’s] hard to accept because I loved him so much and was so proud of him,” Kim said.

This is all just so sad!

According to the United Nations 2014 World Drug Report, Australians are some of the biggest recreational drug users. They ranked first for ecstasy, second for opioids (like painkillers found in Ledger’s system), third for methamphetamine, fourth for cocaine and seventh for cannabis.

In a survey from ScriptWise, it was found that a quarter of Australians admit to taking prescription painkillers every month, but almost half of those people don’t know they’re addictive. Though Ledger was reportedly not addicted to painkillers, the dangers of the drugs were still present. 450 Australians die from from opioid misuse every year.

 

CURRENTLY BUZZING:

SIMILAR ARTICLES