Murphy’s mother, Sharon, found the 39 year old unresponsive on Sunday night (23May10) in the master bedroom of the Hollywood Hills home he once shared with the late actress, who died in December (09).
Attempts to revive Monjack were unsuccessful and he was pronounced dead at the scene. Officials at the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) have handed the case over to the L.A. Coroner’s office.
LAPD spokesman Sergeant Alex Ortiz tells the Associated Press, “We concluded there (were) no signs of foul play or any criminal activity involved.”
But new reports emerging in Los Angeles suggest Monjack might have suffered a drug overdose. Officials have confirmed prescription medication was found at the property, and a source tells TMZ.com, “There were a number of pill bottles on the nightstand in the bedroom, and some were empty.”
L.A. County Assistant Chief Coroner Ed Winter insists the cause of Monjack’s death won’t be known until after a post-mortem examination and toxicology tests are carried out.
He says, “Mr. Monjack was found unresponsive, paramedics responded to the house, he was pronounced dead at 9.45pm (on) Sunday. There were some prescription drugs found that belonged to Mr. Monjack, and we’ll have an ongoing investigation. Cause of death is pending, and there will be an autopsy after a day or so, and pending toxicology (reports), we’ll be releasing the results after we get all those tests back.
“The family is devastated at this time, and it is under investigation. And I ask that you give the family some privacy at this point on.”
Several stars have spoken out to pay tribute to the tragic moviemaker. In a post on her Twitter.com page, Lindsay Lohan writes, “R.I.P Simon Monjack,” while pop star-turned-actor Luke Goss, who worked with Monjack early in his movie career, adds, “Simon shared his love of film with all of us on set. He gave me my first role in film and has remained a friend ever since. I am deeply saddened by his untimely death.”