A decision last March to award British supermodel Naomi Campbell $5,450 and more than $1 million in court costs from UK’s The Daily Mirror in a breach of confidentiality claim was overturned Monday, Reuters reports. The newspaper accurately reported in February 2001 that Campbell had visited a rehab clinic and included a photograph of her leaving a Narcotics Anonymous meeting in the King’s Road, Chelsea. Campbell had always insisted she did not take drugs, stimulants or tranquilizers. A three-judge appeals court panel called the newspapers reporting “justifiable in the public interest.” Campbell said in a statement on her official Web site that she would appeal the latest ruling and added that previously lying about her drug use did not make her private life a fair target.
A spokesman for Catherine Zeta-Jones and her husband Michael Douglas said Monday the couple is expecting their second child next spring. Zeta-Jones, 33, and Douglas, 58, already have 2-year-old son named Dylan together, while Douglas has an adult son from his first marriage.
Actor Richard Harris, who plays Professor Albus Dumbledore in the Harry Potter films, has been battling cancer, BBC News reports. The 72-year-old actor was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s disease and has had a course of chemotherapy, but his agent would not say when the diagnosis was made. Harris is expected to be discharged in time to work on the third Harry Potter film, The Prisoner of Azkaban.
Roberto Benigni‘s Pinocchio set a opening weekend record at the Italian box office, taking in more than $6.9 million, The Associated Press reports. The three-day box-office returns put the film ahead of The Lord of the Rings, which raked in $5.78 million at the box office last year. Pinocchio, which at more than $40 million was the costliest Italian movie ever made, was shown on 940 screens and seen by 1.15 million people.
CBS has unveiled a new team of four anchors who will take over the Early Show from Bryant Gumbel and Jane Clayson in two weeks. The network named veteran Harry Smith, sportcaster Hannah Storm, current Early Show news reader Julie Chen and Dallas, Texas, news anchor Rene Syler to co-host the show, Reuters reports. CBS hopes the new ensemble will give the show more flexibility to send its on-air talent on the road more often.
Matt LeBlanc said he would contemplate a spin-off of the NBC comedy Friends if the idea was right and he trusted the writers and the people running the show. “It allows me to have dinner with my family every night, it allows me to sleep in my own bed every night, I can see my dogs, I can drive my own car,” LeBlanc told Zap2it.com. “You have some semblance of a real life.” LeBlanc has been on a promotional tour for his new film All the Queen’s Men, which opens Oct. 25.
British rock band Muse is threatening legal action against Celine Dion over her planned use of the title Muse for her three-year, 600-show engagement starting next March in Las Vegas, fearing it will hurt their chances of cracking the US market. Dion‘s management company offered to buy the rights to the name for $50,000, but the band rejected the offer. “We fully intend to crack America with our next album and we don’t want to turn up there with people thinking we’re Celine Dion‘s backing band,” the group’s singer, Matthew Bellamy, told BBC News.
ZZ Top’s drummer Frank Beard–the only member without a beard–has undergone an appendectomy in Paris and will be replaced on the band’s European tour by roadie John Douglas until he recuperates, Reuters reports. This is the first time in ZZ Top’s history that the band will perform without its original lineup.