The Oscar-winning actress-turned-celebrity chef treated herself to her own personal spit so she could cook duck outside for family parties.
But the star, who is married to Coldplay rocker Chris Martin, faced a catastrophe when she accidentally set a tray of duck fat on fire – causing the whole thing to go up in flames before Paltrow’s eyes.
She tells Britain’s The Graham Norton Show, “I’ve been cooking for a long time now, so I’m pretty comfortable, but I actually had a horrible disaster last summer. I got this rotisserie and I wanted to rotisserie duck and it’s the perfect thing because all the fat renders off and you’re left with crispy duck.
“You have to put drip pans underneath the duck, but I’m such a moron that I didn’t realise one of the burners was on underneath the drip pans, so one of the pans caught fire. I don’t know if you’ve ever seen duck fat on fire, but it’s like a nuclear weapon and the whole thing exploded and we had to throw bits of it in the swimming pool. I had a fire extinguisher and I lost my eyebrows.”