Simon Cowell turned down the chance to be involved in the American Idol reboot.
The music mogul was a judge on the show until he left in 2010. Now the series is being revived by ABC next year (18), names are being thrown around for the judging panel of the new version. But one person definitely not signing up for the program is Simon, who told Extra that he has “no interest” in being involved.
“I was asked to do it, and the answer is no,” he told ex-girlfriend Terri Seymour. “I have no interest. My memories are when we first started. It was a different time with Randy (Jackson), Ryan (Seacrest) and Paula (Abdul). You can’t recreate that.”
The final series of Idol saw Jennifer Lopez, Keith Urban, and Harry Connick, Jr. as the judges, and Trent Harmon emerge victorious. And while Simon didn’t say when it was he last watched the show, he did admit he had been disappointed with what he saw.
“Last time I watched, it was not the same show, just the same name. I left for a reason and I never regretted that,” he insisted.
It had been speculated that Kelly Clarkson would return to the show, which she won in 2002 and forged a successful music career from. However, the 35-year-old singer put a stop to those rumours once and for all when she announced on Thursday night that she is joining the panel of The Voice, not Idol.
Ryan Seacrest is reported to be returning to the show as host, after formerly presenting the series for 15 years, but recently signed on the dotted line to present alongside Kelly Ripa on Live with Kelly and Ryan.
While sources told Extra that Ryan is in “early discussions” to return to Idol, the presenter told the outlet that his priority is his new daytime show.
“I would love to do it, but I got this job right now,” Ryan smiled.
But Simon had an idea on how to solve the problem – get Ryan and Kelly to host Idol too!