Romeo + Juliet is a very modern take on the classic Shakespeare story. It also features a young and cute Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes. However, what went on behind the scenes while filming the eccentric movie is just as interesting as what was caught on film. Here are ten things you didn’t know about the movie.
1. During Juliet’s death scene, DiCaprio made Danes cry.
While filming she ended up crying from his speech so she smacked him on the arm after they cut saying “Don’t make me cry. I’m supposed to be comatose, here!”
2. Their first scene together was also the one where she was topless after their night together.
3. Danes wore a wig throughout the movie but also wore an aquatic wig for the underwater scenes.
4. In Australia, the soundtrack went platinum five times and was the second highest selling album of the year.
5. Billboards, magazines, and more have Shakespeare quotes on them throughout the movie.
6. Every gun in the movie is named after a type of sword.
7. Mercutio’s dying scene was filmed during a real hurricane.
8. DiCaprio made a short film version of the movie with actors as part of his audition, according to Vanity Fair.
9. Father Laurence is the only character who speaks in iambic pentameter.
10. The roll cage in Tybalt’s car collapsed and almost caused the stunt driver to break his neck.