How well do you really know the minions? Can you sing the Banana Song perfectly? Did you know they all have names? If you didn’t, you might want to educate yourself with these 13 facts.
1. These adorable little guys are all voiced by the same guy.
Pierre Coffin, the French animator responsible for directing both of the Despicable Me movies, as well as Minions, is the voice for all of the minions.
2. The minions aren’t just speaking gibberish all the time.
Their language was actually created just for Despicable Me, combining Japanese, Spanish, Korean, and English words to make up the bizarre dialect. “Banana” is still the same, though!
3. Minions only have three fingers.
4. All of the minions’ names are male names.
5. You can tell some of them apart and use their real names, too: Dave, Stuart, Kevin, Tim, Jerry, Mark, and Phil.
6. According to voice actor and director Pierre Coffin, there are 899 Minions in all.
7. Minions can travel and even live in space, because they can breathe up there. Do we trust them up there, though?
8. The average minion is about 105cm tall.
9. Eric Guillon is the French art director responsible for creating the minions.
10. There are a whole set of “evil” purple Minions who also love bananas, but they also have wild purple hair and more mischievous personalities.
11. There have been 7 short films created featuring the minions: Orientation Day, Home Makeover, Brady & Gary, Minion Mayhem 3D, Training Wheels, Puppy, and Panic in the Mailroom.
12. Minion Bob has heterochromia, which means both of his eyes are a different color.
13. The minions have sang several versions of popular songs, including “Barbara Ann” from the Beach Boys and the Village People’s “YMCA.”