As many a wine-based analogy has taught us, there are many things that get a whole lot better with age. But some things don’t really have to — they were just fine to begin with. That can be said of the great Shirley Bassey, the singer who immortalized the title theme to the 1964 James Bond classic Goldfinger.
In the five decades that have passed since the songstress’ original performance of “Goldfinger,” it doesn’t seem that a single tweak or amendment has gone into her delivery. In honor of the 50-year anniversary of Agent 007’s cinematic lifespan, Bassey took to the Academy Awards stage to revive the musical number, in the exact form that we first saw back in ’64. Same notes hit, same slivering hand motions, same old charms.
Check out Bassey’s original “Goldfinger” here:
[Photo Credit: Kevin Winter/Getty Images]
Oscars 2013 Special Coverage
• Anne Hathaway: Oscar’s Worst Dressed?
• Seth MacFarlane’s Opening: How’d He Do?
• Adele’s Performance Gets Mixed Reviews
• 15 Oscar-Winning Nude Scenes
• What Happened to Renee Zellweger’s Face?
• Oscars 2013: The Full Winners List
• The Winner, According to You