Bridget Jones’s Diary was able to retell the story of Pride & Prejudice with a modern day twist . Bridget’s quirky personality makes us all root for her. We also got a chance to fall in love with Colin Firth all over again. But what all went into making the movie? Here are ten things you didn’t know about the romantic movie.
1. Before there was a book or movie the character was in a column of The Independent for ten years!
2. The book has the same plot as Pride & Prejudice because Bridget Jones author Helen Fielding was obsessed with the series starring Colin Firth.
Fielding told Bustle “And so I just stole the plot and then the book increasingly began to mimic and nick stuff from Pride and Prejudice. But it’s a very good plot and I thought Jane Austen wouldn’t mind, and anyway she’s dead.”
3. Fielding was warned against trying to access American audiences because of the humor.
“There is a perception in England that our sense of humor is different from America,” she told Powells. “There was even a letter in The Evening Standard saying, ‘Don’t go there, Bridget. They won’t get it because they don’t understand irony and self-deprecation.’ But I don’t think that’s true. People laugh more here at readings. Maybe they just laugh more, but they definitely get it.”
4. Renee Zellweger gained 25 pounds for the role by eating tons of pizza and pasta.
5. She also worked at a publishing house to prepare and no one recognized her.
6. Part of that job required her to cut out tabloid stories dissing her for being an American taking the British role.
7. The actress opted to smoke herbal cigarettes instead of tobacco.
8. The fight scene was totally improvised.
9. After they were done filming Zellweger had to work at getting her American accent back.
10. Before taking the role of Mr. Darcy, Colin Firth tried to figure out who would play him in the sequel.
In the book, Bridget interviews Firth so it makes sense to ask how they would go about that. His agents asked and they came back saying “There are currently no plans to feature a character named Colin Firth.” He took the job and so they stuck with their decision.