It’s hard to believe this month we will be celebrating the 20th anniversary of ’90s cult teen movie Clueless. Starring a then 18-year-old Alicia Silverstone, there wasn’t a second of the movie which didn’t have us in serious LOL mode. From the clothes to the cars, slang and cast of characters, it will forever go down in move history as a must-see. In honor of it’s second decade entertaining audiences worldwide, here’s 20 facts you might not know about the iconic film.
1. Director Amy Heckerling is also the director behind fellow teen cult classic Fast Times At Ridgemont High.
2. Reese Witherspoon was in the running to play the role of Cher.
3. The movie was originally pitched as a television show to be called No Worries or Clueless In California.
4. At the time of filming, Alicia Silverstone was the only cast member in her teens.
5. Brittany Murphy was a real life virgin who couldn’t drive when she delivered this line:
6. There are 53 types of plaid which show up in the movie’s costumes.
7. It only took 40 days to shoot the entire movie.
8. Amy Heckerling’s fear of driving on the freeway inspired this movie scene:
9. Cher’s mispronunciation of Haitians wasn’t scripted.
Alicia Silverstone didn’t know how to pronounce it. Amy Heckerling left it in because it went along perfectly with the character’s personality.
10. The movie is a loose retelling of the Jane Austen novel Emma.
11. Back then, actors didn’t want to audition for gay characters, making the casting of Cher’s crush Christian the most difficult part to cast.
12. Paramount issued a “How To Speak Cluelessly” booklet to help with the film’s promotion and publicity.
13. Unlike her character, Alicia Silverstone knew nothing about fashion when she accepted the role.
14. Although Cher’s character turned her nose up at any home below Sunset Blvd., her Beverly Hills mansion is actually located in Encino, a suburb in the valley.
15. Sarah Michelle Geller was originally offered the role of Cher, but had to turn it down due to scheduling conflicts.
16. Paul Rudd initially wanted to play Christian or Murray, but ended up accepting the role of Cher’s nerdy former step-brother Josh.
17. Mr. Hall was based off a real teacher who made a cameo in the movie playing the high school’s principal.
18. Cher’s last name is Horowitz but on her report card it appears as Hamilton.
19. The cast had such a hard time playing suck and blow during the movies party scene, the cast had to apply generous amounts of chapstick to get their lips to stick to the prop cards.
20. Amy Heckerling made a cameo at the very end of the film as Ms. Geist’s maid-of-honor.