The Underworld franchise has been able to sustain itself for a long time now, which shows that original stories can still make it in Hollywood. Of course, now that we have multiple sequels and prequels to the vampire and werewolf saga, there are a ton of interesting behind-the-scenes facts. Here are ten things you didn’t know about the franchise.
1. A sequel and prequel were greenlit just based off of the number of tickets sold in Canada alone.
The film hadn’t even premiered in the U.S. yet.
3. Wiseman wanted David Bowie to be a vampire at the feast in the first movie, but it didn’t work out.
5. Underworld: Evolution almost got a NC-17 rating due to violence and the amount of nudity in the original cut of Michael and Selene’s sex scene.
6. Tony Curran had it in his contract that he would be allowed to wear his fangs even when he wasn’t shooting
7. Bill Nighy didn’t watch any of the movies until working on Underworld: Evolution when he watched the first movie.
He still prefers to not watch his own work.
8. For some of the bigger werewolves in Underworld: Rise of the Lycans they had to use a man in a suit with a mix of CGI.
9. Kate Beckinsale was going to be done with the franchise after the trilogy but returned to the role after Weisman told her its future story
10. Underworld: Blood Wars is Anna Foerster‘s directorial debut.
Underworld: Blood Wars debuts in theathers January 6, 2017. Check out the trailer below.