It’s been over 20 years since the original Jumanji hit theaters. The legendary Robin Williams starred opposite Kirsten Dunst in the fantastical film about a tattered old board game that unleashed an unimaginable world. With the upcoming 2017 Jumanji sequel underway, here are 11 things you never knew about the beloved original film.
1. Jumanji is a Zulu word.
It means “many effects”.
Dunst was just 13 when she filmed the role
3. The Jumanji board from the film sold on Ebay for $60,800.
By the way, there are 110 spaces on the board.
4. While filming the scene where the monkeys steal the police car, Stuntwoman Betty Thomas lost control of the vehicle and slammed into a tree while driving at 60mph.
Thankfully, she was not injured.
5. The rumor that an elephant was killed during filming is completely false.
All of the animals used on Jumanji were CGI.
6. Even though Kristen Dunst plays Peter’s older sister, Judy, Dunst and Bradley Pierce who played Peter are only 6 months apart in age.
The also played siblings in the TV movie The Siege at Ruby Ridge.
7. You might recognize Pierce’s voice because he voiced Chip in Beauty and the Beast.
Find out what we know about it so far here.
9. When the film premiered, the late-Robin Williams refused to let his kids watch it.
They were all under 7-years old at the time, and he thought it would be too scary for them.
10. The final scene in the film was shot first.
As shooting went on, the crew began destroying the set to match the game.
11. Kirsten Dunst spent two weeks in a water tank while filming the monsoon scenes.
Her mom would send her sandwiches by raft during lunch.