We’re getting another installment of Pirates of the Caribbean, which will make five movies. Johnny Depp has been able to make Jack Sparrow into a memorable and funny character. Although you’ve seen all the movies there are probably things you still didn’t know about the franchise. Here are 12 things you didn’t know about the series.
1. Robert De Niro was offered the role of Jack Sparrow but turned it down because he didn’t think it would be successful.
2. Johnny Depp modeled the character after The Rolling Stones‘ Keith Richards.
3. Depp ended up getting a replica of Jack Sparrow’s tattoo.
4. Depp improvised Sparrow’s catch phrase “Savvy.”
5. The Black Pearl and The Flying Dutchman were actually built after the first movie for the sequels.
6. Tim Burton helped with the concept of The Flying Dutchman.
7. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest was the first film to reach $100 million in just two days.
8. It was also banned in China for the cannibal plot line.
9. Ragetti and Pintel didn’t get names until Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End.
11. On Stranger Tides was also banned in China for having ghosts and referencing the supernatural.
12. It is also the most expensive movie ever made with a whopping budget of $378.5 million dollars.