It’s been 20 years since Trainspotting was released. The gritty low-budget movie is now a cult classic and it finally looks like we will be getting a sequel in 2017. But what don’t you know about the first movie? Here are ten things you never knew about Trainspotting.
1. It only took seven and a half weeks to shoot the movie
2. Since there was such a small budget, most of the scenes were done in just one take.
3. The crew wanted someone who was unknown to play Diane, so they found Kelly Macdonald while handing out flyers.
4. Robert Carlyle said he played Begbie as a closeted gay man who was scared of being outed.
5. Ewan McGregor learned how to cook up heroin but never injected to prepare for the role.
6. He also avoided dairy products and alcohol to lose weight and look like an addict.
7. The Worst Toilet in Scotland is actually covered in chocolate.
8. An arm prosthetic was used for the scenes where McGregor injects himself.
9. The movie pays homage to A Clockwork Orange by having the same writing on the wall in Volcano Nightclub.
10. Kelly MacDonald invited her mother and brother on set the same day she was filming her sex scene.