We’ve been waiting for our Hogwarts letter for over 15 years now, and though theoretically we know it would have been an amazing place to study magic, the teaching staff often left little to be desired. Here are 16 times Hogwarts Professors were legit garbage at their jobs.
1. Let’s just start with Professor Trelawney….. Admittedly, she came through in the clutch with prophecies that actually mattered. However, as a day-to-day seer in the art of Divination she was the absolute WORST.
Even Hermione couldn’t be bothered to learn anything useful from her, and that’s saying A LOT.
2. Um…so no one was going to stop Harry from participating in the Triwizard Tournament when he was only 14-years old?!
We get that the tournament rules were magically binding and what not, but surely Professor Dumbledore and Professor McGonagall could have come up with something to help bend the rules.
3. Speaking of Dumbledore, we all adore him, but was it really all that wise for him to allow Harry to go with him to find one of Voldemort’s horcurxes?
Not only did the incident lead to his death, but it was all for nothing. His absence also allowed the Death Eaters to infiltrate Hogwarts.
4. Let us not forget that it was Professor Slughorn who told Voldemort about horcuxes to begin with.
This was in addition to his creepy habit of collecting students.
5. We realize that Barty Crouch Jr. was posing as Mad-Eye Moody, but what teacher performs all three Unforgivable Curses in front of his students?
You would have thought he wanted to be more low-key during his time at Hogwarts.
6. Let’s not even get into the fact that he turned Malfoy into a ferret.
Not that the blonde baddie didn’t deserve it.
7. Should we even bother discussing how horrendous Umbridge was?!
Not only was she the Queen of Evil, but she also used corporal punishment against her students. She also had the nerve to have the most ghastly wardrobe known to man.
8. And we almost forgot about the fact that she used veritaserum on students.
SHE WAS ACTUAL TRASH!
9. Let’s get into the fact that dementors were allowed on Hogwarts grounds. We get that the Ministry of Magic thought that Sirius Black had escaped Azakaban to go after Harry, but the fact that Dumbledore allowed this to go down was insane!
Who allows soul suckers to be around innocent children?!
10. Speaking of soul sucking… we get that Snape was in his feelings about James and Lily, but he began bullying Harry from the moment he entered his Potions classroom!
11. We adore Hagrid, but why did he think it was OK to allows kids to be around hippogriffs and blast ended skrewts?
It’s no wonder Ron, Harry and Hermione dropped Care of Magical Creatures after their fifth year.
12. Did no one fact check Gilderoy Lockhart’s background before he was hired at Hogwarts?!
We get that the school was desperate for a Defense Against the Dark Arts professor, but the man was obviously a buffoon.
13. Let’s not even get into the school’s “acceptable” forms of detention.
Though Umbridge’s magical quills were horrendous, traipsing around the Forbidden Forrest and signing fan mail for hours doesn’t exactly build character either.
14. Can we talk about Professor Quirrell’s diabolical plot to snag the Sorcerer’s Stone and kill Harry?
15. Remember when Madame Hooch left the first years to fend for themselves after Neville was injured….
Rule number one of being an adult, never leave kids unsupervised.
16. And finally who in their right mind allowed Filch to remain at Hogwarts year after year?!
We’re not discriminating against squibs but he was TRAGIC. As time went on he just more and more ornery and crotchety.
This 'Harry Potter' Fan Theory Changes Everything We Thought We Knew About Neville Longbottom
11 Magical Things That 'Harry Potter' Taught Us About Love & Friendship
25 Times The Actors From 'Harry Potter' Forgot They Were Supposed To Be Distinguished Wizards
40 Behind The Scenes 'Harry Potter' Facts To Store In Your Pensieve