I’m going to start this out by saying the original ‘Lion King’ was one of my favorite movies as a kid.
When Disney announced that Jon Favreau would be remaking the classic film in CGI, I was a little apprehensive (as with most things). I wasn’t a huge fan of his 2016 adaptation of ‘The Jungle Book’. Then the voice cast came out, and its a list of omg that’s perfect to wow I never knew I wanted to hear that.
Let’s go down the line.
- James Earl Jones as Mufasa (The original cannot be beaten)
- Chiwetel Ejiofor as Scar (Just yes.)
- Billy Eichner as Timon (ok I can see that)
- Seth Rogen as Pumbaa (Who can’t wait for Pumbaa to have Seth’s Hehehehe laugh?)
- John Oliver as Zazu (This is my I never knew I wanted to see that pick)
- Beyoncé as Nala (Cool.)
- and finally for this list, Donald Glover as Simba (all hail the king).
So with that stellar casting, I was excited. Now that the first teaser has been released, I’m even more excited. The second we hear Mufasa’s voice with the most realistic looking CGI animals it feels like something big. Then the familiar song “The Circle of Life’ hits and those chills just happen. When we see young Simba, we know that we could feel for this young cub with what he has to go through. Older Simba’s roar just shows the potential of this movie.
This is just a reminder that currently scheduled releases in 2019, Disney will have Lion King, Dumbo, Aladdin, Toy Story 4, Captain Marvel, Spider-Man: Far From Home, Avengers 4, and Star Wars Episode IX.
Take all my money.
‘The Lion King’ releases July 19, 2019.