Hollywood.com Box Office is reporting that Summit Entertainment (A Lionsgate Company) announced this morning that The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2 kicked off its quest for global box office domination with an estimated global gross of $162.2 million.
In North America, the film completed its opening day with an impressive $71.2 million (that includes $30.4 million for all Thursday shows starting at 10 PM and midnight shows) in 4,070 locations to easily top the box office both here and abroad. The studio is estimating a weekend gross in the range of $135 million. And Breaking Dawn - Part 2 received an “A” Cinemascore (A+ with audiences under 25) according to Summit.
The $71.2 million opening day North American estimate would represent the sixth highest opening day in box office history right behind only last year’s Breaking Dawn - Part 1 with $71.6 million, and New Moon with $72.7 million, but does include the Thursday previews.
Top Single-Day Movie Grosses Of All-Time:
1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (WARNER BROS.) opened Friday, July 15, 2011 with $91,071,119.
2. The Avengers (DISNEY/MARVEL) opened Friday, May 4, 2012 with $80,813,985.
3. The Dark Knight Rises Again (WARNER BROS.) opened Friday, July 20, 2012 with $75,754,897.
4. The Twilight Saga: New Moon (SUMMIT ENT.) opened Friday, Nov. 20, 2009 with $72,703,754.
5. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 (SUMMIT ENT.) opened Friday, Nov. 18, 2011 with $71,642,526.
6. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2 (SUMMIT ENT.) opened Friday, Nov. 16, 2012 (includes Thursday previews and 12:01 Friday shows of $30.4 million) with $71,200,000.
7. The Avengers (DISNEY/MARVEL) second day of release, on Saturday May 5, 2012 with $69,557,990.
8. The Twilight Saga: Eclipse (SUMMIT ENT.) opened Wednesday, June 30, 2010 with $68,533,840.
9. The Hunger Games (LIONSGATE) opened Friday, March 23, 2012 with $67,263,650.
10. The Dark Knight Rises (WARNER BROS.) opened Friday July 18, 2008 with $67,165,092.
[Photo Credit: Summit Entertainment]'Twilight': The 'Twilight' Years
From Our Partners: