Michael Greene, head of the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences, announced the cancellation as buildings around the Los Angeles area were being closed or evacuated as a precaution, Reuters reported.
A spokesman for the academy, Bernard Alonso, said Greene decided to call off the awards show "in light of the events that have been transpiring," referring to the flights that crashed early Tuesday morning, collapsing the twin towers of the World Trade Center in Manhattan and damaging the Pentagon and resulting in as yet untold injuries and fatalities.
Organizers of the Latin Grammy Awards had already planned to do away with the standard red carpet arrivals of the stars, and many people involved in the show, including nominees, were relieved upon hearing that the broadcast had been canceled.
"We can't think about music right now. The only feeling we can have now is about the families involved by this tragedy and our security," Andres Recio, personal manager for Colombian rocker nominee, Juanes, told Reuters.
The Latin Grammys have been surrounded by political controversy for weeks, having changed their location from Miami to Los Angeles, amidst fears that anti-Castro protestors might create disturbances during the event.
According to a Latin recording executive, the Grammys will most likely be rescheduled at a later date. "Who wants to be in a public place with thousands of people under these circumstances?'' he said.