Parts of Van Susteren's interview, the first on-camera talk with Osbourne since his wife was diagnosed with colon cancer earlier this summer, were set to air Thursday on the newsmagazine The Pulse. A more extended version is scheduled to air Friday on Fox News' On the Record With Greta Van Susteren.
"I want to be by my wife's side like any loving husband," Osbourne told Van Susteren. "It lasted a week because I was getting on Sharon's nerves ... to the point where I'm going, 'Are you OK, baby? Do you need anything?' And I'm crying, 'Oh, my baby,' and she said, 'Look, you're driving me nuts -- go back where you belong."'
On Wednesday, however, a lawyer for Osbourne sent the network a letter claiming Fox News was supposed to interview the former Black Sabbath singer about the 25th anniversary of Elvis Presley's death.
The letter, according to The Hollywood Reporter, said, "This interview was conducted under false pretenses, in violation of our clients' legal rights and contrary to established journalistic standards and is being falsely advertised."
In a letter to Osbourne's lawyer Thursday, Fox News responded by saying that Osbourne had "willingly and voluntarily" sat for a two-hour taped interview "without restrictions or perimeters," adding that the network neither prepared nor aired a Presley special.
Insiders said the network would go ahead with the broadcast, with Pulse and On the Record expected to air in full Friday at 10 p.m.
It has been reported that Osbourne's change of heart stems from the fact that he had promised ABC News' Barbara Walters an exclusive sit-down to air sometime in the fall.
However, a spokeswoman for ABC said the network doesn't discuss its bookings in advance.