According to the TV programs Entertainment Tonight, Access Hollywood and Extra, the wedding has been postponed because of the media blitz surrounding the ceremony.
Us Weekly magazine reported that the reception would occur at Sotto Il Monte, a private $29 million estate in the Montecito area near Santa Barbara, Calif. Guests including Matt Damon, Bruce Willis, Matthew Perry and Alec Baldwin were expected to attend, the magazine said.
The Daily News, meanwhile, reported earlier this week that the ceremony would take place on a hillside "maybe at a winery," near Santa Barbara. A rehearsal dinner was set for Saturday, the wedding slated for the following day. The article also said that to keep the plans closely under wraps, about 400 guests were invited by phone last week and were told details would be hand-delivered four days before the wedding.
But according to Extra, the invited guests were told the wedding was off, at least for now, because its privacy had been jeopardized. The show quoted a source close to the couple as saying Affleck and Lopez feel things have "gotten out of control" and that at this point, they would prefer to sneak off at a later date with only their immediate families.
Hundreds of reporters, photographers and TV crews descended upon the usually quiet seaside town just north of Los Angeles hoping to get close to the event.