General News

News, Jan. 5: Anna Nicole Appeals Inheritance Decision, Keira Knightley Denies Eating Disorder, Jennifer Garner Cancels "Elektra" Duties Due to Illness, More…

By:
Jan 05, 2005 | 8:30am EST

Anna Nicole's lawyer to appeal inheritance decision

Anna Nicole Smith's lawyer has vowed to continue fighting for rights to money left in the will of her late husband J. Howard Marshall. Last week the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit overturned a decision by a lower California federal court awarding the former stripper more than $88 million from Marshall's businessman son E. Pierce Marshall. But Smith's lawyer Howard K. Stern has pledged to make a request for the full appeals court to rehear the case and will appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court if necessary. Stern says the court "on a legal technicality, reversed the judgments of two federal courts that found massive fraud and other wrongdoing by E Pierce Marshall by which he deprived (Smith) of the property that her husband intended her to have." The model-turned-reality-star was 26 when she married the 89-year-old Marshall in 1994. He died less than a year later.

Knightley hits out at eating disorder claim

Keira Knightley has hit out at speculation she has an eating disorder--and credits her genes for her slim physique. The King Arthur actress is adamant her figure is naturally slight, and insists she rarely works out to maintain her ultra-toned midriff. Knightley says, "My dad's (Will Knightley) tall and thin, so this is my body. I can pretty well eat anything I want and I don't work out as I find it very boring." But the 19-year-old admits there has been a history of eating disorders in her family. She adds, "Saying that, however, my grandmother had anorexia in the 1940s--a time when it wasn't fashionable to be thin."

Ailing Garner fighting to be fit for premiere

Ben Affleck's new girlfriend Jennifer Garner is battling a viral infection as she prepares for this weekend's Elektra premiere in Las Vegas. The actress has cancelled her promotional duties for the film after falling ill just before New Year's Eve. Her publicist Nicole King says, "She's taking it day by day."

Kilmer pranksters hit Toronto

Thousands of pictures of actor Val Kilmer have been plastered all over buildings in Toronto, Canada. City officials are losing their battle with the pranksters, thought to be associated with a local band who share a name with the Wonderland actor. According to British newspaper the Daily Record, a post on the Internet hints, "The Val Kilmer Tagging Caper used to be known as Val Kilmer, and the graffiti was advertising for their band."

Rourke bitter with Kidman

Actor Mickey Rourke claims Nicole Kidman had him fired from 2003 movie In The Cut, because she didn't want to work with him. Kidman was originally cast as the leading lady in the Jane Campion thriller alongside Rourke. Kidman eventually pulled out and was replaced by Meg Ryan--but not before losing Rourke the leading man role that went to Mark Ruffalo, according to Rourke. He snipes, "I got the part and the lead girl who was supposed to work in the movie said, 'I'm not working with Mickey Rourke' because she'd rather work with little f**king boys who she can f**king kick around. F**k her."

Hilton hated death job

Paris Hilton was "devastated" when she found out TV bosses told her she had to be a morgue attendant in her reality show The Simple Life 3. The heiress and her co-star Nicole Richie hated moving bodies and driving a hearse, but they did it for the hit program which airs this month. Hilton says, "The worst job was working in the morgue where we had to move bodies and drive the hearse." Richie adds, "I don't like dead bodies and that was horrible."

Swank deals out justice to club bully

Hilary Swank saved a frightened girl from the attentions of a persistent man recently, when she used the skills she picked up training for new boxing movie Million Dollar Baby and pushed the assailant away. The Oscar-winning actress spotted the man grabbing a girl's arm when she refused to give him her phone number in a Hollywood club. So Swank, who plays a female boxer in the new Clint Eastwood film, marched up to the guy and asked him to leave the woman alone. When the disgruntled man said, "Yeah, and what are you going to do about it?", the brave star replied, "I'm warning you. Back off." Swank then escorted the woman to a lift, but the man followed them. An onlooker says, "Hilary fiercely pushed him away from the doors which closed before he could recover."

Cruise is secret agony uncle

Tom Cruise has become Hollywood's secret go-to big-name business agony uncle after proving he can keep his peers' problems to himself. The movie star confesses stars often turn to him for career advice and business help. He says, "They want to know different aspects of the business of acting and I love helping them. I don't discuss it with anybody. People trust me because I don't gossip. Someone tells me something, and I'm not the person who will ever disclose it to anybody else. That's just not me."

Cage praises stone's sexual power

Actor Nicolas Cage is thrilled he's had his wedding ring set with a special gemstone--because it's dramatically enhanced his sex life. Cage is convinced the mystical carnelian rock is filling his body with heightened pleasures during steamy bedroom sessions with his 20-year-old wife Alice Kim. The frank actor reveals, "It's good for my sex life. I'm very much into stones." The amber gem is supposed to stimulate an owner's spleen, improve the quality of their blood and have calming effects on the wearer.

Star Wars actors reunited

Actors Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Natalie Portman and Ewan McGregor have teamed up with other stars of all six Star Wars movies for a new Vanity Fair photo spread. The magazine grouped together 22 major performers in the legendary franchise, inviting cast members from the original 1977 film Star Wars: Episode IV--A New Hope to this year's final installment Star Wars: Episode III--Revenge of the Sith. Mastermind George Lucas, who directed four of the intergalactic movies, joined Ford, Fisher, Portman and McGregor as well as original Luke Skywalker star Mark Hamill, Samuel L. Jackson, Liam Neeson and Hayden Christensen. Robots R2-D2 and C3PO also joined their human co-stars for the reunion shoot. Lucas admits the final part of the opening trilogy marks the end of an era in his career--and he now plans to stop making successful films. He says, "I'm going to make movies nobody wants to see. I've earned the right to fail."

Articles Copyright World Entertainment News Network All Rights Reserved.

More General News
 
comments powered by Disqus