Liam Payne's best friend has heaped praise on the One Direction star for trying to save his life by putting out flames with his bare hands during a horror blaze at his London apartment last month (Sep13). Andy Samuels underwent seven skin grafts for third-degree burns he sustained after a patio heater exploded on the balcony of Payne's flat, and now he has saluted his pop star pal for his bravery and quick thinking. Samuels tells Britain's Sunday Mirror, "I can still see Liam trying to put out the flames with his hands. I was set completely on fire - terror is the only word fit to describe what I was feeling. The pain and the panic I felt is something no one should have to go through. "I was the one that was injured, but it was a crazy, horrible experience for Liam to witness as well. He was trying to help me but I thought I was going to die." The 21 year old insists Payne has been calling him daily while on tour in Australia to boost his spirits and check up on his recovery. Samuels says, "Having your best friend there for you like Liam has made this so much easier. His support has been incredible and we're in contact pretty much constantly every day, even though he's in Australia at the moment. We talk about everything but I'll update him about my recovery every now and then. "I've had some really low moments, lying in hospital, too scared to even look at myself in the mirror to see the damage but Liam and my family and girlfriend were there to talk me round. I think Liam was affected by what he witnessed but he didn't talk about that, just about how he knew I would be all right. And he was right - four weeks later and I'm still breathing and I'm doing normal things like going shopping with my nan (grandmother)."