Celebrity News

Jury Rules Daniel Smith Died from Overdose

By:
Mar 31, 2008 | 9:15am EDT

Anna Nicole Smith's son Daniel died from an accidental drug overdose, a jury looking into his death has ruled.

Daniel died in the Bahamas in September 2006, just three days after his mother, Anna Nicole, gave birth to her daughter Dannielynn.

The inquest aimed to establish the 20-year-old's exact cause of death, and in the five months since its November start has heard testimony from Anna Nicole's former lovers Larry Birkhead and Howard K. Stern, as well as a number of Daniel's friends.

Autopsy results released in December found that Smith died as a result of a lethal combination of methadone and antidepressants Zoloft and Lexapro.

Earlier this month, the magistrate instructed the jury to discuss four possible options as the cause of death--accident, misadventure, non-dependent drug use and an open verdict--after banning the option of homicide.

The seven-member jury in Nassau, Bahamas, deliberated for less than two hours before delivering its verdict on Monday.

The jury has recommended no criminal charges be filed.

COPYRIGHT 2008 WORLD ENTERTAINMENT NEWS NETWORK LTD. All Global Rights Reserved.

More Celebrity News