After a tragically Impala-less summer for fans, and a torturously long year in Purgatory for Dean, the Winchester brothers are back — and, truth be told, they're not exactly better than ever. Hollywood.com was able to screen Supernatural's Season 8 premiere episode, "We Need To Talk About Kevin," with executive producers Jeremy Carver and Robert Singer on Monday, and we were pleased as punch to see a return to form for the series, which has had its fair share of stumbles over the last two seasons. In short, the episode was excellent, and we were anxious for more when the end credits came along to spoil all the fun.
Most dedicated SPN fans probably already know that while Dean spent the last year fighting monsters in Purgatory, Sam was off knocking boots with a hot vet named Amelia (Liane Balaban). Season 8 begins with the brothers' first post-Purgatory meeting, and let's just say it's not exactly their warmest moment. But enough with the negatives — here are the top five things we loved about the Supernatural Season 8 premiere (SPOILERS AHEAD):
1. A Whole New Dean (and Sam?): Dean comes back from Purgatory a changed man. While his wry sense of humor and undying love for his brother are still very present, his experiences down below have turned him into a hardened warrior with enough painful memories to justify a trip to the loony bin. Meanwhile, Sam spent the past year developing a cozy life with Amelia, leaving any trace of his hunting life behind. And guess what? He liked it. Unlike Dean, who was unable to live a comfortable, hunt-less life with Lisa, Sam adapted well to the simple life.
Their polar opposite views on the necessity of hunting would have led to conflict no matter what, but when you add the fact that Sam didn't even look for Dean — ouch! — and that he virtually abandoned Kevin, you get a brotherly mess that won't be completely mopped up anytime soon. Dean is pissed, while Sam just wants him to understand that every problem doesn't need to be their problem. So, basically, expect some meaty drama down the line!
2. Yes, We Do Need To Talk About Kevin: ... because he is wonderful. The former Princeton applicant has honed his prophet skills over the past year, and has a refreshing sense of humor about his terrible predicament. He is a great contrast to the typically super-serious Winchester brothers, and delivers the hands-down best line of the premiere. You'll know it when you hear it.
3. Benny, Benny, Benny: Getting out of Purgatory is no easy feat, and for Dean, his escape rested entirely on the shoulders of a mysterious vampire named Benny (Ty Olsson). We see their bloody, mistrustful first meeting down below, but by the time they are freed, there seems to be a warm bond between the two. Dean doesn't mention Benny to Sam, and we think we know why — first, because Dean murdered Sam's friend Amy just for being a monster, and second, because there are things Dean did in Purgatory that he does not want Sam to know about. Of course he'll eventually find out, and the issue of Benny should be a interesting debate over the course of the season. We also can't wait to see how their relationship formed down below, which brings us to our next point...
4. Flashbacks Galore: Supernatural has definitely used flashbacks in the past, but this season they'll be an essential component to the present plot. Since Dean (and to a lesser extent, Sam) are keeping their apart-year close to the vest, the writers are using flashbacks to show viewers what happened both above and below, which will help us understand the brothers' state of mind going forward. We see Dean meeting Benny and Sam meeting Amelia in the premiere, but how those relationships developed will be a big part of coming episodes, while the present plot still moves forward.
5. Crowley is Still Crowley: It looks like Crowley is going to be a big bad this year, and we couldn't be happier. While we don't want to give away too much about his actions in the premiere, let's just say he gets a solid taste of his own medicine, then exacts some brutal revenge. You're going to love to hate him, as per the usual.
It's your turn, Supernatural fans: What are you most excited for this season? Let us know in the comments!
Follow Shaunna on Twitter @HWShaunna
[PHOTO CREDIT: The CW]