Meyers is the main frontrunner, according to entertainment site Showbiz 411, which adds that former Giants player Michael Strahan and singer Josh Groban are runners-up.
A few years ago, he might not have been ready for the massive responsibility. In fact, in 2008, he told Hollywood.com he’d be nervous about doing a show every weekday.
“The idea of doing a show five nights a week is terrifying and daunting…I’m thrilled to do a show once a week for right now,” he told us. “You walk before you run.”
But now, four years and many
SNL episodes later, he has a lot more experience and maturity under his belt.
So what exactly makes the 38-year-old comedian uniquely qualified for the job? Let us count the ways.
1. He’s not afraid to let his co-star take center stage.
2. He has great chemistry with Kelly and isn’t afraid to call another guy sexy. VIDEO
3. The President owes him one.
4. He can hilariously skewer news of the day on a live show without seeming mean-spirited.
5. He can hold his own against other funnypeople (Colbert!).